Melton Mowbray Pet food wagons

18B

What scale are you modelling in? I don't know of any model of the Charter-Rail piggyback wagon, but there were also workings that used two 30' tilt containers on a 60' flat. In 4mm, the Tiphook KFAs would serve for the wagons, but you would have difficulty sourcing the boxes. There was also some traffic in imported tins, carried in Tiphook or Cargowaggon bogie vans, and sometimes imported offal in Interfrigo wagons. There might have been also inbound container traffic (in a variety of CNC boxes), but unfortunately they couldn't travel beyond Dover by rail, due to loading gauge restrictions.

The container traffic was loaded by an overhead crane, curiously located  on the Up Goods Loop, whilst the other traffic was dealt with in the goods yard.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

What scale are you modelling in? I don't know of any model of the Charter-Rail piggyback wagon, but there were also workings that used two 30' tilt containers on a 60' flat. In 4mm, the Tiphook KFAs would serve for the wagons, but you would have difficulty sourcing the boxes. There was also some traffic in imported tins, carried in Tiphook or Cargowaggon bogie vans, and sometimes imported offal in Interfrigo wagons. There might have been also inbound container traffic (in a variety of CNC boxes), but unfortunately they couldn't travel beyond Dover by rail, due to loading gauge restrictions.

The container traffic was loaded by an overhead crane, curiously located  on the Up Goods Loop, whilst the other traffic was dealt with in the goods yard.

Do you know what the flat wagons were exactly? Were they just standard KFA's? I am also struggling to find any good photo's of the curtain sided containers if you or anyone knows of any?

I am planning a model of Melton in N during 1992, I have somebody already working on 3d printing the Charterail Piggyback wagons and trailers for me, There is a draft of a curtain container underway but is lacking vital details. If I am going to do it, I want to do it right, so if needs be I will get the flat wagons designed for printing whilst I'm at it.

Steve

Archived