best decoder for coreless motor?

Fen End Pit

• RMweb Gold

I've just rebuilt a J15 (ex GER 0-6-0) which had a Portescap 1219 coreless motor. What is the current thinking on suitable decoder? I understand that coreless motors don't respond well to Back EMF.

The rest of my 4mm stock has TCS decoders and I used Lenz Gold on the 16mm locos. Space is fairly tight, the smokebox is probably the best place to put a decoder which would limit me to something about 20mm X 12mm

thanks

David Barham

Zimo or CT (Tran), the Zimo MX620 is slightly larger than a Lenz Mini decoder, the CT DCX75 is the smallest you can get (don't sneeze, you'll loose it!). I doubt the motor can draw many 100mA before stall, so either will do fine.

Generally the Zimo works better out of the box than CT, though recent CT's have needed less CV tweaking than a 18 months ago. Both have documentation and settings specifically for coreless motors, including the Faulhaber or Maxon motors. Zimo's documentation is excellent, CT's is poor (the German better than English, but still poor). Both decoder makers fully supported in JMRI/DecoderPro (so update your copy if its ancient).

The "BEMF" problem on coreless motors gets a bit out of hand due to chinese whispers. What coreless dislike is crude low frequency methods found on some early transistorised controllers (many of those designs are still on sale in the analogue world).

Hi, I have used TCS T1's on my coreless motors and they seem to be OK with the BMF on, the motors are large O gauge ones so may be different to OO ones. I also have a loco that is about 18 years old and has a Lenz decoder that was discontinued in 1991 but had run on analogue until two years ago when I went DCC, I found that I could read the decoder but to change the address took some time, but I got there, the loco chip has always reacted to BMF from a gaugemaster controller with no harm and still works very well on my prodigy DCC system.

hope this help make the decission

mike g

Archived