ROSAMUND STREET (LOW LEVEL) SIDINGS

br2975

First - "The Fiction"

As a trainspotter in the late 60s and early 70s the ultimate aim was always to 'clear B.R.'

But, sitting in a BRUTE at Cardiff General logging Westerns and Brushes would never achieve such an ambition.

"If you want to clear BR, you need to get the shunters" extolled my spotting mentor, Doug.

So, instead of undertaking lone wolf shed bashes to Birmingham (for Bescot & Saltley) or Manchester (for Longsight, Newton Heath & Reddish) I joined a local railway society that ran weekend coach trips to such out of the way places as King's Lynn, Westhouses, Northwich and Frodingham.

A browse through my 1971 and 1972 locoshed books would show my Brushes (now Cl.47) and "H-Bombs" (now Cl.20) looking decidedly healthy ................ but those shunters, the lack of lines under their numbers stood out like a sore thumb.

The only way to track the shunters down would be to find out where they worked, and where they stabled at weekends - all this in the days before the indespensible  "Shunter Duties" was an idea, yet a publication.

Shunters could spend weeks away from their home depot, and they could work many miles from that depot e.g. a Canton shunter would be outbased at Aberdare (only 25 miles) whereas a Landore shunter could be at Carmarthen, Whitland or worse,F ishguard Harbour !

Those shunters not under repair on shed, or working as shed, yard  or station pilots lurked in dingy urban environments, small yards or sidings hidden away amongst engineering works, factories and depressing streets where access was impossible unless you were either 'in the know' or had special forces training.

Such a place was Rosamund Street, actually Rosamund Street (Low Level) Sidings.

By the turn of the 1970s this industrialised inner-city yard was but a shadow of its former self, ( a group of sidings serving local industries and businesses ) on a freight only branch that left the mainline at Riverside Junc. a mile or two away and which, via Rosamund Street (Low Level) eventually served several riverside yards and industries further along the line from Rosamund Street.

The Rosamund Street pilot job was withdrawn a year or so ago, and the branch was tripped 'as and when required' by the Riverside Junc. pilot.

But recently NCL (National Carriers Ltd.) have had their eyes on at least part of Rosamund Street (Low Level).

To be continued ...................... with Rosamund St. - The Fact.

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 12

C'mon, i'm turning blue here holding my breath for the t"Fact"

unable to post updates and photos at the moment due to deficiencies in my Spanish internet connection. Updates etc from next Monday / Tuesday.

Brian R

Now I know what Santa brought you last year, so I'm expecting to see plenty of pictures of shock wagons, vans, a host of Hornby and Bachmann 08s, all vacuum braked........... But I must say that Air braked stock is photogenic too........ Will you crack?

.................First - "The Fiction"

As a trainspotter in the late 60s and early 70s the ultimate aim was always to 'clear B.R.'

But, sitting in a BRUTE at Preston longing for Westerns......................

Class post - seems we wanted similar things in a similar time :)

Ian.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

C'mon Rolley Old Boy. What gives...Just noted about six weeks before 1st exhibition....

Flat out is it?

GS.

Edited by nhy581

• 2 weeks later...

Just spent an enjoyable few hours in bampi's shed, from where I am able to report excellent progress has been made on the Low level sidings.

Please feel free to comment on the attached pictures, the layout is to appear at the Cardiff show next month and work is now on going at a pace, the shunter stock is away having an exam but is due to return in the near future suitably weathered and work stained.

post-9901-0-05075800-1411420927_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-87419800-1411420957_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-62290500-1411421047_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-02917000-1411421066_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-19382800-1411421142_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-47479900-1411421168_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-35928000-1411421186_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-32183300-1411421199_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-26954000-1411421212_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Rosamund Street (Low Level) Sidings - The practice.

Now that my 'sprog' ( aka naturol) has let the cat out of the bag with his photos I suppose a few further words are necessary.

