55 Years in the making - Le Mortier

I'm not sure where to post this but as it is most definitely a scratchbuild then this is probably as good a place as any!  When I was a young lad, in a time when the sun always shone and all the fruit gums were black ones, I got a copy of the March 1959 Model Railway News.  I can't remember whether I bought it new or if it came to me by default but it was definitely a long time ago!  In this magazine was an article by the late great Dennis Allenden featuring a small French narrow gauge station situated in the middle of nowhere serving a sparsely populated area.  This was (is?) 'Le Mortier Gumond' (Gumond being the next village which didn't warrant it's own station so shared Le Mortier's.)  Something about the style of the structure fascinated me and I 've always said that, one day, I would build it.  Well, in a fit of enthusiasm a week or so ago, I have!  I don't have a layout to place it on (yet) but I have bought a couple of 'mid-european' vintage 4-wheel coaches to be going on with.  Just in case, mind you, I don't want to get to carried away by the project...................

The model is built from a card basic structure with overlays of Evergreen fine planking and assorted strip, some shingle roofing from a 'bits-box' at a show, Slaters random stonework and some old texture paint for the rendered areas.  Painting is with acrylics and I may add some very light dry brushing to pick out the planking slightly.

For the present it stands all alone but my intention is to place it on a small diorama with some tall trees around and some very run-down and buried trackwork.

The really nice thing is that it still exists!  Using Google Earth, look up 'Le Mortier' in central France and on Street view it is there, plain to see.  No tracks any more and trees growing where they once ran - but still lots of atmosphere.

Photo 1 - the track side from the ticket office end.

post-807-0-99399500-1399215042_thumb.jpg

Photo 2 - from the other end.

post-807-0-73482100-1399215098_thumb.jpg

Photo 3 - the 'backside'.

post-807-0-37521200-1399215135_thumb.jpg

Photo 4 - the original article

post-807-0-42036200-1399215216_thumb.jpg

Photo 5 - the next pages

post-807-0-79509300-1399215256_thumb.jpg

Very nice! Lots of photos of these stations (although none of this particular one, sadly) here:-

http://www.lemosin.net/vml/gares_tc.htm

Thanks for the link, some interesting shots there.  I'm surprised that Le Mortier doesn't feature, especially as it still seems to exist.  There is also the line's main loco shed and shops still there at the back of the station, easily visible on Streetview (to make potential modelling easier?).

Looking at the photos, it's amazing how similar they are - yet they all have subtle differences.  Plain or decorative barge boards, doors and windows on different walls, 'handing', loading dock variations, double and single length offices etc. etc.

Is there anything published in English on the T de C?  I'm afraid I'm getting hooked!  I wouldn't have any major problems on translation from French (my son-in-law is French - but living in France) but it would be nice to be able to settle down with a book and read up on it all.

Paul - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dernier-tramway-vapeur-France-souvenirs/dp/2903651574 not cheap - though another telecharge site (see google) lists it as being available for Kindle as an ebook. I have a memory that Giles Barnabe did it as a multi gauge model many years ago

See also http://lacorreze.com/transports/tramway1.htm

http://jeanpaul.toulzat.pagesperso-orange.fr/crbst_1.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt4EhfaMupc  plus a whole lot more!

Thanks Jack - that book looks tempting!

All now bookmarked in a file named 'Correze'!

EDIT - I've just remembered that I've got 4 boards in the loft that make up into a small continuous run format.  I made them for my grandson but he hardly used them.

Perhaps I will..........................

Oh dear, I've just succumbed to temptation and ordered the book.

I'll tell Mrs 5050 to blame that Jack Shortliner, it's all his fault sending me that link :whistle:

Hi, I remember that article,it gave me a lifelong interest in French secondary railways.  We have a little house about 40 minutes from Ussel which was one of the points where Tramways of Correze made a link with the main line.  It was one of the last survivors of the huge metre gauge network of France.  A good friend, ten years older than me had the good luck to travel of one of the last trains (and photograph it) He returned the next year and took a lot more photos of all the stock gathered waiting to be scrapped.  If you are on Google Earth again put in" Viaduc de Rochers Noirs" near Soursac . You will find the most amazing bit of engineering the line built.  Opened by President Poincare in 1910, I think.  10 years ago we drove the car over this quite spectacular bridge.There were plans to re-open this bit of line for tourists. I see that the HSE have got to it, the road is now gated and the deck cordonned off. Pity! There are many bits  of the railway left if you get your eye in, lovely country well worth a trip. 

The little box on your station that you have painted red, should, if it is a post box, be yellow in La France.  Lovely model, unfortunately the company Gecomodelle no longer trades but they made kits for all the stock you need,  You might if very lucky find them occasionally on ebay france. Regards.

