Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Railway art, show us your work :-)

M Graff

As there are so many talented people here on RMWeb, I suspect we have a lot of artists as well?

I thought it could be a good idea to have a thread where we show our railroad related artwork.

I'll start with this painting:

DSC03890.JPG

It depicts the port at night on my HO scale layout.

I wanted it to look like a painting of a model instead of a painting of reality.

Almost like the old Lionel ads from the 40's.

It is 12" x 16" and is acrylic paint on canvas.

No airbrush, only classical techniques.

Join the fun!

Edited by M Graff
  • Like 11

This is one of my efforts, an electric kettle. It's pen and ink, colour is a mix of watercolour and indian inks.post-9444-0-25143500-1321803551_thumb.jpg

Good to see that it's not just photos where there is usually a tree or pole of some kind coming out of someone's head!

• Like 1

Okay, a painting I did of Ranelagh Road servicing depot over half a Century ago.....

Very nice Larry, and it just reinforces how technically difficult it is to get circular objects like wheels, buffers and smokebox doors in the right perspective. Just a tad out and everything looks wrong. You've done very well there though.

With just enough Heath Robinson to make things even more interesting!

Thanks for sharing, i'm not that good, but I have a couple of pen and ink drawings that aren't too shabby.

Thank you Boris and Mac for your comments. Go on Boris show 'em!

Carl

Most assuredly, not one of mine (I will post my meagre efforts later). If you want a "different take", the below is a portrait done for me as a commission towards a book (I own the copyright on the image) by my friend, Dean Walker.

post-1656-0-11599500-1321873702.jpg

His work is fabulous, but very different from the norm.

We seem to have some very talented artists among us. All of the above very different, all wonderful in very different ways.

Edited by S.A.C Martin
  • Like 4

Annoyingly, I've already "reached my quote for the day" for "likes", but I do like those Barry, very much so. :)

The technical level of the castle is not, as you say, perfect, but it more than makes up for it in what is a very atmospheric shot with great contrasts in colour, particularly the orange to yellow of the fire's light, and the pink to claret of the leaves on the trees, against the dark green and black of the darkening hillside.

• Like 1

Re: Jon020's drawings.

Jon,

The proportions and detail of the loco's look incredibly accurate. How did you get them looking so good?

Carl

Carl,

Thanks.... simple - trace outline for proportions then slowly draw in with refererence to as many book photos and detail photos gained from access to the real locos - as much as possible... and patience.

As for some quick work - inspired by watching Tangmere pass the end of our street one night in 2007:

post-8351-0-66675800-1321900596_thumb.jpg

Jon

• Like 8

Lovely work y'all!

[:D]

I suspected that we could have much fun with this thread.

Not railroad related as such, but a study for a stucko-building in preparation for a painting I'm working on.... and that will have trains!

This one is just 6" x 6", and was made today:

DSC03892-1.jpg

• Like 13

I did this in oils on an 18"x24"canvas a few years ago.

post-494-0-18921100-1321908464.jpg

It's the "Steam Elephant" of 1815 at Wallsend. Based on the original painting that hangs in Beamish museum. I managed to find a suitable old-looking frame for it and hung it on the living room wall.

The original featured as a book cover.

post-494-0-02300200-1321908577.jpg

• Like 7

Lovely work y'all!

[ :D]

I suspected that we could have much fun with this thread.

Not railroad related as such, but a study for a stucko-building in preparation for a painting I'm working on.... and that will have trains!

This one is just 6" x 6", and was made today:

DSC03892-1.jpg

Reminds me of Edward Hopper paintings.

• RMweb Gold

Here is an oil painting I did in 1978 when the NIR Hunslet set on the Belfast to Dublin "Enterprise" service was repainted in the Blue livery.

The buildings in the clouds are the Four Courts in Dublin and the City Hall in Belfast

post-158-0-60908800-1321915985_thumb.jpg

• Like 4