Thompson A2s - Bachmann rebuilds

Timara

great model don't know if i have missed it some where in the other pages but where did you get the resin parts from or did you make them yourself

Thanks. They're parts made and sold by Graeme King in his spare time. More information can be found here though :).

Cheers,

The sun's been out today :sungum: . Having done a couple of last minute tweaks of the model, this is where it is declared as complete. I don't really need to say much more than these four images below can say for themselves.

post-6712-0-51717200-1352813003_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-15748700-1352812979_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-36624600-1352812952_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-35060000-1352812933_thumb.jpg

Onto finishing 60524 off next. It's very nearly there, since new (and reliable) valve gear is under works for it. :)

Tony Wright and I have exchanged email correspondence relating to the subject matter of this topic and I think it would be of interest to Tim and Graeme to publish, with Tony's permission, the following:

I think what Tim Easter has created, using Graeme King's parts, are fantastic - the locos fully capture the spirit of these 'ungainly-looking' Pacifics and are a credit to his craftsmanship and the ingenuity of Graeme. Having seen the actual conversions, I can comment in person on how they look and how they work. As 'layout locomotives' on Gilbert Barnatt's Peterborough North, they fit in perfectly. They're beautifully-finished, capturing exactly the work-a-day appearance of these 'lesser lights'. They are, one might say, 'entirely fit for purpose'. By the way, Graeme has given me the parts to convert an A2 into an A2/3, which I hope to report on in a future issue of BRM. I wish I hadn't given away the spare DJH cabs to Tim now! Regarding those cabs, when one buys a DJH A2/2 - A2/3 kit you get both sets in each kit, for many parts are generic. It was an added bonus for the purchaser, so to speak.

What I'd like to point out is, though the subsequent correspondence on the thread has been highly-entertaining, enlightening and informative, I don't think some folk have been quite fair on the DJH (or, to some extent, the Crownline) alternatives. I should point out that I must express an interest here, for I test-built the first DJH A2/3 kit and test built the first DJH A2/2 kit (and wrote the instructions for the latter - so if you can't build it, then blame me!). I also did the same for the same firm's Brighton Atlantic. I also made the first independently-built Crownline A2/2 and A2/3 (and A2/1 and A1/1). All were described in the model press down the years - BRM, Railway Modeller, MORILL, etc. I mention all this as a matter of fact, not to indulge in any boasting. I admit, the DJH products have to be made (and painted, though the latter fact is true of the King-conversions) and how they run is entirely down to the builder. I hope the owners of the many locomotives built by me will testify as to how they run. I say again, though I have nothing but praise for Tim's work (and how good to see a younger modeller actually 'making something' - he could show the way for a good many 'older' modellers in that respect!), I can't accept that his methods of producing Thompson Pacifics is 'infinitely' (I believe that's what one correspondent said) better than, say, a DJH alternative. Though the DJH cab might be slightly inaccurate (I think Tim mentioned a discrepancy in the height), its etched-brass construction is 'infinitely' better than the all-in-one-piece-in-resin provided by Graeme. That Tim used my spares surely proves that fact . It's only recently, too, that Graeme has included etched deflectors in his conversion packs. I have to say as well, the resin boiler fittings aren't anywhere near as user-friendly as the DJH cast-metal items. And, how can a 'thick', plastic-bodied tender compare favourably with one with an etched-brass body? At the risk of being tautological, I say again how much I admire the products of Time Easter and Graeme King and give the greatest credit for what satisfying models they produce, but, for the reputations of 'decent' kit-manufacturers and kit-builders everywhere, there must surely be an element of 'hang on a minute, are you sure that the methods Tim describes are so far superior than kit-building for making a 4mm Thompson Pacific?' I need not point out, of course, that neither Tim nor Graeme have claimed anything 'superior' about their products. Such modesty is to their respective credits.

Crownline A2-2.jpg

Crownline A2/2

DJH A2-2 02.jpg

DJH A2/2

DJH A2-2 01.jpg

DJH A2/2

DJH A2-2 03.jpg

DJH A2/2

Putting my 'money where my mouth is', included in this post are some images of Thompson Pacifics I've made. One is from Crownline, the others from DJH. I've lost count of the number of these various visual oddities I've built down the years, from kits or from scratch, but it's well past 20. I don't claim them to be superior to what else is displayed on this thread, but surely they're the equal. By claiming this, I'm trying to be fair to DJH because, I believe, kit-building will produce the better result. The pictures show the various locomotives running on Stoke Summit, Little Bytham and in the studio. The Stoke Summit shots are from donkeys' years ago (with my first digital camera - I think it had a million pixels!), though I hope they show the locos in a reasonable light. I admit, many are the faults, though in the main this has nothing to do with errors in the kits. 60504's vacuum-ejector pipe should be straight for the period depicted (however, I admit the cabsides had to be altered for they're not deep enough below the windows), and neither of the A2/3s has the small footsteps adjacent to the deflectors. I'm sure observers will find many more. In the final analysis, whatever any 'merit' these locos might possess is really down to Ian Rathbone's peerless painting.

DJH A2-3 60516 01.jpg

DJH A2/3

DJH A2-3 60513 01.jpg

DJH A2/3

DJH A2-3 60513 02.jpg

DJH A2/3

DJH A2-3 60516 02.jpg

DJH A2/3

DJH A2-3 60516 03.jpg

DJH A2/3

DJH A2-3 60516 04.jpg

DJH A2/3

Might I also point out to Bill Bedford (from another post), that DJH have produced new 4mm kits in the last 20 years? Those just described.

