Auto Cab Light switch off with V3.5 Loksound

tractor_37260

Thought I pass on this tip on how to get auto switch off and on of the cab lights using a Loksound V3.5

On a standard supplied Bachmann 37 sound decoder, the cab lights are controlled by F8 using function output Aux 1.

This mod will turn off the cab lights as soon as the motor moves, and turn them back on again once the motor stops.

Set CV 129 = 4 

CV 132 = 4 

Both the above CV's should have been set at 0 by default.

With F8 switched OFF - the cab lights will now go on and off automatically when starting/stopping

Switching F8 ON will over- ride the auto setting (the cab lights will then remain ON ) as normal  - until switched off.

This will only work if the cab lights are wired to function output Aux 1. If they are wired to another function output different CV's changes will be required. 

If the cab lights are controlled via another Function button, (provided they are still connected via Aux 1) this mod will still work.

The 37 being used as an example only, it will work on any loco fitted with a Lok V3.5 provided the above conditions are met.

I'm still looking for this option for the Lok V4 , has anyone found this yet ?

HTH

Ken

Update:

Although the above cab light mod (V3.5) works as intended etc - I've now found that the cab lights cannot be switched OFF when stopped/parked up or stabled etc via the F8 key.  Has anyone else using this mod found the same ?  

Any comments for a possible fix etc 

TIA

Yes its possible on a LokSound V4, but its not as simple.   

Working assumption guesswork;  the provider of your sound project on the 37 won't have used all 40 of the "mapping lines" for function allocation, and is likely to have started at the top with the Loksound defaults.  So, for your own additions, use mapping line 40 as its unlikely to be used.   You could check this by reading back all the conditional block CV's for line 40, they would all be zero (set the index values first, or you're not reading line 40! ).  Or just assume line 40 isn't used. 

Find the hardware output connected to the cab light (Aux1).

Finally determine the behaviour wanted - light on when stationary, light off when moving. 

ESU manual, page 52 has the mapping lines.  Bottom line is 40. 

1. Set the index CVs.   CV31 = 16 (page 51)  and CV32 = 4 (line 40, page 52)
  2. Set Condition for action.  Page 53, "Loco Stops",  Control CV A = 2.   Find the CV from page 52,  Control A on Line 40 is CV369.  So, CV369=2
  3. if you want another button to indicate "cab light when stopped", then work out the function key required from page 53, then find the relevant CV from line 40 on page 52.
  4. Set Output.  Page 54, physical outputs, Control CV K.  For AUX1, CV K = 4.    From Page 52,  CV K on Line 40 is CV378,  so CV378 = 4
  5. Tidy up (not strictly necessary, but tidiness helps next time you try to change something) by resetting the index CVs,  CV31 = 16, CV32 = 0

Yes its possible on a LokSound V4, but its not as simple.   

Working assumption guesswork;  the provider of your sound project on the 37 won't have used all 40 of the "mapping lines" for function allocation, and is likely to have started at the top with the Loksound defaults.  So, for your own additions, use mapping line 40 as its unlikely to be used.   You could check this by reading back all the conditional block CV's for line 40, they would all be zero (set the index values first, or you're not reading line 40! ).  Or just assume line 40 isn't used. 

Find the hardware output connected to the cab light (Aux1).

Finally determine the behaviour wanted - light on when stationary, light off when moving. 

ESU manual, page 52 has the mapping lines.  Bottom line is 40. 

1. Set the index CVs.   CV31 = 16 (page 51)  and CV32 = 4 (line 40, page 52)
  2. Set Condition for action.  Page 53, "Loco Stops",  Control CV A = 2.   Find the CV from page 52,  Control A on Line 40 is CV369.  So, CV369=2
  3. if you want another button to indicate "cab light when stopped", then work out the function key required from page 53, then find the relevant CV from line 40 on page 52.
  4. Set Output.  Page 54, physical outputs, Control CV K.  For AUX1, CV K = 4.    From Page 52,  CV K on Line 40 is CV378,  so CV378 = 4
  5. Tidy up (not strictly necessary, but tidiness helps next time you try to change something) by resetting the index CVs,  CV31 = 16, CV32 = 0

Aha - many thanks for the info Nigel  -  will try this out soon

• 1 month later...

Only way I can think of achieving the target for a V3.5 is by a wiring change.    Use Aux2 as a second output to drive a switch.  Set Aux2 to be controlled by F8.   Then, route the output Aux1 via the switch controlled by Aux2.   

The "switch" can be achieved in several ways;  transistor wired as a switch,  it may be possible to just use the output of Aux2 to "drag" the voltages around using suitable resistors (depends on the cab lighting circuit), or a relay (overkill in size, but many people find them easier to understand).

It should be achievable with CV settings in a V4 as discussed earlier in the thread. 

Update:

Although the above cab light mod (V3.5) works as intended etc - I've now found that the cab lights cannot be switched OFF when stopped/parked up or stabled etc via the F8 key.  Has anyone else using this mod found the same ?  

