Absolute novice Help with minimum radius OO for tram

deeslexia

I have a toy Hornby train set  gathering dust [ 1980s ? ] with standard oval .

Having found a motorised 1/64 Corgi Tram, and delighting in scenery work , I was intending just to press the track into service .

I saw a continental layout crossing roads with the tram disappearing from view into narrow curved streets which suits me perfectly.

However, it seems that the oval demands a depth of 940 which I would prefer to reduce.

Can anyone advise on what to buy for a tighter radius plus at least 600 straights at front and back ?

The sharpest radius available in 16.5mm gauge is 371mm (14.6") from the Peco and Hornby set-track. You'll have to find out the minimum radius used on British Tramways, but the Sydney trams had a 60 foot minimum radius on main-lines and down to 47 feet was permitted for confined areas at restricted speed. This is 11.25" and 8.8" respectively. You can bend regular flexible track down to these tighter radii. You can purchase set-track straights in 168mm and 335mm lengths. It is just as easy to lay flexible track down and use a straight-edge to achieve the length of straight you want.

Archived