Post War Cars for the 4mm Modeller

BernardTPM

• 3 weeks later...

Hi to Bernardtpm.

Thanks for this, i have found this very usefull.

You would think that Oxford or Classix's would put a date on the back of the box. How many times have you been in a model shop looking at these models and wondered what time scale would that be appropriate for

Thanks!

I started originally as a round-up of the (then few) reasonable accurate 4mm scale cars available; I thought the production dates would both help identify what the model was of and give a rough idea of the period they were suitable for. If anything, the dates are perhaps the most useful part of it now!

Thanks!

I started originally as a round-up of the (then few) reasonable accurate 4mm scale cars available; I thought the production dates would both help identify what the model was of and give a rough idea of the period they were suitable for. If anything, the dates are perhaps the most useful part of it now!

Hi Bernard,

It's also very useful for 2mm models, especially as Oxford Diecast are tending to release the same vehicles in their N Scale range as in 4mm.

Douglas

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the list its very useful. One quick question, I haven't got my mits on any so haven't a clue but is the Matchbox Oxbridge suitable or is it one of theirs that is more towards the 1/64 scale end than the 1/76 end?

It's actually 1/70 (fit the box) scale. However if you want a 1/76 Oxbridge try the Minix one.

I don't think the MINIX Cambridge is that much too small. Having just run a mic over one the figures are (with true 4mm scale in brackets):

Length 57.7mm (58.2), Width 21.15 (21.16666), Height 19 (19.6) and Wheelbase 33.3 (33.4).Pretty close.

Talking of Minix, in the list, you say that:

To help, we have listed all the reasonably accurate 4mm scale post-war cars available, or those that you are likely to come across. The one exception to this is the 1960s Triang MINIX range where we have listed all the cars produced

Are the Minix cars an exception in terms of scale/accuracy, or simply because of availability- in other words, how close to scale are they?

Looking at the Minix range, apart from a couple of slightly more left-field choices in the Simca and the American Rambler (and I even remember a neighbour having a 60's Rambler when I was a kid in the early 70's, albeit a station wagon) and the inevitable sportscar (Sunbeam Alpine) they really did hit the mark with a pretty good cross-section of average early/mid 60's British family cars- it's always surprised me that none of the current manufacturers haven't simply replicated the list of cars Minix covered.

• RMweb Premium

They are pretty good models for the period. Some are better than others. A first priority would be to change the wheels and some of the early ones did not have any interior. One of the easier to obtain models is the Morris 1100, it can be much improved by fitting the wheels and interior from a Cararama mini.

Actually, with a coat of paint the Minix vehicles come up alright. Earlier model releases had no interior fittings but Bernard TPM sells seats (and wheels, for that matter) if you really want to go the whole hog.

Earlier releases had 'chromed' wheels which actually paint up nicely but later versions fo the same models have plain black plastic discs for wheels which are pretty horrible! All of the models benefit from having longer axles fitted.

I have also painted matt black around the insides of the window openings and wheel arches.

Used (non-mint) unboxed Austin A60s seem to be fairly commonplace at our local swap meets (I'm in Australia), as are Morris 1100s, Ford Anglias, Vauxhall Vivas and Triumph 2000s. Ford Thames vans are also not too hard to come by. Hillman Minxes, Ford Corsairs and Vauxhall Victor 101s are rather harder to find while Austin 1800s and Vauxhall Cresta are as scarce as hen's teeth.

Hattons sold hundreds of the Sunbeam Alpines in packs for quite a while.

Most of them are pretty close to scale, generally fractions of millimetres (i.e a scale inch or two). There were only ever two sets of wheels, the larger ones being used on the Thames van and the Rambler, the rest sharing size and track - not too bad on say the Imp or Anglia, but quite ridiculous on the Austin 1800! The first 8 (of 17) models had no interiors, the rest did. The single deck bus is a beautifully detailed odel, but sadly to about 1/135 scale. It does go well with the 1960s Matchbox Daimler Fleetline though!

With new wheels, authentic paint and sundry detailing they can be made into very nice models. Also, being plastic, it is easier to make them into other variations, unlike today's diecasts.

With new wheels, authentic paint and sundry detailing they can be made into very nice models. Also, being plastic, it is easier to make them into other variations, unlike today's diecasts.

The other thing about plastic mouldings is that the models are much crisper than a diecast after it's second paint dip!!

Archived