Blacksmith shop

M Graff

I have been busy building a little Blacksmith shop of what I had in the scrap box :D

I "needed" a blacksmith by the tracks, and also I had a place that was perfect for a small(ish) building.

I was sorting through the drawers and found an old Athearn-boxcar shell.

I searched a bit online and found some pictures showing that it was quite common to use the decommissioned cars for sheds etcc.

I also found an old playing Birthday card of the simplest model, I cut the speaker off and put a red LED instead. When it "plays" it makes flickering lights on the diode instead!

I cut a base out of pink foam and carved out some stones, put new end walls of "Clapboard Siding" on the wagon and made ​​an overhang to have the fireplace in, I supported it with columns of wood.

I put in two windows from the scrap box as well.

I made ​​the fireplace out of pink foam and covered it with alutape.

A little red cellophane and coal on it to look like glow.

post-6867-0-09934800-1306082772_thumb.jpg

The roof is covered with Japanese tissue paper and the chimney is a brass pipe.

I painted the wall planks for themselves, and then the steel framework.

post-6867-0-90169900-1306082873_thumb.jpg

It turned out pretty good actually :pleasantry:

post-6867-0-07346100-1306082898_thumb.jpg

I would call that bloody good!

A couple of questions....

1, Acrylic paint with water as medium?

2, I'm interested in how you got such a nice carving out of pink insulation. Any pointers you can pass on?

Thanks for taking the time to share.

Best, Pete.

I would call that bloody good!

A couple of questions....

1, Acrylic paint with water as medium?

2, I'm interested in how you got such a nice carving out of pink insulation. Any pointers you can pass on?

Thanks for taking the time to share.

Best, Pete.

Thanks! :)

1- Yes, Vallejo and Winsor & Newton paints with a bit of acrylic-retarder and water.

2- I just use a pencil that is suitably rounded in the tip, as it is graphite it doesn´t tear the foam.

I made a house in the same way:

2rrmj50.jpg

That's excellent Michael. And to think of all those naff birthday cards I've chucked!

Is the little lever on the side to apply (or release) pressure on the card's mechanism?

That's excellent Michael. And to think of all those naff birthday cards I've chucked!

Is the little lever on the side to apply (or release) pressure on the card's mechanism?

Thanks! This proves that a bit of hoarding tendencies is a good thing when you´re a modeller :D.

Yes, the lever is the actuator (for now...) and it will be cunningly hidden when I make the small loading platform on the side ;).

I'm sure you make it sound more simple than it really is! The rendering is terrific.

Best, Pete.

It´s more a case of artistic illusion.... ;)

Archived