Elwood East - late 70s, N gauge, parcels & engineering traffic, very average

Dave777

(Looking for the similar sounding 'Eastwood Town' by Gordon S? Click here)

This was originally my RMWeb 2010 Challenge layout, but it utterly failed to make the deadline and is now merely 'a layout' (although technically still ‘a challenge’ smile.gif ).

All the original posts are below, unaltered, with the project starting up again in January 2010 (post No. 23).

Index:

1) Initial Musings & trackplan development: Just start reading below

2) Definitive trackplan with dodgy sketches: Post 8

3) Very dull baseboard construction: Post 13

4) Scenery formers go in: Post 23

5) Basic scenery is complete: Post 24

6) Ballasting and greenery: Post 30

7) Walls & fences, and new trap point: Post 38

This was my layout project anyway for 2010 and I've been toying for the last month or so about bringing forward a future layout project to build for the competition. But the idea of having two layouts on the go (while finishing the details on the layout I've been building through 2009) just sounded a bit too complicated, so seeing as Elwood East meets the compo rules... I guess this is now the entry! No prizes for originality, but seeing as there's no real snags with the whole build I'm confident this is a project that should be finished in time for the deadline.

Elwood East is set in the 1970s blue diesel period and although there is a station platform no passenger services will be modelled - essentially it represents a station left over from the steam era where the platform is now used for parcels traffic, and the former goods yard has become a small engineer's yard with the odd freight train being stored here too.

The design is a terminus-to-fiddleyard plank layout, and this shows the (ficticious) plan for the entire station with the part being modelled outlined in red.

elwooddiagram1.jpg

I'm never interested in creating a huge back story for my layouts, so the simple idea here is that this was once a station that handled 4 or 5 coach trains, but by the 1970s all the passenger services are provided by DMUs which terminate on the other side of the bridge and simply run out again so we never see them. It's a former steam-served inner city secondary line that is now just about hanging on thanks to its small, commuter-fed DMU passenger service, its use as a storage facility for engineers trains, and the parcels traffic which serves a Royal Mail regional distribution depot nearby.

elwooddiagram2.jpg

Scenery is actually pretty minimal - platform, road overbridge, retaining wall, grassy embankment and probably a row of houses at the top of the embankment. No station building as it and the steps up/down to the overbridge are on the unmodelled side of the platform, and no signal box either as this too is on the unmodelled part of the plan.

Some 'challenge' aspects that I'm trying on this plan are...

1) An exhibition-style facia and lighting. While I'm not planning to exhibit the finished layout I would like the layout to look presentable even in the home, so I'll be trying layout lighting for the first time.

2) Decent ballasting. This is one of my weakest modelling techniques so I'd really like to get the ballasting and the whole look of the trackwork right on this layout.

3) Modelling the 1970s. Not something I've done before, and the simplicity of the plan means there won't be any huge aspect of blue diesel-ness that I need to worry about, but nevertheless it's a period I've never modelled.

Exactly 9 months (and 2hrs) to go, so the project starts here smile.gif

hi

Great plan and the half station approach would allow a loco and the first coach to arrive under the bridge with the loco chopping off and running round?

RE: the fiddle yard, is there the room to bring the middle line up to meet the top line at a Y point, that way they come together quicker allowing more length for the fiddle yard roads,

Re: passenger workings, yes that's an option I hadn't considered, although the two track approach might mean the hole to the fiddleyard is a bit big to get away with the visual 'cheat' of just having the first coach showing. Definitely worth investigating though, thanks for that.

Y-point - yes, the trackplan is a very much diagrammatic and not an exact plan biggrin.gif The whole thing will be slanted or curved to avoid the 'tracks-parallel-with-baseboard-edge' effect so the drawing is just representing the general idea at present. To be honest, although I've had this trackplan pretty much set for the past year or so now it comes to building it I'm keen to try and make it more realistic in terms of prototype layout so I might move things around a bit. I'm not sure how realistic the current setup is with regards to having the former goods yard on the opposite side of the station to the runround loop. I'm interested in emphasising the 'former steam station' angle to the whole thing so a realistic track layout seems important. I'm also thinking about having the remnants of an old goods shed to further labour the point.