Any comments for a possible fix etc 

TIA

Ken,

I tried this today on my Bachy, sound-fitted 37 and found it exactly as you say.  I have reset mine to standard as it looked a bit odd when shuffling back and forth to have the cab lights coming on and off repeatedly.

Harold.

Only way I can think of achieving the target for a V3.5 is by a wiring change.    Use Aux2 as a second output to drive a switch.  Set Aux2 to be controlled by F8.   Then, route the output Aux1 via the switch controlled by Aux2.   

The "switch" can be achieved in several ways;  transistor wired as a switch,  it may be possible to just use the output of Aux2 to "drag" the voltages around using suitable resistors (depends on the cab lighting circuit), or a relay (overkill in size, but many people find them easier to understand).

It should be achievable with CV settings in a V4 as discussed earlier in the thread. 

Hi Nigel

Thanks for the reply. Not being able to switch off the cab lights when stopped etc, kind of defeats the purpose - will probably just switch off the auto mod,  Aux2 is already in use for tail lights.  Shame as this mod works fine on Zimo decoders, which still allow the cab lights to be turned off via the F key when stopped. 

Regards

Ken

Ken,

I tried this today on my Bachy, sound-fitted 37 and found it exactly as you say.  I have reset mine to standard as it looked a bit odd when shuffling back and forth to have the cab lights coming on and off repeatedly.

Harold.

Harold

Thanks, that now confirms what I found, and that I've not perhaps altered something else by mistake without realising it. I'll most likely re-set mine also.

Ken

Hi Nigel

Thanks for the reply. Not being able to switch off the cab lights when stopped etc, kind of defeats the purpose - will probably just switch off the auto mod,  Aux2 is already in use for tail lights.  Shame as this mod works fine on Zimo decoders, which still allow the cab lights to be turned off via the F key when stopped. 

Regards

Ken

Ken, you could use Aux2 for two things simultaneously, so long as you're happy that "Tail Light on, and Loco Stopped = Cab Light On".   Another option would be to add a second (cheap/basic) decoder, set to the same address, but pre-programmed to the behaviour you want.

I think its not totally fair to make the Zimo comparison.  A current ESU V4 will do what you want.  

- Nigel

Ken, you could use Aux2 for two things simultaneously, so long as you're happy that "Tail Light on, and Loco Stopped = Cab Light On".   Another option would be to add a second (cheap/basic) decoder, set to the same address, but pre-programmed to the behaviour you want.

I think its not totally fair to make the Zimo comparison.  A current ESU V4 will do what you want.  

- Nigel

Nigel

I have considered the second decoder route, and also the 6 output loksound 21 adaptor plate - still undecided at present.

The reference to Zimo was intended more as an observation rather than a comparison.

I tried setting up this auto cab switch off on a Loksound 4 (std Bach supplied) using your above info but failed to get it to work, although possibly, my fault ?

I set CV31 = 16   CV32 =4

CV369 =2 

CV378 =4

I worked out that for F8 the (default cab light control) I needed to set CV371 = 16 for F8 to be On when stopped - this may well be incorrect ?

Re-set CV32 back = 0

But when I read back the CV settings I assumed I set, they were (still) all 0 - the new settings for CV369/378/371 were not programmed/accepted, either via prog track or POM 

Very odd ? 

However to verify that all was OK system wise etc (Lenz100v3.6) I did manage to set up the adjustable Vol/mute facility option on F14 and it works perfectly.

Any ideas ?

Ken

Ken,  Your numbers looks right, so its a bit baffling.   I assume you had CV31/32 set correctly before reading back.    Volume change suggests that high number CVs are fine on your Lenz system, and you can work the CV31/32 stuff. 

Have you tried to just control Aux 1 from a function key within Mapping Line 40 ?  For example, making Aux1 respond to FnKey2 (or anything of your choice), just to prove something is working ? 

Another thought:

Some time back, ESU extended the number of mapping rows in the LokProgrammer software, and this may be tied to the firmware version in the decoder.   The original limit was 32 rows, but later it became 40 rows.   So, you might want to try again on Row 32, rather than Row 40.  (Those changes by ESU were before they had documented the high number CV's and mapping rows, so it was something I spotted in the LokProgrammer software, rather than anything formal from ESU ). 

Nigel

Well partial success using Row 32  -  the new settings are now accepted and confirmed on read back, so your thoughts on using row 40 were probably correct.

CV 31 = 16

CV 32 = 3

CV 497 = 2

CV 506 = 4

CV 499 = 16

However the changes have no effect on the cab lights (Aux1), they still just switch on/off via F8 - with no auto switching etc

Ken, 

I remain puzzled, but getting progress with Row32 being readable is a start.  Seems that my hunch there was correct. 

