Black TTA

Dear all...

Some help requested here if you'd be so kind.

I've a couple of Bachmann OO TTAs in black that I've removed the Shell and BP markings from with the intent to provide something more akin to what would be found along the ECML depots in late 1970s. For weathering, my insirpation comes, in part, from http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/sukoclassbtta2/hd89115b#hd89115b which is always a great source of material to work from.

However, the backmann unit is numbered 3452 and from photos I think I need something with 5 digits (that are also smaller in size). Photos in the Finsbury Park book suggest 65746 and 67149 and suitable to work with. I possibly also need the warning panel.

The upper end number also seems to be suspended from the steps and not on the tank as provided by Bachmann.

So..., can anyone suggest where I can acquire some suitable transfers (waterslide my preference) that might work here.

Otherwise, it's just a case of fitting three link couplings and vac pipe, and weather ("just" he says - as if :rolleyes: ). These are for my photo plank that's now nicely weathered (more than before) for my Deltics - for display at the BHMRC show next month. It'd be nice to include a TTA to give that "sidings" feel a bit more... but we'll see ;) . Afterwards, I'll probably re-wheel these to P4 for my ultimate depot plan for that other Deltic project I've got going... and I really must get back to.

So... any help will, as always, be appreciated...

Thanks... Jon

I reckon that the Fox Transfers sheet below should do the job:

http://www.fox-transfers.co.uk/image_display.cgi?image=11Ryhraptaj9E.jpg

Now it just so happens that I only needed the red transfers for my Class A BP tanks so I haven't used any of the white ones yet. Drop me a p.m. with your address and I'll post the remainder of the sheet to you.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear all, a brief update on my earlier requests... and thanks to flood for the transfers. The TTAs (or are they now TTBs?) are now done... and whilst not stunning, they blend in, which was my aim. The weathering here was a slightly different aim as I needed to achieve a more uiniform finish than that of my Deltics... weathering black on black was very much a trial and error task. Once all necesary markings were removed, and new markings applied... along with the new plate on the platform... home made three link couplings (0.6mm brass wire - next time I'll try 0.4mm) - attached to existing Bachmann hook... I started some weathering. Transfers that had been set on a bed of Kleer - were subject to some mild rubbing down (2000 grade paper and fiberglass pen)... and then tank and chasis seperately treated. Sprayed with a dirty black mix (combination of black and track dirt - my Humbrol paints had gone hard so used my Railmatch ones)... and then mostly lifted off using a white spirit dampened cotton bud in vertical streaks. Once dried, over sprayed with the same mix very lightly - min pressure... and same to chassis. Markings were cleaned on each application to simulate a "try to keep clean" task. Once done - a browner mix was used mainly at the ends - more rail dirt than black but only lightly applied. This was also applied to chassis in places - especially around the axles.

Tamiya powders were used to add rust and chipped paint and finally a over spray of matt varnish. Tensichrome oil stains were streaked from the top fillers and platform... and finished with some Kleer to silulate some wetting of the generaly grime.

My inspiration was the Paul Bartlett photos and I'm happy with the end result... sat coupled togther behind the Deltics, over the oil stained ballasted track - they serve their purpose.... for now.

Thanks for you help - one and all.

Inspecting the coupling

post-8351-0-67865000-1304275801_thumb.jpg

The two tanks in profile

post-8351-0-32825900-1304275825_thumb.jpg

At home on Napier Lane sidings

post-8351-0-85628800-1304275844_thumb.jpg

And with the normal residents

post-8351-0-76977700-1304275813_thumb.jpg

Excellent work! Thank you for the step by step weathering method you used. If I was using acrylics would I use a cotton bud soaked in water to remove paint between coats?

EDIT: What is Tensichrome? I did a google search but no applicaple results

Cheers

Guy

Guy, thanks... I must try not to write these things from memory, especially when it's been a long day (sorry) :huh:- the paint isTensochrom - Lifecolour... ideal weathering acrylics that are very watery and only leave a little colour once dry. Got mine from a model shop in Brighton... but they are available on-line. George Dent uses them in his weathering expert DVD- this is what brought them to my attention originally.

If using acrylics - not sure that water would do it - depends on how quickly the paint dried. This is why I use enamel - much more flexible when it comes to this approach - but I'm no expert.

Grifgriff... yes no changes to the handrails - I did wonder about the PHD conversion and wopuld probably do so if I wanted the best available - but for a quick appearance alteration I thought that leaving them would be sufficient... I think they look ok, but like everythign else, the closer you look the more you realise that there's more that could be done; for now, I've decided not to look any further ;).

Thanks... Jon

Talking about the closer you look, IMHO I'd say the 0.6mm wire couplings are spot-on, I've always reckoned that most wire 3-link and instanters are anorexic, if anything the Bachmann coupling hooks don't have a deep enough cut-out for the links.

Guest Max Stafford

These look great Jon! Your Deltics are rather nice too and the appearance of all your models including the layout itself is extremely plausible. I can readily imagine myself there back in 1978 as a trespassing yoof about to get his collar felt by the foreman or the local railway badger! :D

Dave.

Thanks chaps... that means a lot. Liddy, the Bachmann hooks needed thinning a lot and the cut outs needed cutting out to take the hooks - yes they were far to shallow... still a bit tight and glued in place - but "look" ok - and ok for a display but wouldn't want to run a train of them on a full circuit - would probably want to use some proper sprung hooks.

Archived