Other Qs I need to answer are if it's realistic that DMUs would shuttle in and out of the platform on the other side of the bridge or not, and I'd also like to include things like catchpoints too so need to ponder on where to put those.

The big scenic question is what to have on the left hand side? The right has the overbridge, the back has a retaining wall and embankment, but the left is leaving me a bit stumped at present. I'm thinking that if it really is an old goods yard then a fence with gates might be the best bet, similar to this...

foldingtext10.jpg

...but whereas that had a really small backscene this might be a good 6 or 8 inches high which may look a little odd. Maybe I should include a fence, a road and some houses or shops on the other side to form more of an 'end' to the layout.

The 9 month plan for the build looks something like this:

January - Planning

February - Baseboard construction (it'll split into two parts where the right hand overbridge/backscene is and needs a facia and lighting rig, so reasonably involved)

March - Won't get a chance to do anything on it that month

April - Trackwork and electrics (inc. ballasting)

May - Basic scenics in place (backscene, retaining wall, overbridge, embankment, platform)

June - Complete scenics (static grass, paint ground cover, weathering)

July - Details

August - Contingency time

September - Weather rolling stock

October - Photography for judging

Be interesting to look back in October to see how accurate that was!

Re: passenger workings, yes that's an option I hadn't considered, although the two track approach might mean the hole to the fiddleyard is a bit big to get away with the visual 'cheat' of just having the first coach showing. Definitely worth investigating though, thanks for that.

May be the loco and stock arrive on the top line with a footbridge down from the road splitting the platform and hiding the last half of the coach?

To be honest, although I've had this trackplan pretty much set for the past year or so now it comes to building it I'm keen to try and make it more realistic in terms of prototype layout so I might move things around a bit. I'm not sure how realistic the current setup is with regards to having the former goods yard on the opposite side of the station to the runround loop. I'm interested in emphasising the 'former steam station' angle to the whole thing so a realistic track layout seems important. I'm also thinking about having the remnants of an old goods shed to further labour the point. not sure myself, reminds me of a GC type set up with an island platform, but in the main they were through stations, which brings me to my next wondering suggestion, at the far end, you were thinking about what to do for the scenery break, what about a tunnel with the two lines ending at buffer stops, and partially ripped up track beyond?

Other Qs I need to answer are if it's realistic that DMUs would shuttle in and out of the platform on the other side of the bridge or not, What about running it in on the first line then into the headshut and crossing it over to run out on the other line? as per right line working?

and I'd also like to include things like catchpoints too so need to ponder on where to put those.

when yopu get the final track plan these will become more apparent, initially just think, if wagons ran away etc would they run onto the running lines and potentially hit a passenger train?

...but whereas that had a really small backscene this might be a good 6 or 8 inches high which may look a little odd. Maybe I should include a fence, a road and some houses or shops on the other side to form more of an 'end' to the layout. Check out

Essington Lane for a good example of using the terminating through line at buffer stops.

Looking forward to the pics,

• 3 weeks later...

Dave,

Looking at your layout plan reminds me of a number of stations on the Cathcart Circle in Glasgow - island platform, terraced houses/tenements on an embankment. Even the station building on the bridge is prototypical :rolleyes:. Of course, the Cathcart Circle is overhead electric, but apart from that ...

All of this leads me to suggest another bridge (shock, horror) at the left hand end with the track extended to run beneath it. This could give scope for through running in the future, but for the challenge, what about some red flags indicating a line closure beyond the second bridge? Now your DMU's have a reason to leave the 'arrival' platform (front I presume) and move to the rear line for departure.

In front of this you could put a few weedy sidings as an engineers depot, or something similar.

Just some thoughts. HTH

Yes, an update is required. Been a bit difficult because of the RMWeb problems in the evenings (I've had this update ready for about 10 days!), so here we go - January is meant to be planning month afterall.

Thanks for the replies so far, gave me some things to consider and this is where we now stand (brace yourself for some more dodgy track diagrams).

Two problems with the current plan:

1) Having the runround loop on the opposite side of the station to the former goods yard doesn't seem too realistic.

2) What to do, scenically, about the left hand side to 'finish/end' the layout?

