DJH Class 03 Starter Kit

Guest 40-something

Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

Im looking at purchasing my first loco kit, looking at the DJH 03 it seems straight forward enough but my main question would be how hard is the cab to get right?

I am, as they say, hard of soldering!

That kit will not help the 'hard of soldering' though... 

The photos of Brian Daniels' 03 being built - here

- gives a bit of an idea of the progress. Looks pretty straightforward with inside soldering in the cab that, with a little patience and cleanliness, should be pretty straightforward. I intend to buy and build one of the Little Loco 03's as soon as they become available, as the price difference and options for variation appeal to me, but the DJH is a very sound option.

Guest 40-something

Thanks folks, seriously considering ordering one now!

I can do basic soldering, but have a friend who is a Gandalf of the iron who'll help me with any really difficult bits I encounter.

I have one of these I bought recently. It's very well designed and will assemble fairly quickly into a very good model. The options available in the kit covers just about every one of the prototype variations. I'd say it's pretty good value for money, considering you get everything you need, bar paint and solder.

There are only two problems with it: the wheels are the wrong size (3'6" instead of 3'7") and the bonnet vents are poorly moulded.

Guest 40-something

I have one of these I bought recently. It's very well designed and will assemble fairly quickly into a very good model. The options available in the kit covers just about every one of the prototype variations. I'd say it's pretty good value for money, considering you get everything you need, bar paint and solder.

There are only two problems with it: the wheels are the wrong size (3'6" instead of 3'7") and the bonnet vents are poorly moulded.

I can cope with the wheel diameter being a wee bit out, I think the kit builds into a lovely model

Hello Joe. The wheel problem will be solved when Slaters have completed the wheels I'm commissioning for my kit, so there'll be available soon and direct from them.

I notice you have a wanted ad up. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with mine yet, but if I decide to sell I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Steve

Archived