A way to get to this one "sideways" might be to use "Aux1(2)".  For the first four outputs on a V4, there are two output behaviours.  So, could try to put Aux1(2) onto Row32 and see what happens.  The output for Aux1(2) is CV31=16 CV32=3 CV507=64.   See if you can set that, and also just set a function key of your choice (excluding F8) to control Aux1(2), without worrying about the "stopped" values yet.  If that works, then consider the "stopped" values.    I think the default for Aux1(2) behaviour will just be "full brightness, no flashing effects";  if it works any fine tuning of brightness (etc) can be added later. 

The other thing is to attack the problem from the FnKey8 side of things;  and remove that key from Aux1(1).  That's probably in Row 14, and you could remove Aux1(1) from that row, leaving the other features (sound on/off, etc.) still attached to FnKey8. 

A way to get to this one "sideways" might be to use "Aux1(2)".  For the first four outputs on a V4, there are two output behaviours.  So, could try to put Aux1(2) onto Row32 and see what happens.  The output for Aux1(2) is CV31=16 CV32=3 CV507=64.   See if you can set that, and also just set a function key of your choice (excluding F8) to control Aux1(2), without worrying about the "stopped" values yet.  If that works, then consider the "stopped" values.    I think the default for Aux1(2) behaviour will just be "full brightness, no flashing effects";  if it works any fine tuning of brightness (etc) can be added later. 

>> I tried CV31=16 CV32=3 CV507=64  I also set CV 500 = 4  to use F11 in place of F8 ? but still no joy !

The other thing is to attack the problem from the FnKey8 side of things;  and remove that key from Aux1(1).  That's probably in Row 14, and you could remove Aux1(1) from that row, leaving the other features (sound on/off, etc.) still attached to FnKey8. 

>> Not sure how the above works or is applied etc ?  

Thanks for your time and input on this, shame we can't seem to get a working result (yet)

Regards

Ken

To remove Aux1(1) from FnKey8 requires finding the mapping row which is used by FnKey8.   If the sound project follows the ESU conventional arrangement (its highly likely to follow it, but not guaranteed), then the FnKey8 is on mapping line 14.   Read across mapping line 14 and find the CV for FnKey 8 and Aux1(1),   FnKey8 is in "control CV C", or, CV31=16, CV32=2. and read CV467, predicting value 16 for FnKey8.  Aux1(1) is in Control-K, CV31=16, CV32=2, CV474=4 So, predict that CV474 should read value 4 .  Assuming these reads are as predicted, then we can change them.  (If not as predicted, then there is more searching to do, and also if you can't read them, don't change them because you won't know what to put back if things don't change as expected !!).

So, remove Aux1(1) from the row by changing (CV31=16, CV32=2) CV474 = 0.   This should remove the cab light (Aux1(1)) from FnKey8. 

Then, can look at adding Aux1(1) to a key (or behaviour such as "stopped") on another mapping line, such as mapping line 32. 

I think its getting close to calling time on this one. Without being able to read a shed-load of CV's from the loco, its hard to work out what's happening.   I'd guess that you're in Scotland, I'm in Suffolk, so chances of a meeting at a show to debug this is low.    I'm sure its possible to solve, but we're missing something between us.

- Nigel

Got fed up of "pushing buttons" so before going any further - I decided to try sorting this out using the (V4) Lokprogrammer 

Although I've used the Lokprog previously on V3.5 decoders - presently (V2.7.9) I've refrained until now in using the V4 - (now 4.4.9) due to the warning re the requirement of an FTDI/USB cable- however I decided to load it up today regardless without said FDTI cable and it appears to work fine on Win XP ? However, the screen shots etc are totally different to the earlier 3.5 - V2.7.9  version, and the latest UK Lokprog manual I can download does not relate either  - ugh  another can of worms !

Will have to spend some time getting used to the new layout/workings etc - an up to date manual would certainly have helped !

Perhaps it will be easier to finally get this mod working using the Lokprog rather than the Lenz ?  before as you mention "calling time" 

- Ken

Ken,  yes, should be easier with the LokProgrammer.    You should be able to set each mapping line with an easier to understand user interface, and then set the CV's.   Just take it carefully so you don't attempt to write a blank audio project to the chip and erase the existing sound files !

There is a Yahoo group for ESU, as well as ESU's own forums.  Both are good resources for questions about using LokProgrammers. 

Ken,  yes, should be easier with the LokProgrammer.    You should be able to set each mapping line with an easier to understand user interface, and then set the CV's.   Just take it carefully so you don't attempt to write a blank audio project to the chip and erase the existing sound files !

There is a Yahoo group for ESU, as well as ESU's own forums.  Both are good resources for questions about using LokProgrammers. 

Nigel

If/when I eventually get a result - I'll add it here

Thanks again for your help

- Ken

Nigel/all

Without the use of the V4 lokprogrammer, (even without a manual) this may well have ended up a never ending quest ! However, as you already advised, this mod should will work on the V4, giving Aux output auto switching with movement AND also being able to turn it off via an F key when stopped etc.  It would appear that 5 CV's require setting up to enable it, once I've verified it works as intended on various F keys etc I'll post up an example, on a new thread, as this one is titled for the V3.5.

Regards

Ken 

Archived