Thanks to those who suggested on this thread and by pm that simply putting a tunnel or bridge on the left hand end would solve the scenic problem, because that's what I'm now going to be doing - all trains terminate here, they just haven't ripped up the line beyond the bridge yet. I also tried putting the runround loop over on the other side so it's next to the former goods sidings:

[/url]post-7489-127376725256.jpg

Now I was quite happy with the fact that it made the whole 'through station' angle a bit more convincing as now we have effectively an island platform with running lines going either side, and a separate goods loop with the sidings running off it. The only problem was that all the shunting - and thus all the uncoupling and coupling - would now be on the far side of the layout. Not a massive problem because the layout will only be inches wide, but I figured I may as well just flip the whole kit & kaboodle over to bring the runround loop and sidings to the front.

post-7489-127376727686.jpg

So I think that's what we're going to build. I've decided I'm not going to do passenger services at all, I've been mucking about with all this 'DMUs terminate on the other side of the bridge' stuff, but why don't I just make the platform parcels traffic only and have done with it. I'm also going to have a mess coach sitting in one of the sidings, hence the black blob sitting there. The flaky line between the big bridge and the embankment is still a retaining wall, the gap infront of it won't be so big - I did originally draw in an extra kickback siding here but it just didn't look right.

Not sure how I'm going to combine the need for curved track that doesn't follow the baseboard edge with the need for straight track over a baseboard join, but simply angling the join might be all that's needed. I think a bit of full-size planning may be required now.

Tomorrow is February and already the schedule has fallen apart biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Unlike others I don't have a very exciting update here. A couple of decisions have been made - firstly I'm going to curve the whole trackplan so that the exits on either end are turned away from the viewing side. I don't really want to be able to see under the bridges at either end as I think it would be better if trains appeared 'on stage' in the scenic bit and that you can't see them approaching from the fiddleyard. And at the other end it makes sense to not be able to see under the bridge so that it at least feels as if the line continues beyond the backscene. I think about a 20' angled bridge at either end will achieve this. It also gets away from the 'straight track parallel to straight baseboard edge' effect.

Secondly, I've been experimenting 'full size' with overall layout length using actual points and rolling stock on the floor and I think we're looking at a 5 foot scenic board and a 3 foot fiddleyard (I can't go over 8 feet in total because of where the layout will reside when operating). The main complication/space eater on the fiddleyard side is the requirement to bring together three lines and then fan out again for the storage sidings - that's four points in a row which even with the shortest Electrofrog Code 55 points is 18 inches taken up straight away. Yep, a traverser would be a much better bet as it would mean the fiddleyard could start immediately where the scenic section ends, but I don't trust my carpentry and tracklaying skills to make this reliable, especially with a baseboard join there too and with time constraints on the overall project. So I'm opting for a shorter fiddleyard that requires a bit more manual handling of stock for the sake of reliability. Decision made (so please, no 'oh traversers are easy, all you have to do is...' replies pleasebiggrin.gif )

Dodgy biro sketch ahoy - note slightly different trackplan/siding arrangement, oops. Neither is correct, there will be a single siding off the passing loop that then splits into two.

post-7489-12658340746916_thumb.jpg

Didn't quite get the bridges right, especially the one on the right - I'm not a fan of roads just stopping at the backscene, so it'll probably be more angled than that.

Next update will be some completed baseboards around the end of February. There. I've said it on the record now... ohmy.gif

Er... 5 days I think? biggrin.gif

As I said...

Next update will be some completed baseboards around the end of February.

I can post some doodles of wiring diagrams and baseboard plans in the meantime, but it's all pretty dull laugh.gif

(posted in wrong thread maybe?)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Blackdog

I see March is a ‘no modelling’ month

Did you achieve February’s aims and objectives?

Dave

Crap, I knew someone would ask, I was trying to keep under the radar with that 'baseboards done by end Feb' comment biggrin.gif

I've cut all the baseboard wood but I've had the top sheet of ply on the lounge floor the last few nights trying to work out exactly where the baseboard join will go and how to arrange the left hand end. Been a bit of a trauma trying to fit in the required trackwork and fathom out what would look best with the overbridge and the like. But I think I cracked it last night and my toggle catches/clasps to join the baseboards together arrived yesterday too, so I think baseboard construction is now ready to begin.

