N gauge SR gangwayed bogie luggage van

Dorsetmike

Not quite sure if this counts as kitbuilding, more like kit bashing.

The Dapol SR CCT and the Chivers and P&D Marsh kits solve the 4 wheel SR passenger rated vans, but there's only the Ultima offering for bogie vans and that doesn't suit me for 2 reasons, a/ it's almost out of the layout period (mid 1930s) and b/ being on a pension - cost.

I measured up the Chivers and P&D Marsh kits, a Dapol and a Lima siphon, compared to the scale drawings in Mike King's Southern Coaches and decided to have a (kit) bash.

I tried 2 P&D Narsh white metal kits onto a Lima chassis and 2 Chivers onto a Dapol chassis, the Chivers/Dapol is the easier , The bogies on the Lima are a shorter wheelbase than the Dapol - (neither Lima nor Dapol are the correct LSWR pattern)

The attached pics show where to cut and join pairs of sides, also the required removals (shown as green boxes) and additions of vents (shown as Orange boxes). Use the single vent ends from the kits, file off the vent and centre stanchions and fit a corridor connection.

In later years some had the corridor connections removed.and some were used during WW2 as Stretcher cars and some of which had droplights fitted to the centre pair of doors.

post-12633-0-64332800-1321540993_thumb.jpg

post-12633-0-01172100-1321541010_thumb.jpg

post-12633-0-21366700-1321541032.jpg

Hi Mike,

Think you have done a fine job there, I also have a liking for the bogie luggage van see below. Still got to apply some transfers and a bit of weathering yet.post-7101-0-98291800-1321559735.jpg

All the best, Martyn. p.s. oh and the window grills, glazing and corridor connectors, and there's me thought I was on the home run :senile:

Looks a bit bigger than N gauge Martyn. I'm waiting on brake wheels and transfers, I have some more kit parts on order, separate pieces, sides ends and roofs, not complete kits. All I want now is some more chassis, Dapol Siphons are going for silly money on Ebay.

Archived