Rosamund Street (Low Level) Sidings to give her her full title is intended to represent the sort of backstreet yard that  could once be found in almost any industrial town across the country.

It's where one of the shunters 'you needed' may well be lurking.

It's the sort of place where you trod in fear - in fear of the locals, in fear of the pollution, in fear of breaking your neck on loose cobbles or setts.

The sort of place that was so sh!tty it made the pages of Colin Gifford's  "Each a glimpse" look like a holiday brochure !

That's a recap of the introduction above.

Now, the practice.

Until about a year ago, I occupied a 5'0" square outhouse ( formerly it was literally  'y ty bach' - probably lost if you aren't Welsh ) that passed for my library and modelling room, and Rosamund Street (Low Level) Sidings was designed to fit, on a shelf, in that outhouse.

Then, 'naturol' built me a new garden shed (all 18'0" x 9'0" of it ) into which my eventual 4mm magnum opus, known as 'Twll Cach' would eventually be built.

Rosamund St. was evicted from the outhouse ( which was converted back to  ' y ty bach' ) and became a foster home for all manner of insects that dwell in my garage and which would no doubt form a decent meal for Bear Grylls........

Then certain members of the Cardiff Show committee bullied me into providing something for this years show, with but a few months notice.

So, Rosamund Street was extracted from beneath a broken Flymo, rusted barbeque and broken patio table - dusted down ( the resident insects re-housed ) and reassessed to identify what work was required and whether the paying public should be exposed to such sights.

The concept is - a glorified Inglenook.

Why ?

Every railway modeller this end of the Silk Road knows about the Inglenook shunting puzzle - which, contrary to popular myth traces its origins back to the well known MMRS member 'Robbo' Ormiston-Chant and featured in a  mid-1960s Railway Modeller. The concept was later advanced by Alan Wright, christened 'Inglenook Sidings'  and featured in Model Railways. 

However, most examples I have seen are too twee for my liking, generally taking advantage of the minimum space required but employing a handful of mismatched wagons all set in a green field site, improbably shunted by a Peak or 8F.

I am one of these who, finds shunting (or switching) layouts a turn off, when they have an 'industry' for each wagon, and that wagon dwarfs the industry - in my eyes, some such layouts, would be served by perhaps one pick-up train a day, or more likely 'as and when required' and would be better portrayed if the 'sidings' served but one industry - or better still, a goods yard or similar with minimal freight handling facilities, just the sidings and where almost continuous shunting/marshalling could be justified. 

Similarly, I wanted the Inglenook puzzle, but I wanted it to blend into a setting where I hoped it would look plausible.

Here is the plan, together with an additional, 'edited' plan showing which sidings form the actual Inglenook puzzle.

More soon, if anyone's interested ?.

Brian R

post-1599-0-61941700-1411425793_thumb.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 13

Rosamund Street (Low Level) Sidings - proposed operation.

I've posted the plan again, for the benefit of readers, and to show (i) the complete layout, and (ii) the area that forms the Inglenook shunting puzzle.

Most readers will be aware of the basics of the Inglenook shunting puzzle principle, but for those who are not, briefly..........

(a) - Three sidings fed from a headshunt by two points.

( B) - One siding to be the 'mainline'  accomodates 5x SLU (Standard Length Units i.e. 21'0" a 12 ton van)  

N.B. -  in the case of Rosamund St. the 'mainline' is referred to as the 'exchange road'

© - Two sidings each capable of holding 3x SLU.

N.B. - in the case of Rosamund St. the two sidings are referred to as No.1 Road & No.3 Road.

(d) - The headshunt can hold the shunting loco and 3x SLU

N.B. - in the case of Rosamund St. the headshunt includes the left hand 3-way point, but can accomodate a Peak (Cl.45/46) and 3x SLU.

(e) - The shunting puzzle employs one loco and 8 wagons.

(f) -  The wagons are spotted randomly about the sidings and mainline. 

(g) - Each wagon is allocated a card, the cards are shuffled and five cards dealt.

