Something that can be done indoors in this 'orrible cold weather!

shortliner

Since it is much too cold to be messing about in the garage, I have been considering a micro based on Dave Bromages post about Annacis Island, Vancouver - with possible additions of Dirty dirt, Municipal solid waste and some scrap metal being off loaded similar to my thread about container tilters - so I decided that I'd need an excavator with a metal shear. Models are available in 1:50 but nothing in HO, so I took a Norscot Excavator, removed the bucket and built my own shear attachment, similar to this one that I found on the net. The shear is "poseable" to some degree - it fixes to the arm (after a lot of thunking!) with a press-stud 

post-6688-0-10854200-1358696855.jpg

and this is the result

post-6688-0-94003200-1358696908.jpg

post-6688-0-20014700-1358696910.jpg

post-6688-0-79007400-1358696907.jpg

Please excuse the colour of the girder - 3 guesses where the Iron oxide coloured paint is?  Right - in the garage!

Since it is much too cold to be messing about in the garage

Please excuse the colour of the girder - 3 guesses where the Iron oxide coloured paint is?  Right - in the garage!

Yeah, i know the feeling, we had 90km/hr wind gusts and ThunderSnow here in Toronto over the weekend and are dropping from a January thaw into double digit negative temps this week (so much wind that my Sunday plans got replaced with an emergency trip to try and fix the centre 1/3 of the tarps on Cape Race at the Toronto Railway Museum which had been blown off exposing the wood subroof). Even if my balcony wasn't locked off while the never-ending replacement of the railings drags on, i wouldn't be able to go out their and paint if i wanted to, though at least my paint is never locked out in the cold!!

Nice work on the claw, looks good, and overall effect will be even better once that girder looks rusty rather than styreney!! In terms of waste, most small operations wouldn't be able to get licensed to do too many different types, especially municipal solid. Scrap and dirt do often do go together at handlers as sites dealing with construction waste will often set themselves up to deal with both while avoiding the hassles of municipal waste materials.

-Stephen

Very nice, Jack.  Has an animal like quality about it....

Stephen, I sympathize - it's cold enough in New Jersey but that's mild compared to what you guys are getting. It's the wind that does you in... That Alberta Clipper that just went through last night didn't dump any snow on us but left a legacy of Wind.

Best, Pete.

Thanks, both of you  Stephen, the MSW idea is that the MSW containers are brought in ready filled, and the site team track is simply used as a loading point from road to rail, without handling of the contents being needed. giving an extra scenic clutter variation!

post-6688-0-16344700-1358854596.jpg

Ray, TBH it didn't occur to me while I was building it, but I posted photos in the transloading thread on The Gauge (Big Blue)forum and was asked how I'd done it - so here is the explanation I put on there - hope it helps - the used, worn look of the head in the last photo. was done by spraying with matt varnish and immediately rubbing some talcum powder on it, then spraying a second coat to fix it.

"Basically I started off by re-drawing the "dinosaur" head, following the photo, roughly to the size I wanted it. I then overlaid it with tracing paper and made 5 small copies with the shape of each layer and transfered them to plasticard (actually the inside of a scrap fridge door! [Waste not, want not!]), and cut and filed them to shape. The layers were stuck on top of each other, then more filing and trimming ( I have only just noticed that the top blade on mine should have been the top pair of "Anvils", and the blade should have been at the bottom! Still, it looks OK!). I cut the bucket off the Norscot arm with a junior hacksaw, and smoothed the end with a file, then epoxied half a press-stud (the bit with the centre sticking out and a flat back) to the end of the arm. I drilled a hole in the rear of the "head" to accept the end of the piece with the "gripping bits" and epoxied that into place. Leave for 24 hours to set solid, and paint. The round "bolt/pivot units" are very thin slices from an aerosol oiling tube placed onto a tiny dab of liquid glue, before painting - I used "Revell Contacta Professional" throughout, simply because I had it in stock. Note that the tube is made of some "odd" plastic so the "bond" is less good than it could be., Because the head is attached with the press-stud it is rotatable and posable to some degree, although the jaws on this are "fixed" with the girder being filed, and trimmed, to fit. It would be possible to fit "hydraulic hoses" from mono-filament fishing line - but I went with the "3-foot" rule and didn't bother,
Hope that helps - it certainly gives a "different" model "

I had two 40' container kits arrive this lunchtime, that have opening doors - I shall cut them down to 20'ers, and so the next job is to make a container tilter

Dave - still no snow in the current session - but the wind-chill factor is horrendous! 

Stephen, I sympathize - it's cold enough in New Jersey but that's mild compared to what you guys are getting. It's the wind that does you in... That Alberta Clipper that just went through last night didn't dump any snow on us but left a legacy of Wind.

We'd have been fine without the wind in general, we can normally survive the snow (even in sad Toronto where everytime it snows you'd think the drivers had never seen it before, like today's 2-3 cm of fresh snow during morning rush hour!!), but the wind wreaks havoc with trees, powerlines, and exposed heritage railway cars!! Fortunately, it appears our temporary bodged together repair on Sunday with loading straps and a big old rope that was laying around in the stalls held till today when other volunteers could get downtown to try and make a proper repair, which of course, as usual, that meant shunting in a snowstorm and working on the roof of a car in the snow, because we seem to be completely incapable of scheduling equipment moves on days there isn't a snowstorm happening!!

That makes sense on the MSW Jack in terms of it not being handled. I know environmental laws on these things are all over the place as generally they are a state/province area of jurisdiction, so you have many different standards in play depending on where you are. I look forward to seeing your container tilters, based on the photos in the other thread, should be an interesting model to construct.

-Stephen

Archived