Contemporary Shortline Operatons (USA East Coast)

trisonic

I thought that I would put some movies of SMS Rail Lines on here, starting with a short of their Morrisville PA Operations.

This is not a perfect movie but if you accept it for what it is, it contains some interesting views;

* SMS loco #102. A Baldwin DS4-4-750 originally built for "Youngstown Sheet & Tube" (love that name - but you have to say it) #701.

* Close up shots of some modern freight cars (SMS link with CSX).

* Coupling shots.

It is also in HD. 

Feel free to add your favourites, just keep it modern and East Coast.

Best, Pete.

More SMS Rail Lines:

2003/2013 Baldwin Field Day.

SMS are one of the few relatively "railfan" friendly (they are not a "tourist" railway, however, this is a proper working freight line). If you are in the neighbourhood of the Philadelphia area or across the river in southern New Jersey (Pureland) give them a call and tell them you are from the UK - you may be surprised.

http://www.smsrail.com/

Best, Pete.

Video to follow asap.

Winchester & Western are similarly friendly and in South Jersey, most of their business is sand (the parent company is a mining/minerals co) but they also service agricultural customers, and a range of other work. There is also a division in Virginia but it's their operation in Bridgeton, NJ that I know best. As well as routine maintenance the shops at Bridgeton have converted most of their high-hood GP9s to low-hood and done work on other operators locos.

More SMS Rail Lines this time from their New Jersey Pureland site.

Apart from the beautiful ex Pennsylvania  Baldwin repainted in original Pennsylvania livery again there are some  shots of freight cars from 2011 - including the Southern boxcar of the "Green Light" "Southern serves the South" era which I think is the same one I saw in Bayonne a couple of years ago.

Good views for weathering purposes....

Enjoy.

Best, Pete.

I think there are a few of those Southern boxcars kicking around still, I've seen one in person and a few on videos of CSAO trains in South Jersey

Thanks

Chris H

Yes they still seem to be pretty common. I saw this one on a trip to Texas in March 2012

post-17228-0-20831700-1396113789_thumb.jpg

This time it's the turn of the "New York Susquehanna & Western". This amazing Shortline actually owns 400 miles of track - but it is still a shortline over here....

It connects with NS, CSX and CP and runs from New York State just going into Pennsylvania and finally to New Jersey.

This film includes some nice locos (incl. a NS GP38-2 in great condition).

The NYS&W company website: http://www.nysw.com/

Cheers, Pete.

Nice! And so long as they are on the East Coast the more the merrier....

The idea is just to plant some ideas in brains. Some of the liveries are relatively easy to reproduce too. Not many engines are needed either. And just look at the mix of freight cars that can be utilized.

Super for Carl or Jack type layouts or larger slim Inglenooks, etc.

Best, Pete.

Dear Pete,

Points for the use of the term "Bucolic" and not in relation to Lucius Beebe's "Mixed train daily".
(maybe it's time for a diesel-era updated revision/republish? ;-) ).

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

PS I know I have a couple of AN SW1500s salted away, with blue-w-white-stripe livery was a "EMD factory default" scheme which could be patched to fit most any shortline...
Hmmmm....

John,

I actually found a good video (and then lost it.......d'oh). Of a NS loco working over a stretch of shortline. The shortline was of the typical poor repair kind -  you could see  the suspension of the modern 6 axle loco really working overtime and almost feel the sprung mass of the loco (still) almost sailing serenely over the track. It tied in, to me anyway, contextually with your thread on P87.

We cannot duplicate the inertia of that kind of mass in a smaller scale - or at least - I don't think we can. Is this a reasonable argument?

Best, Pete.

PS I'm an urbanite by nature. Anything south of the Bronx is bucolic to me...

John,

We cannot duplicate the inertia of that kind of mass in a smaller scale - or at least - I don't think we can. Is this a reasonable argument?

Best, Pete.

