Jack's in, or "Shortliners shortline"

shortliner

A quick spray over with some rattlecans - yes, I know the lamps need repainting! - and we find the boxcab pulling a string of boxcars off the "float". I'll have to see what I can get hold of, Warren - there are problems getting Floquil and Badger in UK, has to do with shipping liquids by air (9/11 and all that).

There is a surprising amount of apparent "depth" behind the gantry - when you realise that it is hard against the backscene!

post-6688-127290705865.jpg

Floquil is available, there is an importer*, and the brand owner Testors now supply Dullcote again.

Badger are acrylic paints, rather like Polly S and are not restricted, but plenty of ordinary modelling paints are just as good when exact colour matches are not required. All acrylics of whatever make can be modified with artists watercolours, and all makes intermix well. The new Hornby Acrylics are also quite good, but not as consistant as Badger, who do pre-thinned paints, a bit of a waste of money!

All my painting is airbrushed cellulose thinned car synthetic enamel, or Phoenix, which is synthetic enamel as well, and can be thnned with cellulose thinners as well as their own. They cover most US colours from the UK range.

*I will try to find the reference.

Stephen.

I was hoping that some Letraset, that I've ordered to letter the gantry, would arrive with the postie this morning, but it appears to be lost in the ashcloud from that unpronouncable (Eyjafjallajökull? What sort of a name is that?) volcano in Iceland. I did, however, have an unexpected phonecall and visit from my friend, Dave Barclay, from faraway Darn Sarf, who is visiting relations in the area and showed off my, as yet, unwired layout. He is only the third person, after me and SWMBO, to see it in the flesh as it were. He took some photos of the layout, and will probably post them when he gets back within reach of a computer. He will be displaying his Kuppla Yard layout at the Trent Valley North American Show on May 15th - it has some excellent lighting effects and will be well worth a look . If you have been considering a visit to the Derby show that day, it is fairly close by so try to get to both - I know they will be delighted to see you, and it will be a chance to see US models now that ArdenRail has been cancelled.

Glad you like it Ursa Major - My 'puter threw its power supply yesterday, so I'm using my very old IBM Thinkpad laptop running Windows 2000, and fortunately have no real progress that would require photos - I've decided that I can't cope with the racket from the boxcab chassis (coffee grinder full of pebbles doesn't even begin to describe the row) so they will all heve them replaced with the UE chassis. Guess I shall need to cast some more sideframes for the trucks. I have managed to get some more lead to weight them

The Roundhouse Box cab mechanism is bad due to the accumulation of the slack in the gears, added to the poor bearings, and some noisy motors that had eccentric commutators, I believe Japanese in source. It is possible to replace the motor, but the gear bearing need brass replacements etc. I think NWSL did some correction kits at one time. The only worst mechanism was again Roundhouse, the proper Shay, which has so many problems you don't know where to start to put them right.

I am just starting the Boxcab on the Ernie chassis, and I think the sideframes will be left as is, they are nylon, and modifying them is difficult. I found cutting the moulding off at the end of the sideframe stops fouling on tight curves.

The biggest problem is the drawbar and mounting Knuckle Couplings, they may have to be shorty Kadee as the space is tight. The body is fitted with two plastic blocks that duplicate the UE body mounts to allow simple fitting with just two screws, with added blocks inside the cab end to engage the chassis ends to prevent vibration, which would increase noise.

With the tyres the pulling power seems quite good all round, certainly 6/10 boxcars work easily.

Stephen.

Guess I shall need to cast some more sideframes for the trucks. I have managed to get some more lead to weight them

Hi, Jack. You alrady own some lead balancing the wheels/tyres on your car, insist on retaining them when you next buy tyre(s). Ask nicely and the dealer might even give you more!

I obtained more than enough for my purposes by approaching a builder doing some roofing work, and scrounged a few inches of 6" wide lead offcuts. Need a thick skin to bear the pitying looks when explaining the purpose of the lead, and the muttered "Geek" as you leave!!

• 2 weeks later...

A very nice gent called Steve Grantham answered my "want" ad for 40' cars, and asked for some photos of them on the layout. I have done a bit of work on hard-standings. I had some vinyl wood-plank flooring and thought I'd see if that would work. I sprayed it in a selection of colours and cut it to fit alonside the track. I now need to wait till the Perth show to get some ballast and then I can finally fit the hard-standing areas The material comes with a paper backing coverying a gooey surface (left on temporarily) and you can see this where it is untrimmed in some of the photos. The trucks are place holders and obviously far too modern - hopefully to be replaced in the future with some from Sylvan Models, more appropriate to the period modelled. Anyway enjoy the photos - the Boxcab has been taken away for servicing, and the management has hired in a 44 tonner replacement for the week

post-6688-127495443369.jpg

post-6688-127495445965.jpg

Thanks for the comment Andrew

Following on from a thread in Questions/Help about how to hide the "mousehole" I'm less cocerned with the "mousehole" itself than with the ends of the locolifts behind it. I was suddenly struck with the idea of using some teflon coated sheet that my wife had been using, and making strip curtains. The sheet is cut leaving the strips attached at the top and fixed behind the hole, the "fingers" having enough flex to be pushed out od the way by the wagons and then spring back. It seems to work quite well . Many thanks to alastairq who will recognise these wagons

post-6688-127573057024.jpg

post-6688-127573059444.jpg

post-6688-127573060733.jpg

post-6688-127573063306.jpg

Archived