Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby Magazine Issue 85 July 2014

pauliebanger

post-9747-0-84507500-1403004587_thumb.jpg

post-9747-0-36054500-1403004747_thumb.jpg

HM85 – July 2014 - Contents

7              Editorial–Prices are back in focus following recent changes at Bachmann. Mike Wild casts his views on the subject.

8              Update –A first glimpse of Hornby’s new ‘OO’ gauge ‘K1’ and LNER CCT van, new products unveiled from DCC Concepts, price rises from Bachmann and more.

16           Whitby West Cliff– Brad Seaman’s stunning 40ft ‘OO’ gaugeslice of this long-lost former North Eastern Railway near Whitby.

28           Detailing Hornby’s ‘Black Five’ – Tim Shackleton shows that with a few deft changes and extra details, this ‘OO’ gauge stalwart can look even better.

36           Nuclear Flask Barrier Wagons – Closely following prototype practice, Tim Shackleton converts a pair of ‘OO’ gauge HEA coal hoppers into RNA barrier wagons.

42           Garstang and Knott End Railway –Evan Green-Hughes presents a prototypical line that can be modelled in ‘OO’ without compromise in just 16ft x 8ft.

44           Back to Basics – In the final part of his three-part series, Nigel Burkin shows how to create an incredible variety of trees using fine wire.

48           Hornby Post–Reader observations and opinions from the Hornby Magazine mailbag.

50           Manston Airport– Andy Hopper created this magnificent aviation-themed finescale ‘OO’ gauge layout to showcase his SECR rolling stock. Here’s how…

60           Laser Cut Footbridge – Mike Wild tackles one of the latest laser-cut wood kits from Ancorton Models, with superb results.

62           Train Formations–This month, Mark Chivers turns his attention to branch line goods trains, and presents a selection of formations using readily available ‘OO’ gauge ready-to-run products.

70           Reviews– Another bumper batch of new models including Bachmann’s new ‘OO’ gauge Class 101 DMU and LMS ‘Porthole’ carriages, a Doncaster-built Class 56 in ‘N’ from Dapol and an original Class 26 from Heljan in ‘OO’, plus much more.

74           Reality Check–Evan Green-Hughes remembers the Met-Cam Class 101 DMU, a design which enjoyed a service life of almost half a century.

90            Digital Sound– Paul Chetter explains how typical speakers work and how to get the best out of them with simple tips and techniques.

96           Talybont –Edinburgh and Lothians Model Railway Club may seem like a strange home for a Welsh narrow gauge railway layout but, as Mike Bisset reveals, it’s perfectly at home and as popular as ever.

104         Staff Projects– Mike Wild reveals a change in direction for Twelve Trees Junction’s fiddleyards, while Mark Chivers dusts down Bolsover and Seven Lane Pits ready for its trip to the Great Central Railway Giant Model Event on June 20-22.

108         Railway Realism –Evan Green-Hughes looks at the 1930s desire to streamline locomotive designs, creating some incredible eye-catching examples in the process.

112         Show Guide –Hornby Magazine’s comprehensive guide to forthcoming events.

• RMweb Gold

I hope the aircraft was not 'shopped into the sky on the Manston Airport article - others have run shy of such things in other publications ;)

post-6717-0-25616100-1403006694_thumb.jpg

Josh's first Airfix kit that Andy Y thought about suspending from the light fitting over the layout during the shoot

Not a bad issue, but as it was banded for the supplements I couldn't have a browse but still bought it for the RNA article.

I do have one niggle though, where was the Salmon article by Nigel Burkin that was promissed in the previous issue on the Borail? That was going to be my main reason for buying this issue as I currently have some Salmon under construction myself.

Archived