Auto Reverse module and turning triangle

• RMweb Premium

The layout that I'm building, Rodents' Vale, includes a triangle that provides access in both directions form the fiddle yard to the main line. As the layout is DCC controlled, I plan to use an auto reverse module to control the polarity of one side of the triangle.

The module that I've bought is an Onguard OG-AR from DCC Specialties and looks like this:

post-7013-0-40275000-1307881589_thumb.jpg

However, as all the diagrams for these sorts of things seem to show reversing loops rather than triangles, I wonder if somebody could just confirm that I'll be using it properly before I connect it up? Here's a rough diagram of how I think it should be used:

post-7013-0-50495700-1307882002_thumb.jpg

The blue rails would be isolated at each end. Does this look right?

Thanks in advance :)

This will only work reliably if your blue section is at least as long as the longest train. Otherwise locomotives, lighted coaches or even steel wheels could bridge the reversing section to the tracks either end, and if this happens at both ends at the same time there will be a short circuit.

I prefer this arrangment as it avoids the possibility of wheels shorting both ends of the track being reveresed. In your case, all of your fiddle yard would be powered by the reversing loop module.

post-10861-0-59229500-1307885394_thumb.jpg

I have two such Auto Reversers in use

One is installed, as above, with a single section that is the length of the longest train

The other is installed to include a crossover, as I found this was necessary

You could therefore extend the outer arms of the two diverging (lower) routes and then isolate at the required length

This would however mean using two Auto Reversers back to back, but it solves the issue

• RMweb Premium

Hmm, ok. Thanks chaps - it's a good job I checked!

I like Muns idea. The fiddle yard is a traverser where only one road is powered at any one time, so that will work ok.

I've now sketched the three possible states that the triangle can be in, as follows:

post-7013-0-83904600-1307892650_thumb.jpg

I note that the frog and switch rails of P2 don't actually change polarity, which is novel.

Keith, I can see how I could do it with relays, but I've got the AR module and it's easy to wire up :)

Archived