One I made earlier....

AngusDe

On my last visit to my brother in Canada (Chilliwack, near Vancouver, BC) I built a layout for my nephew one weekend.

Before they emigrated he had a small trainset that had grown from a Hornby Virgin HST set, that made occasional outings onto the lid/top of the 5'x3' pool/games table he had. In my brother's house there was a alcove in the basement that was 9'6" wide and my mind turned to chopping a 8'x4' board into a 9'6"x 5'6" layout that would slide neatly into the alcove...

My nephew was now also hankering after something more N American and with myself possessing several HO locos and freight cars which had been in boxes for years and a motley collection of "spare" setrack and streamline points as well, I brought them with me.

So I cobbled together this design on the back of a envelope in the hope it would offer interesting operation, and the possibility of being operated either in a N American or UK manner.

post-392-0-36064700-1315402115_thumb.jpg

The track is a funny mix of Hornby, Peco Set track, Peco streamline and Atlas set track and flexi, so the plan is a approximation, but you get the idea, central reversing/terminal road in the station and small loco yard, a couple of carriage sidings and a goods branch/yard.

Wiring was a controller for the inner and one for the outer loops with a DPDT/centre off switch controlling the centre loop in the station.

post-392-0-52777800-1315402209_thumb.jpg

The baseboard build took one evening, the track laying 2, and it ran well. For some reason my nephew had a ridiculous number of radius2 curves so most are R2. Against my better judgement my nephew insisted on a elevated section and a bridge, but with care on the throttle it works, just.

I never had time to offer much in the way of scenic treatments but gave my nephew some pointers before I left. Like me, he seemed to be happy enough once the trains started running, lol!

When the builders were back doing some snagging work one of them asked my brother to name his price for the layout, lol! But on top of the stuff my nephew had and the old stuff I gave him, the timber was about a $100 (the DIY store cut it all to my spec so things were pretty easy going together) and the extra bits and bobs and some flexi track from the local model shop which was another $100 the whole thing was pretty cheap and great fun with my nephew and brother!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it and some get some inspiration from it.

Angus

Archived