Hi, I remember that article,it gave me a lifelong interest in French secondary railways.  We have a little house about 40 minutes from Ussel which was one of the points where Tramways of Correze made a link with the main line.  It was one of the last survivors of the huge metre gauge network of France.  A good friend, ten years older than me had the good luck to travel of one of the last trains (and photograph it) He returned the next year and took a lot more photos of all the stock gathered waiting to be scrapped.  If you are on Google Earth again put in" Viaduc de Rochers Noirs" near Soursac . You will find the most amazing bit of engineering the line built.  Opened by President Poincare in 1910, I think.  10 years ago we drove the car over this quite spectacular bridge.There were plans to re-open this bit of line for tourists. I see that the HSE have got to it, the road is now gated and the deck cordonned off. Pity! There are many bits  of the railway left if you get your eye in, lovely country well worth a trip. 

The little box on your station that you have painted red, should, if it is a post box, be yellow in La France.  Lovely model, unfortunately the company Gecomodelle no longer trades but they made kits for all the stock you need,  You might if very lucky find them occasionally on ebay france. Regards.

Thanks for this.  My daughter commented on the post box and said it should be yellow but the one in the article's photo is a dark colour so I presumed it was red. Perhaps it was just very dirty!

I've seen the photos of the viaduct.  Extremely impressive!

Thanks for the link, some interesting shots there.  I'm surprised that Le Mortier doesn't feature, especially as it still seems to exist.  There is also the line's main loco shed and shops still there at the back of the station, easily visible on Streetview (to make potential modelling easier?).

Looking at the photos, it's amazing how similar they are - yet they all have subtle differences.  Plain or decorative barge boards, doors and windows on different walls, 'handing', loading dock variations, double and single length offices etc. etc.

Is there anything published in English on the T de C?  I'm afraid I'm getting hooked!  I wouldn't have any major problems on translation from French (my son-in-law is French - but living in France) but it would be nice to be able to settle down with a book and read up on it all.

I should say that I only know about it from that website, which I found after reading another RMWeb thread!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70396-chemins-de-fer-départementaux-de-la-haute-vienne/

Post Boxes where blue before they were yellow in France 

There is a site in English with photos of the various types 

http://www.frenchpostboxes.co.uk/

Tom

Thanks again for this info. and link.  It seems there were shades of green, shades of blue and yellow!

But Red - non!  Trust the French to be different.

Perhaps I'll repaint it blue.

Just to be a bit out of the ordinary and to make people say - 'It's the wrong colour!'

Don't bring her to TVNAM - I want to get home again in one piece!

So do I!!!

If it arrives by then (which it should!) then I'll bring it with me.

The book that is :mosking:

Well, the book arrived safely on Saturday morning and it is excellent.  Plenty of photos, both B&W and colour from several periods but mostly of fan trips on the line in 1958 and '59.  Lots of details and inspiration.  Drawing and plans of stock and buildings as well plus some photos of models in various scales.  There is some text which is relatively easy to translate and plenty of photo captions ditto.

And a super colour photo of Le Mortier.

With a GREEN post box!

Good job I've not repainted it yet!

• 2 months later...

Hi, this is my first post here so be gentle. I remember building this model from this artical as a child back in the sixties (probably very badly). Le Mortier fascinated me then and still does. I wouldn't want to infringe any copyrights but would love to get my hands on a scan of the original artical for old-times sake and a possible project.

Andy

Paul - there is an article in issue #113 of Model Trains International, by Giles Barnabe (an internet friend, who posts on the Model Trains Interactive forum) about an imaginary French Tramway - St Christoly-Medoc, set in a real area - which may suit your purposes (not that I'm encouraging you, of course!) there is a photo of a small station/shelter/tramstop akin to Le Mortier-Gumond

Best

Jack

PS FOR ANDY - there are currently 3 copies of the March 1959 Model Railway News on ebay. uk

FOR ANDY - there are currently 3 copies of the March 1959 Model Railway News on ebay. uk

Thanks :) I never tgought yo look on eBay. Have just bagged a copy on buy-it-know for a real bit of nostalgia. We must have just had an odd copy of MRN as I really only recall having copies of RM.

I had a look at Le Mortier on Google Street View. It is sad to see what has happened to the old station but good to see that it is still standing. I always imagined it being in a forest not in the middle of a village.

Thanks again.

Paul - there is an article in issue #113 of Model Trains International, by Giles Barnabe (an internet friend, who posts on the Model Trains Interactive forum) about an imaginary French Tramway - St Christoly-Medoc, set in a real area - which may suit your purposes (not that I'm encouraging you, of course!) there is a photo of a small station/shelter/tramstop akin to Le Mortier-Gumond

Best

Jack

PS FOR ANDY - there are currently 3 copies of the March 1959 Model Railway News on ebay. uk

Thanks Jack, I'll see if it is in the club library.

Archived