Curving Skaledale dry-stone walling

The layout I am building requires two or three feet of very gently curved dry-stone walling.

Hornby's Skaledale stuff would be perfect, were it not for the fact that the straight version is, obviously, straight while the radius of the curved version is much too tight.

Slightly curving one or easing the curve of the other is the obvious solution, but how do I go about it?

Mike,

Have you considered the stone walling suuplied by "deltic-locomotives" on Ebay? They usually market the product in sets of mixed straights, curves and corners but, if you email them they will make up what you want on a "Buy it Now" basis. I have used quite a lot of it and think it is excellent. You can get it either painted or not and, if the colour is not to your liking, it takes paint well. You will need about five pieces per foot. I think you would find the curves are quite gentle and, because the pieces are short, you can ease or tighten it a bit without it showing.

Harold.

• 1 month later...

Hi Mike,

I needed something similar a few years ago using the Lyddle end retaining walls, all i did was let them sit in fairly hot water for a minute or so then then gently bend them to the intended curve.

Graham.

Graham Very useful. I made a metal note of your comments at the time. I have just successfully remedied my Hornby Skaledale footbridge. I sense another topic for my Blog!

Regards Ray

Archived