Layout Plans with S-Curves and Prototypes

trisonic

I've been fiddling around looking at drawing plans for a model which would include the interchange between the NS and the Black Rock and Western (but the commercial company) at Three Bridges.

I'm concerned over S-Curves, they have always been a no - no to me and there is a socking great one actually on the interchange itself used by NS to get to the BR & W.

See here:

Note that after the S on the BR & W there are two sidings to the right (one little used) a siding and a passing loop to the left off the BR & W "mainline".

Comments please!

Sorry despite Tony S' kind help I cannot provide a direct link to the Google map/photo. However if you get a chance you can see what I'm talking about by inputting:

"Three Bridges, NJ" - the S - curve is just to the right of the highlighted "A" below the top railroad line which is the NS.

Btw if you put the little google guy on the Main Street - BR & W crossing and swivel towards the passing loop side you'll be looking down the barrel of a NS loco......

Thanks, Pete.

Dear Pete,

Are you talking about

http://g.co/maps/5zkqd

???

(Hint,

- locate to the view in Google Maps you want to capture

- click on the "link" button with the chainlink icon at top Right of the page

- a small pop-up will appear with "paste link" and "paste HTML" options

- tick the "Short URL" tickbox

- the text in the "paste link" field should shorten up, and look similar to the one I posted above

- select the entire link

- Right-click --> Copy

- then Paste into whatever app you are trying to put the link into...)

Based on the cars spotted nearby, the curve radii appears comparatively large,

(although not "mainline radii" by any stretch... ;-) ).

and as per many MRR trackplanner recomendations,

there appears to be at least 1 (more like 3-5) carlength of straight track between the opposing curves,

(IE in the middle of the "S")

As "S-curves" go, this one's a tame animal... :-)

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Thanks, Prof. I don't get the option on my Mac of the "Short URL"......................I'll have another look at it though........

So far the consensus is: Not bad enough. I suppose what helps is that it is not perpendicular to either "mainline".

Edit: Found "Short URL" tickbox - I was looking for it on the second pop up box!

So: http://g.co/maps/5hqsd

I know the specs for the BR & W call for a minimum turnout # 8 which then makes the NS connection probably a #10. Just thinking aloud.

Best, Pete.

Try this one for size, Pete: http://g.co/maps/7zsck The NS line from New Bern NC comes in along side Royall Ave (middle right side of image), swing 90 degrees to the south-southwest, then makes another 90 degree swing to the west-northwest, then another 90 degree swing to the southwest :) . And does this with 60-100 car trains twice daily in both directions, plus sulfur train extras of 65 cars or so, all behind six axle power. I've seen it once or twice...the flange squeals are, um, loud!

I still don't see what's the big deal with the "crossover" at 3 Bridges.

Go to any yard over 25 years old in the US and pick any two yard tracks about 10 tracks apart and there will be an even worse "S curve". They collectively push 10's of thousands of cars throught those switches a day. I doubt anybody's going to be shoving a 135 platforms of empty spine cars through the connection at 3 Bridges anyway. Its going to be small cuts of 10-20 cars. That's not even a challenge. Tie condition is probably more of a risk than geometry.

Let me explain further for dave1905 (and anyone else).

My Father, when I was a little kid, had an extensive OO layout - Britsh outline, LNER. He was the one who drummed it into me about the avoidance of tight S-Curves. Of course the fundamental difference between US and UK - buffers makes the difference. With buffer-lock being regarded as being next to the Devil in its avoidance. Some things you get from your Dad are difficult to throw off.

Thanks for the confidence to proceed, albeit with trepidation against thunderbolts......that video, Jack, makes me feel queasy, sorry!

Best, Pete.

Archived