Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

A New Way of Wiring a Layout?

Ian J.

• RMweb Premium

I don't think you would solder the 'wires', I think they'd have to be tied or clamped in some fashion.

The idea for wiring for the telegraph poles was just me thinking whimsically. I wondered what other uses members here might find for such a high strength electrically conductive thread, but so far no-one seems to have had much inspiration.

• RMweb Premium

Having modelled an exhibition layout with removable telepgraph poles and wires I think this is a fascinating idea.  On Long Preston we had 44 wires available (11 arms each with 4 insulator pots) and having done some research there were multiple points were wires went down to the tracks.  These were:-

1)  The signal box

2)  most signals

3) trackside equipment boxes for track circuits.

4) Several buildings, eg the station.

These connections would have provided plenty of points to take feeds to track, signals and point motors, however as the stuff wasn't available I used EZline which wasn't conductive but looked the right colour.

Jamie

The prototype wire is 1/8" diameter.  In 4mm scale = 0.04mm aka 40 micron.  Good luck

Edit:  Just Googled it, sizes from 0.010mm = 10 micron are freely available.  I stand corrected.

At first I thought. '"Working telephone systems, what a good idea!"   Then I remembered how it used to be.

"Hello, operator, can you connect me to Aldersbrook BR Parcels Depot please?"  "Yes caller.  Please insert 4d into the slot."

4d, oh bu&&rit!  How do I even find 4d, let alone squeeze it into my Langeley telephone box?  :telephone:

• RMweb Gold

At first I thought. '"Working telephone systems, what a good idea!"   Then I remembered how it used to be.

"Hello, operator, can you connect me to Aldersbrook BR Parcels Depot please?"  "Yes caller.  Please insert 4d into the slot."

4d, oh bu&&rit!  How do I even find 4d, let alone squeeze it into my Langeley telephone box?  :telephone:

Wouldn't that just be 4 grains of salt in 4mm?  Not sure about P4 though......

Archived