Never too sure if posts of a 'here's a picture of a baseboard' nature are worth it/of interest or not, so might skip straight to the April 'here's the completed trackwork' update instead.

• 3 months later...

Never too sure if ‘here’s my completed baseboard’ updates are of any interest to anyone, so I’ve skipped that and we’ve leapt ahead here from the early conceptual sketches to the ‘construction’ stage being complete.

Let’s get some the negative stuff out of the way first. I’m really not sure if this is going to be completed in time for the deadline as I’m at least a month behind on the original timescale that I drew up. I was getting pretty fed up of the baseboard building stage the other day, it just felt like I was just gluing bits without getting anywhere, and the whole ‘building to a deadline’ aspect has felt a bit too much like ‘work’ and not an organic, enjoyable process. However, we have now got a completed baseboard, with all trackwork down, all wiring complete and point control too, so I should try and boost my own morale really because we’ve reached a significant stage.

This first shot shows the two halves of the baseboard and how the fiddleyard section includes two long batons to straddle the supporting trestles (I couldn’t see how else to support a split baseboard with two trestles – if I’ve missed a really obvious alternative please let me know for future layout builds!)

post-7489-127671957915.jpg

Second one shows the the ‘scenic’ board added. This is held in place by four clasps.

post-7489-127671962872.jpg

Then the lighting pelmet is popped on top, this just slots into the uprights.

post-7489-127671966977.jpg

Plug the light in and switch on.

post-7489-12767197675.jpg

Connect the two boards together for power (not the prettiest of connectors, but these are simple, robust and easy to get to on top of the board) and we're off.

post-7489-127671970692.jpg

I've got a high backscene because I wanted to only be able to see backscene when looking at the layout. This is the view from about 4 feet back...

post-7489-127671992122.jpg

...and this is the typical view when operating - again, the high backscene totally blocks out any view behind.

post-7489-127672005098_thumb.jpg

Not many tracks, but the space meant I could try and get some flowing lines with long and curved points (hmmm, some missing and wonky sleepers to sort out there).

post-7489-127672031152_thumb.jpg

Next up is to sort out the corners of the backscene to take out the 90' corners (going for a slight curve) and then crack on with the scenics. Bridge at either end (scratch built on the left, and I'm waiting for a kit to arrive for the right hand side which I ordered back in April sad.gif ) and then the embankment across the back.

So now I can leave behind the ‘construction’ phase and get to the far more interesting ‘modelling’ bit. I can also honestly say that I’ve learnt a lot about how not to do a three sided backscene and lighting pelmet design baseboard! smile.gif

Parallel discussion about signalling and the like: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/16025-various-questions-on-likely-operations-signals-placement-aws-ramp-placement-etc/

• 1 month later...

Now look, you can't go topping people's layout threads like this as it just brings to everyone's attention the utter lack of progress biggrin.gif

Well with no catchpoints in Code 55 in the Peco range I had to make my own out of styrene strip:

post-7489-128034927724.jpg

post-7489-12803492918.jpg

post-7489-128034930561.jpg

The 'rail' might be a bit thick and needing adjustment, but hopefully that should look acceptable once everything gets a good track colouring.

And here's a just-this-second-taken snapshot of the retaining wall sitting at my feet as I type having a bit of a glue:

post-7489-128034931895.jpg

The joins between sections (Lyddle End) were a bit obvious even after priming, so I'm trying to fix that with some embossed sheet. We shall see.

But you know what the biggest problem has been? This:

Bridge at either end (scratch built on the left, and I'm waiting for a kit to arrive for the right hand side which I ordered back in April sad.gif ) and then the embankment across the back.

Yup, here we are some 3.5 months after ordering and it's still not arrived. Now to be fair the online retailer (who I won't name) did warn me that supplies from this particular supplier were a little unpredictable, but on the flipside I do wonder if it's entirely reasonable to put something on a website that you can apparently supply and yet actually can't for many months. The interesting aspect is that there's no note on the website indicating possible delays and if I hadn't asked then I'm not sure they would have actually told me about the delay.