By way of a close, and I know part of this has been aired before, may I make a comment on the actual prototypes? I realise several observers on RMWeb have defended Thompson's Pacifics (and the man himself), and their motives are laudable. However, whatever the rights and wrongs (and it was all a very long time ago) of his Pacifics' designs, there is one fact regarding the rebuilding of the P2s into A2/2s that shouldn't go unrecorded. I'm a good friend of Geoffrey Lund's son (Mr Lund, by the way, held a responsible position in the running department in Scotland at the time the P2s were rebuilt - he was Haymarket's shedmaster post-war) and he's given me sight of some of his late father's first-hand notes on the subject. A little of these notes has already been published, but not all. With regard to the loss of the P2s, the observations of the man who in part was expected to use the rebuilds for the same work as their predecessors makes interesting reading. There's no doubt the P2s weren't right (no professional railwayman likes hot bearings - even less so a broken crank axle), but a more 'simple' redesign of the pony truck (as was used latterly on the V2s) and better maintenance (Cowlairs was way out of its depth in repairing the giants) would (should?) have been the way forward - not a costly rebuild. Despite widespread claims that the six behemoths should have been used on the ECML proper during the hostilities, it's unlikely that Haymarket or Aberdeen would have been keen to see them go. For all the P2s' faults, Thompson's rebuilding of them produced a locomotive entirely unsuitable as a replacement. Six priceless assets were squandered! It's no wonder that Thompson's name in Scotland after the A2/2s appeared was not spoken with the same reverence as Gresley! Still, the B1s were widely regarded. I hope, one day, the full notes will be published.

Finally, apologies for anyone I've offended, and may I thank those who've wished me all the very best during my chronic (and extremely debilitating) illness? And, also apologies for the length of this diatribe!

Tony Wright.

I'm a good friend of Geoffrey Lund's son (Mr Lund, by the way, held a responsible position in the running department in Scotland at the time the P2s were rebuilt - he was Haymarket's shedmaster post-war) and he's given me sight of some of his late father's first-hand notes on the subject. A little of these notes has already been published, but not all. With regard to the loss of the P2s, the observations of the man who in part was expected to use the rebuilds for the same work as their predecessors makes interesting reading.

I don't recall where I read this, though it was only very recently, that Arthur Peppercorn was sent to Scotland to personally order someone in the running department there to stop stirring things up regarding the proposed rebuilding of the P2s. I presume this is the same chap.

Thanks for publishing Tony's interesting letter and superb photographs.....To me the best layout in the land. That's it ....I hope Bachmann read this and in fact the whole thread, followed by the inspiration to produce one of the Thompson Pacifics to fill the East Coast Gap!

Larry G

An excellent and balanced posting from Mr ECML Himself.Really glad that your making good progress with your illness Tony and can i be amongst the first to wish you and Mo and the two younger Mr Wrights a Merry Christmas and a Good & Healthy 2013.

I have to agree with Coach regarding Stoke although I had a soft spot for Fordley Park and Leighford. Goodness thats just made me realise that I will be 66 at Xmas and many on here will not remember those masterpeices from Wolverhampton's finest.

Kindest Regards,Derek

Well, what can I say.....! I'm rather humbled by what Tony has said there. It isn't often that I am truly lost for words!

There is only one word to describe the sequence of photographs, above, of Stoke - sublime. We are transported; we are there.

Wonderful.

Cheers

Mike

I couldn't agree more! It's a layout I've known right from the start too, from when it was just bare baseboards with a bit of track and the beginnings of the scenery. Almost every January at the CMRA show in St Albans (both my birth city and where I was educated), Tony and the rest of the Wolverhampton guys would either bring a layout or be doing a demonstration stand. I have to say that this was what really inspired me to give things a go and do things differently from the majority. I just about remember Leighford in 1993 (it is just about 20 years ago...) and the following year saw the embryonic Stoke as mentioned above.

I would say that the modelling bug proper would have bitten me from then on in. It also kindled my then interest in BR(E) modelling and I do have a set of etches for a PV Newton (erroneously called Thompsons) corridor third/second. One day they may get built into a full coach....

Cheers!

I thank Andy for adding Tony's comments above which seem to me to be entirely fair and rather flattering too. At some unspecified future point an improved version of the one-piece resin cab might appear, but as Tim has mentioned, my production of parts is done in my spare time so things don't necessarily happen in a hurry or according to any schedule. In the meantime Tony is quite right about the superiority of the thin sided and more highly detailed DJH etched cabs. I am very happy also to confirm that I don't regard resin parts as necessarily being superior to etched ones or to whitemetal castings. They simply offer an alternative approach that some modellers may feel happier to use, and cold casting of resin is of course much more viable for me than say whitemetal casting as a home production method.

Lovely green monsters Tim - now when are we going to have a K4 race ! I'm itching to start mine...

Jon

Thankyou Jon :). I think the K4 will in be the fullness of time. I have other projects on the go at the moment ;). I feel another of our beery evenings is called for post-Warley.....

Excellent photos.

I am very glad TW is well again.

I have also built DJH A2/3 and A2/2 and A2/3's using Graeme resin parts. I prefer Graemes version much easier to build with a excellent ready made Chassis and Tender which in my case had very useful lined Apple green wheels. Luckily I had a spare DJH Cab for the A2/3.The A2/2 are easier as I used the Hornby A4 Cab for both. Since my builds Graemes had introduced etched Defectors Valve Gear and other parts which are obviously excellent from Tims build.

Archived