Corralls Coal - depot in St.Mary's, Southampton.

Tim Hale

Coralls coal depot on Dible's Wharf, St.Mary's, Southampton.

I have managed to locate a few photos of this location but not in any publication that I can find. Although this is very useful Corralls Fuel

Any more photos or antidotes, info would be welcome. What is the diesel shunter featured in the enclosed link?

And I found this Dibels Wharf but the link to the Wimborne society, is by far the best.

Tim

• Like 1

I have managed to locate a few photos of this location but not in any publication that I can find. Although this is very useful Corralls Fuel

Any more photos or antidotes, info would be welcome. What is the diesel shunter featured in the enclosed link?

And I found this Dibels Wharf but the link to the Wimborne society, is by far the best.

Tim

There was a thread on here a while back which included some shots of the inside of the yard; these included the end-tippler which was used to unload 'flat-bottomed' minerals. The yard was unusual for a Coal Concentration Depot in that it dealt with both hopper wagons and conventional minerals. I fear the photos may have been lost with the demise of Fotopic, alas.

Have you seen 'Southamptons Quayside Steam' and 'A Further Look At Southamptons Quayside Railways', both by Dave Marden?

I'm not sure how usefull they'd be to you but both are certainly worth a look.

Some nice links there by the way.

• RMweb Premium

There's a a section on Dible's Wharf in "Southampton's Quayside Steam" by Dave Marden, but no info on the diesels, obviously. There's a shot in "More Last Days of Steam in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight" by D Fereday Glenn, plus the colour cover picture, both of 30096 emerging from the Gasworks curve onto Brittania Road. There's a short piece in Bert Moody's "Southampton's Railways". I think the line featured in "Bylines" but I may be wrong. If you're interested I can get you a track plan of the line and yard.

Pete

The earlier book by Dave Marden is on order and yes, I would really appreciate a plan and any other bit of info. BTW Google Earth provides an excellent view of the spur that circumnavigated (I was going write skirted) the gasholders next to the Pompey road.

Thanks to all, I fear that a diorama is in the planning stage, something that will fit in a Beetle............but still 4mm.

Tim

• RMweb Premium
  • 4 months later...

The imminent completion of both the B4 and Ruston has notched up the need for me to start cutting wood- a mirror image of a well-known quayside layout in just 4'x2' seems to fulfil the need for some operating potential, a decent trackplan and the ability to fit in a Beetle.

Thanks for the advice, I have Dave's books and a number of photos.

Tim

Tim

The diesel shunter in the link is an 0-4-0DM built by Baguley 3568/1961.

It was purchased by Corrall's (aka P.D.Fuels) in February 1968 from the brewers Bass, Mitchell & Butler, Burton on Trent.

Another diesel, a Hunslet 0-4-0DM arrived from the MoD/Royal Navy arrived in early 1971, followed by a Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0DM from the Manchester Ship Canal in December 1975.

The latter loco (in PD Fuels house colours) is shown in action, during 1986 here:-

http://www.freewebs.com/brdiesels/hampshire.htm

There were other interesting systems in the area, on the west bank of the river including,

eg

Pollock, Brown & Co. Ltd - scrapyard.

Chapel Tramway

Southampton Gas Workd

I have sent you some info, and maps via a PM.

Brian R

Edited by br2975

• 8 years later...