Coney Hill Light Railway

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Kev,

There will be a brew under way this week, I can post a photo but hopefully it tastes better than it looks!

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Scenic work is therapeutic, I've built a little wooden fence at the Quay Engines factory back door out of coffee stirrers (there are lots on Coney Hill), treated with wood stain & planted grass along it, photo may follow.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to appreciative readers, here's some more views. Must be a slow news week on RMWeb.

Coney Hill was originally planned (not that it was really planned) as running trains of a loco + 4 wagons max. But we can run longer trains and the 'brewery siding shunt' is a stunt (careful) in which up to 7 wagons are shunted out of the brewery to extract two in the dock and replace them with different ones. I enjoy doing this at shows. Here the DVLR Sentinel has a go. Pull!

post-14654-0-62724000-1382468479_thumb.jpg

Over the last few nights I've been working on the details. We are nowhere near 'Bury Thorn & Sons' or 'Moving Coal' standards and never will be, but its improving. Here is the factory back of 'Quay Engines' (or should that be Skytrex Inc?), now with a fence from coffee stirrers, details and added grass. Inside the cabin frame is detailed but you can't see it from this (or almost any) angle.

post-14654-0-22692400-1382468733_thumb.jpg

And don't forget the narrow gauge gypsum tramway, although to be honest I'd often like to. Here is the non-working derelict loco which started out in 1985 as a model of 'Rishra' on a Lima mech. Yes, that could be why its non-working. Note the timber across the rails, straggly grass and one of Phil's omnipresent sheds.

post-14654-0-63704100-1382468884_thumb.jpg

Finally, a non-railway one for Kev, who asked to see the real, as opposed to model brewery. Strictly speaking its 'home' rather than 'micro', with a brew of Young's being the first to christen the new facilities. Cheers! (in about 3 weeks!).

post-14654-0-15993600-1382469055_thumb.jpg

That's it for a few days, hope to see some of you at Sherwood on Saturday. Say 'Hi' and if you bring a loco you can run it!

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Brewing is easier than modeling, rarely goes wrong, can be messy if it does. Setup costs about the same as 3 wagons!

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Here is a link to the Nottingham Woodthorpe show this Saturday. I understand Jim Read will also be there with his 'Moxley' layout so its a double treat for fans of compact gauge 0 light railways.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/calendar/event/957-nottingham-woodthorpe/

• RMweb Premium

Good, friendly show at Sherwood today, there were 5 gauge O layouts + displays

Coney Hill had lots of interest from young fans. Came back with a few rabbits missing!

Wind getting up now.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Just a couple of photos from the Sherwood show yesterday. The layout is enjoyable to operate as it employs 3 locos to run the operations.

The BR '02' handled most of the shunts during the day, with the DVLR Sentinel helping out in the morning and Peckett '1287' making its appearance as star loco for an hour in the afternoon, running with one brake van, then two for a 'special'. The Hudswell Clarke just ran impeccably on the passenger train.

post-14654-0-20966800-1382896519_thumb.jpg

Here the Peckett does a 6-wagon shunt including two brake vans at the front

post-14654-0-29690800-1382896580_thumb.jpg

Then has a breather afterwards!

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Hot news - Coney Hill has just been invited to the Gauge 0 Guild Spring show at Kettering, 1.3.2014.

Delighted to accept! We've also been invited to the GCR 3 day event in June.

So offers of assistance from trusty hands to come & operate for an hour or so/more at these events, will be appreciated!

You can always bring a loco to run....

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Loco crisis!

The layout is back up to prepare it for the Weston on Trent show. Working on the narrow gauge tramway to improve its running. In wheel cleaning & servicing the locos, managed to break 3 of them - the De Winton (oh no!), Wickham trolley, & battery loco. The problem is,apart from clumsiness, most of them were built in the 1980's, for my Groudle Glen layout of the time, and the adhesives & plastics used have deteriorated. So there is a long line of demics and no-one makes 012 locos.

Both the Planet patrol locos survived their wheel clean and with some attention to the track and stock, we can now run a set of 3 Rugga skips, and have assembled an open wagon.

I have located 2 BerlinerBahn TT locos & built & unbuilt white metal 7mm NG wagons (ABS & Peco) which will be for sale, as the locos can only cope with lightweight stock. Photos later assuming nothing else gets broken!

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Here the engineering staff look over the narrow gauge locos to try and find one they can repair....

post-14654-0-08741100-1383507634_thumb.jpg

In the end it's the faithful blue Planet 'Y' type petrol loco which saves the day, here pushing 3 skips loaded with gypsum as the Sentinel shunts in the background.

post-14654-0-94125400-1383507751_thumb.jpg

Dava

• RMweb Premium

'Solved' is overoptimistic, if nothing else breaks we have the two 'Planets' & I will try to fix the Wickham.

The narrow gauge is a bit of a distraction, but small fans (esp girls for some reason) like to see it run!

• RMweb Premium

A battery-electric mining loco has been overhauled and now runs on the NG gypsum tramway, together with a new wagon. This averts the loco crisis! Repairs to the Horwich works loco, Wickham railcar and de Winston will be major and not being progressed for now.

I am away next week so will not be around when the Ixion Fowler loco arrives for the SG line. So just about ready for Weston show next weekend. Just some more bunnies to add to the population.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Back from conference in Cardiff, to find Ixion Fowler diesel had arrived today. Excellent model, smooth slow running & lots of agricultural engineering character. It will get a driver and some details but not weathering before the Weston show.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Coney Hill is all packed up, ready for the Weston show, Fowler diesel ready for its debut. We could run all-diesel, or wait until the AC Cars railbus arrives next year to do that (in 1960s mode).

Dava

Archived