Uncoupling

I have an OO Gauge Yard layout, with several sidings. Most of the activity that takes place is Light Engine movements and moving wagons from one siding to another. The problem I have is uncoupling the

wagon from the loco after the shunt has taken place. This is fiddly and slow. I know there are uncoupling units, but I don't know how affective they are, plus as my track is already layed and ballasted I don't really want to have to rip it up in order to install an uncoupler unit. Are there any alternatives or even a tool which will assist with the uncoupling. I have a mixture of modern stock with Bachmann or Hornby (NEM shaft) couplings. Any help is appreciated. Kevin.

Guest stuartp

Without changing couplings, I can think of two options.

Firstly, there is a thread on the old forum (which I don't think is working at the moment but no doubt will be eventually) concerning adding bits of bent staple to the droppers on tension lock couplings (the Bachmann/Hornby etc type) to allow then to be used with magnets positioned on/in the track. Someone on here has even etched some in steel, hopefully someone will be along with all the details I can't remember.

Secondly, a bit of flat brass/aluminium strip etc about half an inch wide and 4 or 5 inches long bent into not quite an 'L' shape can be used as an uncoupling tool to lift the droppers manually from underneath which at least avoids messing about with magnets. I saw one once at an exhibition made from an old Bic razor with a plasticard plate glued on.

Your question suggests that you have no problem uncoupling between wagons only between the first wagon and the logo ?

I do not use tension lock couplings (infernal devices) so this is only a suggestion.... could the rmoval of the hook on the loco (so only the first wagon hook engages) improve things? I guess the problem lies in all the detailing bits on the loco buffer beam restricting access to a hand held paddle type of uncoupler.

• RMweb Gold

Although I dont use them now, with tension locks I have made up an uncoupling ramp from the

slaters plastic glazing material. the ramp is about 12mm to roughly the dimensions in the diagram. Glue

one a sleeper leave the other end siting on a sleeper but free. This will allow adjust must of the height

to suit. The beauty is it is virtualy invisible.

post-1359-12639943818085_thumb.jpg

HTH

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Without changing couplings, I can think of two options.

Firstly, there is a thread on the old forum (which I don't think is working at the moment but no doubt will be eventually) concerning adding bits of bent staple to the droppers on tension lock couplings (the Bachmann/Hornby etc type) to allow then to be used with magnets positioned on/in the track. Someone on here has even etched some in steel, hopefully someone will be along with all the details I can't remember.

Stuart is referring to what we know as the "Kirby Uncoupler" pioneered by Brain Kirby of this parish. Most of the postings are on the old forum which is not available at the moment, but in summary:

It only works with Bachmann small tension locks which have non-ferrous hooks. These are modified by adding a shaped steel staple to the dropper which is then attracted to a magnet under the track. Those of us who came to it late and had fully laid and ballasted track found that large magnets sold on eBay as Scalextric Traction Magnets were powerfull enough to get reliable uncoupling even through 9mm ply, cork and ballast.

post-6717-12639950187401_thumb.jpg

post-6717-12639950432989_thumb.jpg

Pete Harvey of PH Designs has produced etched non-ferrous hooks that replace the Bachmann ones and make fitting the staple a little easier, he also does non -ferrous replacements for Lima and Hornby hooks

It is a brilliantly simple idea that just works, it cost me approx GBP20 in magnets from ebay for all the uncoupling locations on Summat Colliery, including the hidden storage roads.

Guest stuartp

Stuart is referring to what we know as the "Kirby Uncoupler" pioneered by Brain Kirby of this parish...Pete Harvey of PH Designs has produced etched non-ferrous hooks that replace the Bachmann ones and make fitting the staple a little easier, he also does non -ferrous replacements for Lima and Hornby hooks.

Them's 'em ! (even I did get my ferrous and non-ferrous hooks mixed up). Thanks Redgate.

Archived