PS I'm an urbanite by nature. Anything south of the Bronx is bucolic to me...

Dear Pete,

This is popping up in a few places recently. Some modellers opine that the "up/down axle boxes" look is do-able in HO, particularly if you happen to be running brass Overland Models drives (seperate floating axleboxes) and replace the virtually-solid stock "super strong" springs with Kadee knuckle springs or NWSL "wimpy" springs. (Can;t recall the GMR issue right at this moment, but the feature article "Davis Junction" was P87 and was known for such performance).

Indeed, makes me wonder is the traditionally "floppy" Kadee sprung trucks could do the job?

The mass of the body shells on the models, and their centre-of-gravity is such that a "rock n roll" doesn;t seem like it will "just automatically scale",

I know in testing a carfloat model which was intended to have "swell rock" effects, it took a counterbalanced weight hanging down a good 2' below/thru the benchwork to get a pleasing "weighted/floating-displacement" rock.

That said, I just a few nights ago tried an experiment (inspired by refinding the Davis Jct article) with a length of PECO Code 83 flextrack, and a 25-88 wheel-set equipped Branchlines Railbox, and a similarly equipped Ath tankcar rolled thru without issue, and a nice "linear-sequence side to side" rocking motion. No extra weight added for the test, but both cars were configured with pseudo "3-point" truck config as is my normal practise. One truck "just loose enough to swivel", the other loosened enough to "rock" a few degrees in each direction. Funnily enough, with the bent-track just laid on the coffeetable, the 3' length looked like a shallow banana (each end raised a few actual inches above "table flat" datum). However, with a weight at each end, the "soft joints" were a scale 12+" below the crest of each 39' "rail length". Temporarily tacked down at the high-points with 0.010" (approx 1") styrene under each "crest", the motion was at near-eye-level quite gentle and yet noticable IMHO...

As for "linear motion" momentum/intertia/dynamics, IMHO our "free rolling" trucks are maybe actually too free-rolling. By adding a touch of drag via repurposed Kadee #5 centring springs, we can emulate the "loco drifts to a coupling, giving the cars just a nudge" inertia physics quite easily. Emulating the "flying drop" rolling inertia is harder, but not impossible, esp if you are running DCC-equipped boxcars, or a NWSL "flywheel" boxcar mech... ;-) 

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

PS I know we've seen the YT of the ex ICG Geep almost rocking itself off the tracks. My question would be, when you see a line of box or covered hopper cars "rocking" in sequence over a soft joint, what's the observable "offset" at the top corners of the cars? If we know this, and the height/width dimensions, we should be able to calc how "depressed" the joint is relative to the "solid rail", and that would then give us a scale dimension to aim for when bending rail to emulate "soft joint" trackage, no?

(or am I simply thinking too hard about it all??? ;-) ).

Yes they still seem to be pretty common. I saw this one on a trip to Texas in March 2012

I saw a three of them in a cut of NS boxcars in the Toronto area last weekend. Fallen flag liveries are not that uncommon, even ones that haven't existed for more than thirty years.

Adrian

I thought I'd make up for off-topic postings on fallen flag freight cars by offering the Claremont and Concord railroad in New England. They have a couple of short lines including one from White River Junction in Vermont across the river to Lebanon New Hampshire. Short is the operative word as it is less than a mile long. The RR runs from the Washington County RR (part of the Vermont Rail System) in WRJ TO the Eagle Leaf Transload. Main traffic is cement but apparently it also sees Salt and LPG cars. For many years the motive power was an Alco S4 switcher, but apparently a GP9 is now used.

Here's a few photos I took in 2008 and yes I did get a cab ride!

PS I'll post a YouTube clip when I work out how to do itpost-17228-0-10617600-1396299598_thumb.jpg

post-17228-0-12790500-1396299630_thumb.jpgpost-17228-0-20824700-1396299675_thumb.jpgpost-17228-0-50823000-1396299704_thumb.jpg

Archived