So, a little frustrating and it's pretty much removed the layout from the competition sad.gif . No bridge means no embankment, and no embankment means the scenics can't be advanced really. I'll complete the retaining wall and I've also scratchbuilt the bridge at the left hand end (needs gluing and painting), and I've also busied myself with some scratchbuilt low relief shops and the like so once those are in place I should be able to post a proper update.

This may betray my ignorance regarding trap points, but I think a tie bar under the switch rails would enhance the look alot. Maybe slotting the railhead at the heel end too? I know that would be overscale but it would give the effect of a hand built operational trap point a little more maybe?

Could you not put a scale mock-up of the bridge in place of foamboard/brickpaper and swap it out for the real deal when it finally arrives?

Yes, the catch point is a tricky one really. Now I think about it, hacking up a point would have probably been the best way to get the correct rail bits required (I think there was a reason why I didn't do this, but I can't remember now). I was a bit hampered because of the wide N gauge wheels/flanges, so the gap looks pretty big. The intention was to get something that suggested a trappoint - yes it's not 100% accurate or perfect, but when one looks at it does it say 'catchpoint' or does it say 'odd bits in the trackwork'. After painting hopefully it'll be the former. I think I'll try filing it down more though.

This may betray my ignorance regarding trap points…

You know more than me matey, as I shall now demonstrate:

…but I think a tie bar under the switch rails would enhance the look alot. Maybe slotting the railhead at the heel end too? I know that would be overscale but it would give the effect of a hand built operational trap point a little more maybe?

So a tie bar similar to a point you mean? And sorry, what’s slotting? Not sure if I’m after a handbuilt trap point ‘look’ though, I’m more after a prototypical one!

Regarding the bridge, I’m not really a cardboard fan to be honest, the lack of relief never looks quite right to me personally. I could put something in but the problem is that the bridge is part of/embedded in the scenery (the embankment specifically) – it wouldn’t be easy to take it out and replace it with something else, plus despite having some measurements on the manufacturer’s website there’s always the danger that it’ll come in slightly taller or shorter, plus there’s some weird stone bases at the bottom that I want to hack off. Overall I’d be happier waiting, but I think I’ll chase them up again and then maybe start searching for an alternative supplier.

We’ll get there. I can progress the street scene at the left hand end and also start doing the sidings as well. It’ll be way beyond the compo deadline, but it will be completed smile.gif

• 5 months later...

Progress report, this layout is still alive and well!

Short of doing a full-on curved backscene I've still tried to avoid the sharp edge/line that results from 90' joins in backscenes. A line of smoothed out, curved filler was applied to each corner before painting. Did it work? It's dependent on lighting really - the brighter the light, the less noticeable the change from the side backscene to the one across the back. However, it's a definite improvement on the 'line' normally seen, so I'd do it again.

post-7489-0-26627200-1296411448_thumb.jpg

post-7489-0-79417000-1296411473_thumb.jpg

At the left hand end the retaining wall is in place as well as the bridge supports. All weathered up to suggest it’s been there for donkey’s years. The backscene was painted with several coats of Homebase 'Clear Sky' matt emulsion, a suitably neutral greyish white.

post-7489-0-20473100-1296411507_thumb.jpg

The platform is made of Peco concrete sides with a Plasticard top. After painting, the paving stones were done with masking tape and a lighter colour, then pencil marks to indicate the gaps. The platform is probably a bit wide to not have some drainage in the middle of it I think.

post-7489-0-70647100-1296411517_thumb.jpg

post-7489-0-97325200-1296411547_thumb.jpg

post-7489-0-86588900-1296411564_thumb.jpg

For some reason I only took one photo of the embankments being built up, I thought I had taken more but apparently not. Oh well, it’s not very exciting, just piles of pink insulation foam being PVA-ed together.

post-7489-0-13821800-1296411591_thumb.jpg

And on with the Sculptamold – I mixed in some PVA with the water to harden the whole thing up a bit as on a previous layout I’d found the finished article quite soft and easily dented. The white colour will disappear under a brown emulsion covering and some hanging basket liner.

