Dia W17 and the Beetle prize cattle wagon

I should think this belongs on here, the vehicle in question being a brown.

Many people know the Parkside kit for the W7 GWR Beetle Prize cattle wagon but non exist in preservation. However the 6 wheel version has two of its ranks preserved, and from what i can find on the ineternet they were labelled Dia W17.

Now herein lies a dilemma. Several source quote dia W 17 as being of a collet full brake, and another a derivative of a Mex converted cattle wagon, and not a 6 wheel version of the parkside kit. Can anyone shed any light?

Back to the beetle, i am looking for the drawing to the dia W17 van, with a view to building it in a large scale, but even 4mm drawings would do.

I read somewhere it was essentially a beetle body sitting on a milk wagon chassis, which is simple enough but i still need drawings.

So, not being in possession of any of the GW coach books, does anyone know which book has these interesting 6 wheel vans featured, and especially which has the drawings.

Before anyone points it out, i know that Didcot and colne valley railway have the prototypes, and i know the drawing for the 4 wheel version exists on the internet. :D

Thanks

LC

This is not a GWR vehicle; there are no 6 wheel SCV in the GWR book, However, BR (WR) continued to use the GWR diag book numbers for some years, and W 17 is a SCV January 1952. I have a poorish copy of the diagram.

http://paulbartlett....5a98d#h37b5a98d

Beautiful full page photo Fig 109 of W734 in

Russel, J. H. (1981) Freight wagons and loads in service on the Great Western Railway and British Rail, Western Region. Oxford Publishing Co. Oxford, SBN 86093 155 2

Paul Bartlett

Diagram W17 wouldn't be a Collett full brake, as these were K diagrams. The confusion probably comes from the fact that Comet kit W17 is for a diagram K40 full brake.

I don't have immediate access to my books, but the one that might have some information would be J.H. Rusell

Great Western Coaches Appendix Vol 2, OPC.

Also see http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=6152

Adrian

Guest dilbert

... but the one that might have some information would be J.H. Rusell

Great Western Coaches Appendix Vol 2, OPC.

Indeed, fig. 608 shows a photo of W17, though the underfame is obscure. Note that the captions of figs. 608 and 609 are inverted. Fig 609 is a W7.

The monster tome of GW Wagons by Atkins, Beard & Tourret stops at dia. W14. However there are 4mm drawings of W14 (a 4whl vehicle), - the bodywork of the W14 is a lot closer to a BR dia. W17 than the GW W7 dia... dilbert

WEP do a really stunning 7mm kit of the W7 - It might be a better start point to bash to the 6-wheeler W17 - but its definitely BR-WR not GWR.

I believe the kit to be dimensionally correct (for W7) but I've checked the diagrams in the instructions and they are not annotated with dimensions. Though I would guess they are to scale.

Hi all

Thanks for the speedy replies, and the heads up on its history.

My thanks also go to comet for using diagram numbers for their kits that dont relate! ah well.

Good to know its parentage, anymore on the claims they were rebuilds and on milk tanker chassis?

Thanks paul for the links to your pages, wasn't it nice of BR to continue what the GW started! Woukld it be possible to see a copy of the diagram, without breaking copyright of course!

Kenton, I'm afraid my intersts lie in things bigger than 7mm, nanmely 27mm scale (ish) or 1 1/16'' to the foot, 5 inch gauge. Roughly 12th scale where you have to build everything, and i mean everything! Think you have it hard 7mm boys!

As to coaches, i'll get onto a mate of mine with a railway library the size of his room, see what the books contain, and where i go from there.

Thanks once again, any further info welcome!

LC

Archived