Mark Hughes WM Metrolink tram kits

Dug out, well came across my stash of the above kits today.

Had forgot how complete a kit they are...

They are rather heavy, but surely with a decent power train thats going too be a good thing? I have got some tenshodos which have compensation within them.

Will have to see how a tidy up goes on one begun many years ago.

Ian

They weren't a bad kit for their time but as you say, rather heavy... For the all metal version of the kit, you will need at least two powered bogies to move the B*+#$@ thing...

If you were starting afresh, the later resin bodied version is much lighter, better detailed and a much better prospect for motorising, but as you already have them i guess it a case of making the best of the w/m version.

I had made a start many years ago with the kit, I have three.

Purchased at the same time from Andy Mullins were a 'posher' Tenshodo with an element of springing of the axles, enough were acquired to provide two units per set and as I was flush a few running spares were provided.

As I said I had made an intial start some fifteen years ago.

The kit as it comes contains a lot of well cast whitemetal, but as PLD says its a kit of its time in materials and machinery used to produce them. The sides, floor and roof all have reasonably well thought out joins. These parts do require some fettling to get the best fit, originally I soldered a side, but in my notes I came the conclusion that superglue and reinforcing with two part expoy would be a less risky assembly method.

I went to bed happpy having glued seven bits of a body together. I have been looking at the articulation unit this morning and not really sure how other than by spigots how the two cars will be joined, it looks a little delicate and I have to say I've concerns how reliable this could proove, I know whitemetal is a naturally lubricating bearing material but its the design for me, will it be reliable?

Ian

Power for the units, is proposed to be pairs of ENDO self contained power bogies.

As I said in a previous post they were purchased from Andy Mullins who was still the owner of Branchlines, purchased many years ago. I was given his assurance that they are a better spec than a Tenshodo unit.

Hopefully they will be widened out to 18.2mm and and I beleive that it is possible to DCC them.

Ian

Few days on and the few parts that had been assembled probably in the last millennium!

The kit is well thought out no argument, but my concern is making things get-at-able as with any modern stock the desire to provide flush glazing is vital. The cab passenger bulkhead partition and floor piece makes it a little more challenging.

Not sure best form of attack build from floor up or roof down?

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Archived