post-7489-0-68128500-1296411622_thumb.jpg

This is the Vollmer bridge that caused so much delay and ultimately knocked the layout out of the competition. I ended up scouring innumerable US and European suppliers for it and eventually found a European supplier with just a single kit in stock - it felt like I managed to buy the last remaining example on the planet. Can’t fault the kit itself, the usual high standard of European plastic building kits, although I had to make the matching side parapets myself out of card. I really must lean these back like the prototype on future layouts.

post-7489-0-11842200-1296411606_thumb.jpg

Couple of overall shots of the layout showing the embankments in place, etc. I need to fill in a few holes here and there with the Sculptamold, especially around the right hand bridge, and then the whole thing can be painted. The scary looking card on the flat area is the beginning of a road, but there’s a long way to go on that – I suspect about 50% of this will disappear under ground cover, it’s not much more than a placeholder at present. The two ‘blobs’ of Sculptamold on the flat areas are just slight rises and hillocks to break things up a bit.

post-7489-0-50783500-1296411655_thumb.jpg

Bit of a trackplan tweak as the siding at the front has been moved out a bit to avoid it being parallel with the baseboard edge – schoolboy error, etc.

post-7489-0-32497800-1296411672_thumb.jpg

Things should start accelerating now as I’ve got the roadways, bridge sides and buildings all ready to be placed, so the next update should see it all looking more like a model railway.

• 3 months later...

I’m never too sure what constitutes a suitable progress point with a layout build to warrant an update of any interest. So not sure if this update marks another phase, but here it is anyway… plus it’s been 4 months since the last update. And I suspect for many people this may be the first time they’ve ever clapped eyes on this layout since it was languishing in the 2010 Challenge forum. If you are one of those – hello there.

So with the Sculptamold complete attention turned towards putting in the road overbridges and embedding the sidings into the ground.

For the sidings I used the Nevard Method tm of air drying clay. Chris was kind enough to give me some pretty comprehensive pointers on how to go about this, but I don’t for one second pretend my own efforts come anywhere close to his own. Some more Sculptamold was applied to blend the cereal packet card road in at the edges.

post-7489-0-54704700-1306515568_thumb.jpg

post-7489-0-39520600-1306515589_thumb.jpg

Down at the other end I put in the road overbridge and completed the final bits of Sculptamold. The plate girders were scratchbuilt from plasticard sheet and strip.

post-7489-0-69029600-1306515579_thumb.jpg

post-7489-0-64308900-1306515559_thumb.jpg

And then we leap ahead in time a bit here as we slap on the paint.

post-7489-0-10811500-1306515495_thumb.jpg

These are just normal emulsion tester pots. I really struggled to find a suitable colour, I tried mimicking some reference photos I had and went with brown initially but it just wasn’t looking right. Eventually I settled on a grey/brown splurgy mixed colour, which seems to look about right when compared with some other photos I’ve looked at, but I’m a bit disappointed that it’s another expanse of greyness on what is already a pretty grey-themed layout (although the grass should lift the whole thing, it has to be said). The embankments and hillocks at the front were painted with brown poster paint – this looks totally wrong and pretty frightening, but having used this on a previous layout it actually looks about right as a soil colour under grass.

post-7489-0-00240000-1306515504_thumb.jpg

These huts were both scratchbuilt, the right hand one needs some paint cleaning off it.

post-7489-0-83243600-1306515512_thumb.jpg

Looking the other way towards the platform and fiddleyard entrance.

post-7489-0-64819200-1306515520_thumb.jpg

The shop back yard, I've yet to paint the wooden fence (more cereal packet card). That silver vent pipe thing has been glued on about 12 times, I finally drilled a little plastic dowl for it to keep it in place.

post-7489-0-48417500-1306515528_thumb.jpg

Looking the other way again - shame I knackered my backscene, that'll need another coat of paint.

post-7489-0-82024600-1306516828_thumb.jpg

These are the garages at the right hand end, with concrete fencing. That ground colour is shocking. This is an Artitec resin kit, available from Langley.

post-7489-0-88204500-1306515535_thumb.jpg

Some dogfish, yesterday. Plenty of room.

Right, that's it for now. More soon.

Archived