Merseyrail for Dummies

DavidM

Hi All,

I'm chewing over a few ideas for modelling at the mo, and with the soon-ish arrival of the Dapol 73 looming, I'm giving a little bit of thought to a Merseyrail based layout.

I'm currently thinking of a minories-style terminus with a bit of capacity for LHCS club trains, based in Southport in 1994....however I have a few questions as I admittedly know little of the system!

1. When were 73001/6 renumbered as respective /9s?
2. When were the Sandite units repainted from Blue/Grey to Merseyrail yellow?

Any other tips/hints/thoughts on modelling such an era/location would be greatly appreciated as i'm a bit of a novice...

Dave

Merseyrail Electrics had a fleet of four operational Class 73/0 locomotives (Nos. 73 001, 73 002, 73 004*, 73 005 & 73 006), based at Birkenhead North TMD, for use on shunting and other departmental duties. Also to be found a lot of the time at Kirkdale.

73001 and 73006 were repainted into Merseyrail's yellow livery. They were later fitted with sandite discharging equipment and reclassified as Class 73/9.

Moving up during 1994 the locos had a life of eight years or so. The locomotives were withdrawn from traffic by 2002, and all four were later sold for preservation.73 004 was used as a source of spare parts and was the first to be cut up.

Merseyrail Electrics had a fleet of four operational Class 73/0 locomotives (Nos. 73 001, 73 002, 73 004*, 73 005 & 73 006), based at Birkenhead North TMD, for use on shunting and other departmental duties. Also to be found a lot of the time at Kirkdale.

73001 and 73006 were repainted into Merseyrail's yellow livery. They were later fitted with sandite discharging equipment and reclassified as Class 73/9.

Moving up during 1994 the locos had a life of eight years or so. The locomotives were withdrawn from traffic by 2002, and all four were later sold for preservation.73 004 was used as a source of spare parts and was the first to be cut up.

Cheers Ian! I've had a quick trawl through flickr and various reference books and have got a bit of info sussed about the 73s but theres still some gaps.

When were 001/6 renumbered as /9s? At a guess its mid/late 1994 but can anyone confirm?

002 appears to have been little used especially after 1994, was it an early withdrawl?

005 appears to have also been little used on arrival but had gained a new coat of NSE blue by late 1996?

If late 1994 remains as the time period (to allow the ex 501s to be used on Sandites), its looking like 901/002 as a favoured pair.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

December 1999

Rock Ferry

Sandite NMA 6910, 73906, NMA 6911 parked in Platform 3

post-6662-0-28117600-1374021502_thumb.jpg

They were rare out of the network, Flyingsignalman has some shots of them at Hooton. I also caught a 73 at West Kirby but I haven't got the photo here.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Am going to be doing another part of Merseyrail. Whilst I am going to be doing a end of steam transitional, I will be having a cut down veriosn of Birkenhead Central where I often saw JAs sandwiched between a yellow 73. As luck would have it, I picked up a  cheap BR blue repainted Lima 73 as 73005 which just needs a couple of transfers changing. Ideal to go with my large logo 73002 (like the real think, it doesn't move so may plate over the windows) and the yellow 73901 with the much improoved Hornby chassis with better couplings. Might try and get a cheap Bachmann EMU to turn it yellow to go either side of a 73.

I could be wrong but I think that the 73/9s were renumbered well after they arrived up here. There are some pictures on Flickr which shows a charter with two of the Merseyrail 73s, one of which was yellow and hadn't been renumbered. I dare say there will be more detail with the pictures along with dates.

• RMweb Premium

Not sure when it ran exactly form and until but there used to be a museum at Southport called Steamport. Pretty sure it was there in 1994. It was in the old steam sheds I believe and just along from the station running towards Liverpool. So you could have all sorts running to and from there to add interest. Gone now sadly, turned into and Asda.

Archived