Drawings/details for Brunel "Cotswold" style stations (Aynho, Heyford etc)

The Great Bear

Hello

I am building a layout based on Kidlington,  (see my signature), which features a "Brunel" "Cotswold" style station and shelter. This type of station was used here and also at Aynho, Heyford and Stonehouse I think, also with different details at St Germans. (The latter has been useful in addition to pictures of the remaining building at Aynho.)

I have got exterior dimensions of the station building from a drawing in one of Chris Leigh's GWR Country station books but the dimensions of the shelter and also the internal layout of both buildings are largely a mystery. I have made my own drawings based on a degree of guesswork which would do, but just thought I'd ask here in case there's more information out there. (I'm not going to model the interiors in detail, but knowing where the interior walls are would help nonetheless and would satisfy my curiosity.)

Any information or clues would be much appreciated.

Jon

PS I think I remember Castle saying on the recent RMWeb visit to Didcot he had a full size Lego kit for the Heyford station. If so, does he know how to fit it together?

Here's where I have got to with my drawings of these:

p1748551232-5.jpg

p1644231240-5.jpg

The buildings I'll make out of card using a combination of Scalescenes and textures from photos. Some fine details like valences I will buy suitable parts.

Thanks for looking and any comments, corrections, info most welcome.

Jon

Might be a long shot but have you tried contacting the archivists at Network Rail?

Their records are slowly being uploaded to the archive section of their website.

They may have the info you need.  They may charge a fee though.

Andy

• 5 weeks later...

No luck on NR archives. Still not sure how much of interiors to model, would still I think like to do something, have internal walls, as using card and texture paper not much more effort to get something roughly ok. Then if decided later on to add lighting in buildings then they won't look like a hollow shed.

Pity I don't live anywhere near St Germans to go and wander around as that's the only example I can find with both station and shelter in place. Aynho would be a day trip and contemplating that to get some photos for a better version of the the stone texture. I wouldn't have the gumption to bother the current owners to see inside in any case!

I have a shot of the ticket window area of Heyford, plus one or two of Aynho when it was derelict. Will attempt to find them and post them on here. I suspect the guys at Didcot took a lot of pictures before they dismantled the place.

CHRIS LEIGH

Thank you, Chris, that would be great. I'll enquire with Castle regarding what info they have.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I would like to report that we are on the case...

All the best,

Castle

I'm delighted to say Drew and his associate Richard have come up trumps with some drawings* and photos. A huge thank you to both of them, very kind.

My first task is to update my own CAD version of the drawing to reflect the info sent through. Updates as and when will be on my layout thread but it's going to take a while; in any case I am starting with the simpler structures to get warmed up for this challenge.

Hopefully my modelling in due course will do it justice...

*Drew's advised they are copyrighted so, understandably, we can't share here.

• 2 months later...

I've now drawn in CAD the drawings for Heyford, with the aid of the plans Drew provided. In some bits I've had to use a bit of interpretation.

p1020243748-4.jpg

p648690407-4.jpg

p681630368-4.jpg

p778116244-2.jpg  p1013043645-2.jpg

There are some differences between Heyford and Kidlington (and Ayhno) on the right hand end of the building, chimneys and windows at the rear, but that should now be ok to do. Then, only have to build it!!! Plan will be to test techniques on the smaller and simpler shelter structure.

Once again thanks to Drew & Co for providing the information.

Jon

• 5 weeks later...

I've now drawn in CAD the drawings for Heyford, with the aid of the plans Drew provided. In some bits I've had to use a bit of interpretation.

p1020243748-4.jpg

p648690407-4.jpg

p681630368-4.jpg

p778116244-2.jpg  p1013043645-2.jpg

There are some differences between Heyford and Kidlington (and Ayhno) on the right hand end of the building, chimneys and windows at the rear, but that should now be ok to do. Then, only have to build it!!! Plan will be to test techniques on the smaller and simpler shelter structure.

Once again thanks to Drew & Co for providing the information.

Jon

There are many similarities between Heyford/Kiddlington/Aynho and Salisbury which I am currently drawing up.

I have numerous photos of Kiddlington/Aynho and Heyford. Please contact me offline for more details so I can send you any copies that may assist you.

Are you going to put lions head masks on canopies???

Terry

There are many similarities between Heyford/Kiddlington/Aynho and Salisbury which I am currently drawing up.

I have numerous photos of Kiddlington/Aynho and Heyford. Please contact me offline for more details so I can send you any copies that may assist you.

Are you going to put lions head masks on canopies???

Terry

Thanks, will PM. The Lions' heads...yes, but haven't really thought how!

Archived