Where to go in Japan for 'traction action'

tractionman

• RMweb Gold

hi folks,

I am due to go to Japan in early December and have around 5 days (Mon-Fri) spare to travel around.

I have just ordered a 7-day JR rail-pass for me to get about and was hoping someone might be able to advise me on good places to visit to see particularly loco action on JR metals. Any "hot spots" I should seek out?

I'll be starting my travels in Nagoya and ending in Kyoto, but with the pass I can pretty much get anywhere, if it's worth a journey!

Any advice most welcome,

cheers,

Keith

Hi,

There are only a handful of loco hauled trains left in Japan, the Cassiopea from Tokyo to Sapporo and the Twilight from Osaka. Most of the blue trains, the overnight sleepers, have gone.

Freight traffic can be found on the main lines and you are starting at one of the busy places for freight, Nagoya.

For more specific information try the Japanese Modelling and Japanese Rail Enthusiasts Forum as there are ex pats living and working in Japan on the Forum.

There is the Japanese Railway Society in the UK plus at least two Yahoo Forums.

Nagoya is also the main centre for the Meitetsu which is one of the larger private rail companies in Japan and is standard gauge as opposed to 1067mm for JR. Shinkansen are standard gauge.

Hope this helps,

Malcolm

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much for the inf Malcolm - very handy.

I've gone through various postings on the forum you suggested and found some very useful suggestions on where to go and what to see. It seems there is a (new?) rail museum in Nagoya (http://museum.jr-central.co.jp/en/map/), so that'll certainly be on my itinerary!

Glad to hear that Nagoya itself will be a good spot to be, and since I'll be passing through Osaka at some point I'll look into the 'Twilight' service you mention - I hadn't realised there were any loco-hauled passenger services at all in Japan, so this is a bonus!

all the best,

Keith

Archived