BR Mk3/3A/3B COACHES

Galtee More

I'm looking at upgrading and converting some old Lima Mk3 HST trailers into Mk3A hauled-stock. I will, of course, be using Brian Hanson's Lazerglaze !

With the help of fellow club members, I think I now know the differences between the variants, but I could really do with some further details and pictures of Mk3A stock, particularly of the roofs at the ends, showing the water tanks/fillers . Does anyone have any pictures that they could post or can anyone point me in the right direction ?

Any help will be very much appreciated

Ian

For Mk3A stock the large square plenum chambers will need to be removed from each end of the roofs and three Roevac vents placed instead. In fact it is easier to use Jouef stock instead.

For photos I would start at Dennis Taylor's 80s Rail site, the Mark 3 stock page is here:

http://80srail.zenfolio.com/p520092474

Those photos should help you on your way.

For Mk3A stock the large square plenum chambers will need to be removed from each end of the roofs and three Roevac vents placed instead. In fact it is easier to use Jouef stock instead.

Bear in mind that only the TSO and FO (and subsequent CO conversions) had the three Roevac type vents. The Mk3a RUB. SLE and SLEP had the larger central square vent as used on HST stock. In this respect the Jouef Mk3a RUB roof is incorrect.

Hi Natalie,

Thanks very much for that. It's a very point. It would be so easy to go blindly carving off the square plenum covers on all Mk3A stock ! So thanks for that, it'll save some work.

I've just seen that Southern Pride do the Roevac vents. So that could save a job. If anyone else can give a pointer, a picture of the roof ends of Mk3A TSOs & FOs would be extremely useful.

Ian

• 2 years later...

Just found this topic while searching for Mk3 roof details. Are Lima and Jouef carriages the same length? I have repainted a Lima Mk3 as a CO and was wondering if a Jouef roof would fit on it? I've also ordered Shawplan Lazerglaze and Hurst ends, so hopefully it will be pretty good when it's finished. I did wonder about Hornby bogies, with the added cable/electrical detail, or possibly the whole underframe, but that might be a bit excessive!

Cheers,

Rick

Comparing the two bodies the Jouef coaches appear to be about 2mm longer.

To be really pedantic, the Jouef coach also has the modules between the bogies in the correct order for a loco hauled coach. They are slightly different to the HST stock (and Lima model). I don't know about the Hornby Mk3 stock as I don't own any.

Hi,

The Southern Pride roe-vac vents are too narrow. You can overcome this by gluing them together or buy these scale ones http://www.shapeways.com/model/1005095/roevac-roof-vents-4mm-v1-150-pieces.html?li=shop-results&materialId=61which which I measured up from the real thing (scary session on the roof). The other difference are the under frame panels but you'll have to look at the various pics to see where the panels are different between the different types. HTH

Cheers

Tom

Thanks for the replies, I think Jouef is the way to go for the rest of my push pull train (4 more Mk3s and a DBSO when they arrive). As for the one I want to modify, perhaps I'll try to get a cheap Jouef one and do some surgery. I'm sure I could cut the 2mm out of the middle of the roof and fix it back together. I only repainted the Hornby one because it was spare and I was having a session with the airbrush. I wish hadn't bothered now!

Rick

Archived