Hornby class 56 ex sound chassis

JCClark

Good evening all,

Recently purchased an ex sound fitted Hornby class 56 chassis to fit a spare body I had.

I intended fitting a 21 pin Hornby Sapphire decoder but found the 21 pins on locomotive PCB are not orientated as per normal.

The only way to install the decoder is upside down but then, of course, lights do not work although loco will run forward and reverse.

Has anyone come across this before? Would really appreciate any advice please.

John

Good evening all,

Recently purchased an ex sound fitted Hornby class 56 chassis to fit a spare body I had.

I intended fitting a 21 pin Hornby Sapphire decoder but found the 21 pins on locomotive PCB are not orientated as per normal.

The only way to install the decoder is upside down but then, of course, lights do not work although loco will run forward and reverse.

Has anyone come across this before? Would really appreciate any advice please.

John

Hi John

The Hornby sound fitted 56 came with a Loksound 21pin decoder, and unusually it is fitted as standard "up side" down compared to normal. AFAIK only Hornby fit them this way round.  However this may not be why the lights don't work with the Sapphire, if your using a NON sound Hornby 56 body on a sound fitted chassis, the wiring and Led's are wired differently, the non sound body/chassis has negative common wiring, whereas the factory fitted sound models have positive common wiring etc hence the miss-match. The LED's on the body may have blown when fitted to the chassis, but you can check to see if they still work with a suitable power source or 9v batt using an 1K inline resistor.

Hornby did not make it easy at all to swap over bodies/chassis from sound to non-sound etc

HTH

Ken

Hi Ken

Many thanks for the information and think I will hang on until my friend gets round to my place again as he is far more into electronics than I am!

I actually ran hard wires between the body and chassis contacts as you get a few problems when replacing bodies to get the lights all working properly as you are probably aware!

I have about 16 class 56 locos and they are a brilliant model but do have their annoying idiosyncrasies don't they?

Thanks once again and will attempt the test you suggested.

Regards

John

Hi John

The Hornby sound fitted 56 came with a Loksound 21pin decoder, and unusually it is fitted as standard "up side" down compared to normal. AFAIK only Hornby fit them this way round.  However this may not be why the lights don't work with the Sapphire, if your using a NON sound Hornby 56 body on a sound fitted chassis, the wiring and Led's are wired differently, the non sound body/chassis has negative common wiring, whereas the factory fitted sound models have positive common wiring etc hence the miss-match. The LED's on the body may have blown when fitted to the chassis, but you can check to see if they still work with a suitable power source or 9v batt using an 1K inline resistor.

Hornby did not make it easy at all to swap over bodies/chassis from sound to non-sound etc

HTH

Ken

I think Hornby do this with all their sound-fitted models, don't they? I'm pretty sure the 50 at least is as you describe above.

It would be easier for all concerned if they would do like Bachmann and go over to 21-pin on everything as they update the models.

I think Hornby do this with all their sound-fitted models, don't they? I'm pretty sure the 50 at least is as you describe above.

It would be easier for all concerned if they would do like Bachmann and go over to 21-pin on everything as they update the models.

Hornby sound fitted 08 / 56 / 60 models all have this "upside-down" fitting of the 21pin Loksound decoder, possibly ?  the 31/ 50 also ?

Archived