Laser cut card and paper coach

For my Aylesbury project I needed to model the grounded Metropolitan coach body behind the engine shed, I drew up the coach and had it laser cut in paper/thin card by Paul Huxley. (Paul is now able to offer other RM web members a laser cutting service too)

Each side is made up from four layers of thin card two main sides with an offset of .2mm round the windows to produce a window frame. There is another layer to produce the droplights and the final layer to form the beading which is amazingly delicate.

I plan to Shellac the sides first then laminate the sides together; I have ends that are built up the same way. A few art shop that I went to buy Shellac gave me a weird look and said it was not sold anymore so have obtained some French polish that contains Shellac which I hope will have the same effect.

As I progress I will post more photos

David

metcoach007.jpg

metcoach004.jpg

The real thing

aylesbury121.jpg

For my Aylesbury project I needed to model the grounded Metropolitan coach body behind the engine shed, I drew up the coach and had it laser cut in paper/thin card by Paul Huxley. (Paul is now able to offer other RM web members a laser cutting service too)

Each side is made up from four layers of thin card two main sides with an offset of .2mm round the windows to produce a window frame. There is another layer to produce the droplights and the final layer to form the beading which is amazingly delicate.

I plan to Shellac the sides first then laminate the sides together; I have ends that are built up the same way. A few art shop that I went to buy Shellac gave me a weird look and said it was not sold anymore so have obtained some French polish that contains Shellac which I hope will have the same effect.

As I progress I will post more photos

David

metcoach007.jpg

metcoach004.jpg

The real thing

aylesbury121.jpg

Thank god you have also tried to source a supply of Shellac. My attempts generated a look from shop staff implying my obvious insanity! Still haven't found any.

BTW the coach looks really good.

You can still buy shellac - it is sold as bags of dry flakes. They have to be dissolved in methylated spirits to produce the polish. I'm pretty sure I saw some last week in my local hardware shop (Barnitts in York).

Axminster tools also appear to sell it - link here (usual disclaimer).

Andy

PS. The coach body looks superb!

Paul is spot-on, but one caveat, be sure to get the sort that is based on shellac and methylated spirits, there is a cellulose based one that does not work the same way, and the fumes from which soften adhesives.

You'll need some meths to wash out your brushes, too.

This bottle I bought at a Dulux Decorator centre on my last trip to UK.

It dries very quickly and was a favourite of the late great Mr Ahern, he would deffo have approved of your lovely coach work too.

post-106-0-63384200-1315078486.jpg

Hope this helps,

Doug

Card modeller, Scalescenes addict....

For thoise interest6ed in obtaining shellac, you can get the crystals on ebay and just pour them into a 500ml bottle of meths and leave.

Get the 'blonde' variety of shellac so that you can still see any marking on the card.

Shellac the card on both sides first and allow to dry.

Shellac the face 1 or 2 more times. After hardening for a couple of days, cut out the windows etc. Doing this gives a much cleaner edge to the cuts.

Then polish the outer faces with 1200 grade wet & dry. Prime and paint.

Best of luck.

Dave

That's come out quite well David, though I'd see what it looks like with the roof on before making a decision, I can empathise with the desire to at least think about starting again. The real body seems to have survived pretty well, judging by the picture and the card laminate captures the depth nicely so the technique clearly works and that is reassuring.

Adam

I hope to laminate a card roof a tin of vanish seems the right diameter to form it round, then see how things look.

The gulf red I used for the doors does seem to be rather on the maroon shade rather than the more oxide colour in the photo. also the pheonix LMR building cream seemed too dark so I added white.

I do wonder how these bodies got to site, were they taken on a flat wagon or detached from there underframe on site.

David

Archived