Something exotic to Taunton from the far north

Jim Smellie, of Caley coaches, informs me of his 4mm kit for the very handsome CR 'Taunton Brake', used on through Glasgow-Taunton workings.

As a Devonian*, I thought Taunton was the far north!  :jester:

*Mum and Dad were from Plymouth.

Seriously - an attractive piece of rolling stock. This is what Tri-ang's effort should have looked like.

• RMweb Premium

Nice, but where did this get taken off the Glasgow to Euston to join GW metals?  Somewhere in the far North of the empire? or Midlands as the WCM cut east toward Town?

LMS colours or LNER in the 40s?

Thanks in advance.

Nice, but where did this get taken off the Glasgow to Euston to join GW metals?  Somewhere in the far North of the empire? or Midlands as the WCM cut east toward Town?

LMS colours or LNER in the 40s?

Thanks in advance.

I am told it came off at Crewe and travelled south via Shrewsbury Newport, Severn Tunnel and Bristol T.M. along with through coaches from Manchester and Liverpool.

Mike Wiltshire

The Caledonian was a constituent of the LMS, so these coaches would have been in LMS livery in the forties, but possibly due for scrapping?

It's true that there were a couple of the similar, but shorter, 8 wheel coaches still around to preserve along with CR no. 123 in the late fifties.

Archived