(h) - The wagons to which each dealt card refers is to be shunted into the 'mainline' ('exchange road' on Rosamund St.) in the order they were dealt from the 'pack'.      

(i) - The game is over once the five wagons are made up into a train on the 'mainline' ( or exchange road).

Diligent viewers will realise that Rosamund St. contains two extra roads at the front of the layout together with a sector plate which accesses the additional roads and the 'exchange road'.

This is solely to increase any operational potential or boost the apparent business (shunting) carried on at the yard.   

In addition the design is such that instead of short sidings ending in buffer stops, an overbridge conceals the ends of the sidings in order to create an impression that the yard could be larger than it is, and therefore busier.

No.2 Road is but a short stub ended siding that appears from beneath the scenic break overbridge and upon which a wagon or two stand against the blocks, intended, as above, to create an impression that the yard is busier than it really is.

At the opposite end of the layout (left hand end, as viewed) two lines disappear under an industrial building, to give the impression that the railway serves other customers further along a branchline - the front siding contains a stationary box van which obscures the view into the abyss (and the consequent dead end).

So, that's the idea behind Rosamund Street.

The attached photo was taken a few weeks back.

Please feel free to comment.

Brian R

post-1599-0-56873500-1411471510.jpg

post-1599-0-98062000-1411482734_thumb.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Nicely done Squire. Coming together very well. Looking forward to seeing this in the flesh......er.....grain...

Impressed of Rumney.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Having popped into the Cardiff show on both days, I can safely say that Rosamund St looks and runs great. Really nice job all round.

Well done Brian.

At the recent Cardiff Show, and since, a number of members have asked about the buildings that form the backdrop to Rosamund Street (Low Level) Sidings.

Initially I wanted a large engineering premises, and actually mocked up a building in foam board, with a row of gable ends facing the viewer - but I was dissatisfied as the structure was to repetitive and was too modern for my early 1970s setting/era.

So a drastic rethink took place - yes I wanted something different.

So, the most prominent building is based upon a plan that appeared many years ago, during the early 1960s, in the Railway Modeller.

The drawing was by Don Townsley of Hunslet Engine Co. and Lees MRC fame and the building formed part of a low relief backdrop on the then Leeds MRC 7mm layout.

Many years later, a sketch of the same building appeared in one of the early issues of MRJ, and it appears the original structures may have been in the northern suburbs of Birmingham.

I was struck my the different angles and roof lines.

In addition, the buildings were to form a low-relief backscene, and not be 'foreground models' - so they would not be super-detailed.

The 'Leeds' building,as were the others, is formed of a Letraset mount board carcass, glued together with PVA, the joints being held in place with spots of hot glue as the PVA set.

The carcasses were then clad with Slater's brick embossed plasticard, and detailed using windows from a variety of manufacturers e.g. Peco, Airfix, Dornoplas .... all lying in the depths of my scrapbox.

So, here are a few shots of the carcass before detailing commenced.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free - that's the idea behind RMWeb.

More later - if anyone's interested.

Brian R

post-1599-0-51109500-1413832254_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-10250200-1413832264_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-23373500-1413832275_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Having built the carcasses I tried them in position on the layout, and found they were too low for my liking.

Wondering what to do, I retired briefly to the gentleman's reading room downstairs, only to emerge flushed with inspiration ! - "raise the low relief backdrop buildings on Wills brick arches, that will allow bridges to form scenic breaks at each end of the layout as well.

The following weekend a raiding party left both Messrs Lendon's and Lord & Butler having stripped their displays of Wills brick arches, and some extra brickwork sheets.

Now, to raise the building to the height of the arches .......................

My brother ( naturol ) is not the only scavenging modeller in the family, and walking to work through Bute Park one day I noticed someone had torn down signs that had advertised the annual 5th. November celebrations (no, not 'V' for Vendatta !) and thrown them to one side.

Made from a funny sort of plastic that when cut resembled a bar of nougat, they were both large enough, and thick enough to raise the ground level some 80mm and support the proposed buildings.

