Fowey July 2012

bcnPete

• RMweb Gold

Here are a few photos taken during our recent holiday in Cornwall, namely a week in Fowey.

We hired a boat and (strayed a little too far upriver until we saw the signs :nono:) made it past the docks and a few days later undertook a canoe trip upriver, chosen for that particular day because the stopover for lunch was at 'The Fishermans Arms' in Golant ;) Two pints of cold Guinness and a bowl of delicious 'cheesy chips' and I was ready for the tough paddle back, assisted by my youngest son....and of course it completely ****** it down.

The pics were taken quickly using an iPhone and also my wife's small compact digital but I hope convey a sense of the docks. There was an EWS shunter and we just missed a 66 departing in the distance, who was travelling faster than our paddling :(

Our canoe guide, who evidently had been here all his life told us some great stories, including 'The Beatles' having to row across the river to have to get to the small (inaccessible by road) recording studio by the river and also how the china clay business is being challenged by clay resources discovered in Brazil, with proximity to Europe currently in Fowey's favour.

He reckoned in about 20 years time, all the docks alongside the river will have long gone and been replaced by some luxury apartments :O

Despite the weather, we had a great week...I hope the pics are of some use to anyone with a china clay interest and although I would have preferred to see clay hoods there as I did circa 25 years ago, its important to record the railway scene now to stop us kicking ourselves later.

Besides...I am always happy to see some china clay trains me :D

post-3290-0-92083900-1346605802.jpg

post-3290-0-33427000-1346605952.jpg

post-3290-0-99441100-1346605968.jpg

post-3290-0-43181700-1346605833.jpg

post-3290-0-65835600-1346605856.jpg

post-3290-0-72333900-1346605873.jpg

post-3290-0-04513800-1346605896.jpg

post-3290-0-44313100-1346605913.jpg

post-3290-0-06170300-1346605932.jpg

Is the toad still there? There used to be a GWR toad in one of the sidings - I last saw it in the early 90's so prhaps it has disappeared.

Great pictures by the way!

Perhaps instead of luxury apartments there will be a preserved railway!!!! :)

Great photos, thanks for sharing. I've always had a soft spot for the docks at Fowey, its the mix of busy industrial operations in such a rural, scenic setting (try modelling all those trees!). I know its heresy to some on here(!) but I often thing that Fowey station in steam days would be a great model, a through station thats operationally a terminus, typical GWR branch trains and heavy freight, with a variety of tank engines. Another idea to add to the queue.....

Many years ago in the 90s I canoed from Lostwithiel to Fowey on a school activity holiday. It was superb as obviously you could follow the branch the whole way. Back then it was a lot busier with several class 37 trains passing us and a lot of shunting going on. On the way back to St Austell our minibus took jus passed Par Docks, so even more to see. But as a 'too cool for trains 15yr old' I had to pretend to ignore it all whilst trying in vain to flirt! And of course this was the days before mobile phone cameras. But this was the visit that started my interest in china clay trains, and on the way home to London on the train we crossed a clay train coming up the branch to Liskeard.

What really stuck in my mind about that trip was how busy Fowey harbour was. It was rather difficult finishing the paddle by crossing from the East bank to the slipway dodging the chain ferry, all the pleasure boats and some enormous sea going clay vessels!

• RMweb Gold

Just imagine how much better Fowey station would have been had the line from Par not been turned into the Haul road, and had survived into the BR Blue era :)

Though I spose if that were the case the line from Lostwithiel would have closed instead...... :(

Certainly would have been easier operationally, but as you say it would have taken all the interest from Lostwithiel & that iconic causway at Golant - don't think we could have done without that! ;)

Although I suspect it would always have been the line from Par that was shut, operationally it was harder (steep gradients), trains other than from Newquay would still have had to reverse, some twice, and most importantly ECC wanted better road access between Par and Fowey so the line suited it perfectly and got a lot of lorries of narrow Cornish lanes. It's sad to see any line close but I suspect this one may have been to the advantage of all parties.

I think Fowey docks would be too large to model in any scale sadly but the old station could be done I suspect.

• RMweb Gold

I don't know if anyone else sees this, but for some reason the shots of the actual loading gantries look rather like ones of a model placed against a bushy background.....You hiding something from us Pete? :O :D

If only Mickey...

If you scratch and sniff the gantry photos and they don't smell of talc *, then there's your answer...;)

* for those who are wondering, I heard its the best way to produce china clay dust...

• RMweb Gold

I don't know if anyone else sees this, but for some reason the shots of the actual loading gantries look rather like ones of a model placed against a bushy background.....You hiding something from us Pete? :O :D

Interesting point Mickey - I think it's something to do with the bright, almost harsh lighting - it's the sort of thing we almost expect with a model but not with the real thing (ecpecially not in Cornwall.... ;) )

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived