Sheffield Supertram

chrism247

...as a newcomer to tramway modelling - after years of building static buses , i now want to do a working layout of local trams , and wondered if / why there isnt a model of the Sheffield Supertram which has been around now for some 17 years , while others like the Manchester Metro has been around for years - even the newer one is available .! Not a gripe , but just curious and desparate to get hold of a Sheffield one ! If i have to go down the scratchbuild route , could anyone advise what bogie/ motor set up could be used?

Thanks ,

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the world of Tramway modelling. Manchesters new trams are a slightly modified "off the shelf" design and as such a variation of them is already in use in other european cities. Therefore the manufacturers of that generic type of tram would have not found it too difficult to make the necessary alterations to the models they already make (although I may be wrong so someone please feel free to correct me).

In terms of the Sheffield system there are only 25 trams in the entire fleet which is a pretty small number for a model company to consider manufacturing a model of the said trams.

If you want to scratch build trams then it depends on what scale you wish to make your trams in, there are a number of chassis for N Gauge that could be modified for this. There are a number of HO gauge trams that could be modified for this purpose, a quick scan for HO gauge trams on ebay will show a variety of vehicles that could be donors for chassis.

In N Gauge there are a number of Japanese designs that could be modified as well as some very expensive models made by Hoedll in Europe of some of their trams that could also be modified.

I am sorry I cannot be more help when it comes to scratchbuilding the body of the tram.

Wikipedia has a good article on the trams http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siemens-Duewag_Supertram

I hope you keep us all informed of your progress if you do decide to make a model of the tram system as I would be very interested in seeing how it progresses.

The new Manchester trams are very closely based on those in use on the high-floor routes in Cologne. There is a low-floor version of the same design on other routes in Cologne (both from Bombardier) which was the basis for the Croydon design even down to having the cab door on the right, although the Croydon version had the short middle portion stretched to meet the specification. I know little about model trams but I believe the model of Croydon that someone produced is simply a re-liveried Cologne version with the shorter centre section.

...thanks guys , thinking of 4mm 00 scale , due to its overall size . Scratchbuilding the body should be ok , but not clued up on the availability of any suitable trucks ?

Would it need 1 motor at one end of the 3car design , or a motor at each end ect !?

Any help gratefully accepted !!!!

Not an active modeller these days, but in the past have thought about ways of producing the Sheffield vehicles.

The best information source on the prototype is the note 'vehicleinfo' which is linked on the Wikipedia page, and includes a diagram and technical details.

The Sheffield vehicle in 4mm scales at 456mm long, which gives potential for an impressive model. The challenge is the characteristic shape of the ends, where some form of moulding might be an advantage.

Generally, Halling mechanisms have an excellent reputation and can be purchased as spares.

The vehicle has four bogies of 1800mm wheelbase, scaling to 23.62mm, two of these being under the centre section. Wheels scale to a diameter range of 7.74mm to 8.79mm.

Two possible approaches could be used, and there may be others. (i) drive the centre section or (ii) drive the outer bogies. In both cases, the remaining axles run free.

(i) The centre section has a high floor level throughout, which helps in hiding a mechanism. A quick look suggests that there is a nearly-suitable bogie mechanism:

http://www.halling.at/modelleisenbahnen/pdf/c1.antriebseinheit.pdf

Bogie wheelbase is a bit short, and the bogie centres are 69mm compared to the scaled prototype dimension of 75mm.

(ii) A possible Halling product, close-matching the outer bogies:

http://www.halling.at/railwaymodel/pdf/wien.e_antrieb.einbaumasse.pdf

Again, bogie wheelbase is short [would be spot-on for an H0 version!] and some carving-up of the chassis would be required. In the prototype there is a short section of raised floor, directly above the outer bogies, but the motor drive would probably be placed in the vehicle's low-floor section.

Many thanks for the info EL , as you said the ends may need moulding , at least the screens anyway ! Thanks for the measurements , could it be run on easystreet rails do you know ?

My main problem is the info for the trucks as i have not motorised anything before , and want to get it right if poss - even lights and sound could also be an option hopefully ?

Also , i want it to eventually run , and stop, at a believable scale speed ! - not like some which look as though they are doing 70mph and then suddenly stop ! Then start again with a 0 to 60 time of 1 second !!!

Anymore help and advice welcome .

Thanks.

Hi Chris,

Halling drive units all the way, there may be several ways of doing it with their drive system, have a look on their website all the drive units have downloadable diagrams. Halling wheels would run on their flanges on easy street track or you could fit p87 wheels and make your track closer to scale (EM or P4) I'd imagine you'd have to fit longer axles and adapt pickups if that was the case though.

I suppose it would be possible to get the Sheffield Cars done as a 3d CAD thing (I got your email but have been away :D ), but to be honest the modern stuff doesn't really interest me that much, if you fancied having a go I'll see if it could be arranged to get the CAD done....... Give me a PM if you're interested?

Cheers,

Mark.

There was a card kit (close to 4mm scale) for the Sheffield cars produced as a promotional item when the system opened. They occasionally come up on a certain well known auction website but seem to go for silly money...

• 2 years later...

Archived