An attempt to make up a row of Wills arches hit problems - I don't know what 'plastic' Messrs Wills use, but it is very brittle and prone to fracture - another trip to Lord & Butler followed, and a hope they had restocked.

The arches were built, and installed against the raised ground .............. the Wills brick parapet walls were put to one side for later.

Attention returned to the buildings, especially the 'Leeds MRC' factory building which was clad with Slaters embossed brick sheet, why ?

The sheets are larger than Wills.

They are more forgiving, and can curve to the imperfections in the card crcasses

It works out cheaper - especially as the Wills sheets still fractured.

The 'Leeds MRC' factory was then plonked atop the arches, with a lip to hold the front wall over the top of the arches.

That brings us to todays three photos..........

More soon.

Brian R

post-1599-0-68228400-1413903611_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-34798200-1413903622_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-92913800-1413903634_thumb.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Like the look of the buildings, helped considerably by the different heights and angles.

I've also found that the Wills sheets are very brittle. Recently been using their flexible sheets (designed for curving under bridges etc) and work well. I used these on Acacia Avenue. However, being small sheets, getting the joints neat is tricky. I've also found that the Slaters sheets, although larger, have problems with the brick courses I.e. not straight and true.

Enjoying reading your processes as well.

• Like 1

I've also found that the Slaters sheets, although larger, have problems with the brick courses I.e. not straight and true.

I've also had this problem, but luckily, not on every sheet.

Sometimes the brick courses being out of square is apparent to the eye, other times it's only when marking out and cutting that it becomes apparent.

Difficult to conceal around door and window reveals, but at corners the discrepancy can be hidden by downpipes etc.

The difference in relief between the Wills and Slaters brickwork can be apparent when viewed at close quarters.

The larger windows in the 'Leeds MRC' factory are made from those that came with a Dapol nee' Airfix engine shed kit and which have languished in my scrapbox for many years.

Others came from the Peco detailing kits (the ones cast in bright green).

Downpipes are from 0.060" rod and the snowboxes are styrene with an 0.060" hole drilled in the base to accomodate the downpipe.

Due to time constraints I was unable to make and fit any guttering (shooting or chuting, depending where you live).

The vertical vents on the gable end were from the Walthers range and were finished in Humbrol gunmetal.

Similarly the two vents visible behind the one wall came from a different Walthers pack, again finished in gunmetal..

Other smaller diameter pipework / conduit has been formed from wire.

More when I return from visiting my Uncle Sam !!

Brian

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

My latest edition of the Railway Observer (July 1971) says that with the introduction of the new WTT on 3rd. May the pilot based at Rosamund Street has been withdrawn.

The branch is now served by a local trip working 9E76 which is 'two shift' diagram on weekdays and only a morning shift on Saturdays.

Based at Riverside Junction, 9E76 serves Rosamund Street and the branch twice a day (once on Saturdays) together with the BSC Baldwins Works, Homer St. coal yard, a lunchtime trip to Quarry Junction yard and back together with and evening shunt at Eldon Street sidings and milk depot.

Through a contact I have managed to get a copy of the current WTT (3rd. May 1971 - 30th April, 1972) and this afternoon, after work, wandered down to Rosamund Street.

Imagine my surprise to find Canton's 4176 (newly arrived from Ebbw Junction via an overhaul at Swindon where it was also fitted with air brakes) .

Unfortunately, there was no traffic on offer, and the pilot was burbling away to itself, the crew returning from the direction of The Bird in Hand just before departure time for the shunt at Homer St. coal yard.

I managed to bag one shot from under the high level station, using the Kodak Instamatic my mother bought me last Christmas, currently loaded with Kodak slide film (you can tell I've got a holiday job).

If anyone else is interested in catching 9E76 on its' daily perambulations I could post the trip times from my WTT - just let me know.

Brian R

post-1599-0-55089200-1444247906_thumb.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 8