Finescale Railway Modelling Review. Issue 1, Autumn 2014

Arthur

So, as requested, here is a thread devoted to the new, quarterly, modelling magazine 'Finescale Railway Modelling Review'. Published by Greystar Publications, who also publish the 'Narrow Gauge and Industrial Railway Modelling Review' hereafter, thankfully!, referred to as NGIRMR, and edited by Bob Barlow & Tim Shackleton.

Issue 1, Autumn 2014

Contents

Taming the LED

House of Shadows

The Finescale Garratt

Have Gas, Will Travel

Guerrilla Modelling

Buckingham Re-born

Finescale Archeology

Demobbed GWR 15XX in 2mm

Sundries.

Not clear on something? Then buy a copy!!

I only became aware of this magazine yesterday morning, I took out a years subscription on line, and issue 1 arrived today. Marvellous.

Anyone familiar with the NGIRMR will recognise a certain house style. Ads confined to the front and rear, a crisp, clear uncluttered layout and good photographic reproduction.

Flash it's not, but all in all a traditional and eminently readable format. An impressive, in my opinion, start.

So gents, over to you.....

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to receiving my copy.

post-6675-0-03941200-1411678774.png

For those that missed the original thread with much speculation and comment, it can be found here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/83115-new-magazine/?p=1600448

I understand that it won't be available in Smiffs - the website to order a copy or subscribe can be found here: http://www.greystarpublications.com/fsr/

I was shocked at how quickly mine arrived. I particularly liked the 15xx 2mil and the Gorilla Modelling articles but all in all there wasn't an article I didn't read. As stated elsewhere design could be a little more polished but for me the content is the important part. I have a years sub and looking forward or to being surprised by next issue.

Received my copy the day after ordering it.My impressions below;

Printed to a very high quality, the production editor is Roy Link and it shows.Presentation is unfussy with refreshingly non of the gimmicky features of the main stream modelling press.This is a magazine you read/think about and don't just look at the pretty pictures, although it has to be said the quality of the photographic images is first class throughout.

The magazine is aimed at the finescale modeller in whatever gauge they may model in.If you're into realistic modelling the magazine is aimed at you.The articles are informative and demonstrate how to do certain tasks, but they are not "dumbed down" like other periodicals I might care to mention.The attitude of the writers of the articles is, I did it this way so as to end up with a properly assembled realistic model.It is assumed that the reader is prepared to go that extra mile to achieve similar results.For accomplished finescale modellers or modellers who merely aspire to become accomplished, like myself, this is manna from heaven.The instructional articles are lengthy and comprehensive giving details of techniques and importantly where to get various bits and pieces.References/sources are also stated.

All the articles are interesting in the first issue.The three I found the most interesting/useful are;

Buckingham reborn.(who doesn't love Buckingham)

A very informative article on the Taming of the LED.I've always wondered how you use them and now I know.

The article "Have gas will travel" the making of a GWR Cordon gas tanker, on the face of it might be of no relevance to modellers of non GWR persuasion like myself,but contained several useful constructional tips.One I didn't know about was that C/L's 100 degree solder can solder brass to whitemetal without pre-tinning the brass.This is just the sort of thing I think will make this magazine so useful.

The magazine carries advertising but it is unobtrusive and the type of advertising you want to see anyway,you know the sort of advertisers that make and do useful things for "proper modelling".

In short it's a quality magazine aimed at the thinking man/woman who's into modelling.

I loved the magazine, think it presents good value for money and will be ordering another years subscription.(4 issues)

• RMweb Premium

My copy arrived in the post this morning and a very brief flick through leaves me with a very positive impression. It's more about techniques and methods so, as IainP says above, the article on the GWR gas tank is useful and informative despite me being unlikely ever to want such a wagon. I'm looking forward to reading it over the next few days.

A breath of fresh air. I doubt I'll be renewing my mainstream magazine subscription when that expires.

Well done to all involved.

Thank you to all who have given their impressions and for the tremendous feedback. I have to say I have been taken by surprise at the response to Finescale Review, not just from here but from around the world. People seem disillusioned with the mainstream press (as indeed I am) and want something that addresses them like adults and gives them useful, well-illustrated information that is helpful even when not directly relevant to what they are doing in their personal modelling world.

We will be at Scaleforum this weekend - looking forward to it - but there is a possibility that, at this rate, we may run out of the first issue sometime over the weekend. The presses are rolling with a reprint as we speak, but if any subscribers find themselves wondering why our much-vaunted speedy delivery is taking a few days longer, that's why. Please bear with me and accept my apologies for the inconvenience.

If any of you are at Scaleforum this weekend, pop by and say hello. I'm the bleary-eyed, exhausted one with the white hair. What a week!

Best regards

Bob Barlow

• RMweb Premium

we may run out of the first issue sometime over the weekend. The presses are rolling with a reprint as we speak,

Pleased to hear that Bob - I was going to wait and get one from you at the NG show at Swanley but at this rate I had better get one ordered now . . . . . . .

Mine has just fallen onto the doormat and it does strike me as an excellent amalgam of best practice from Model Railway Journal, Modelling Railways Illustrated, and other clever bits that occasionally grace the more populist magazines.

So all best wishes for the future, and with such an erudite team at the helm that is surely certain.

....The magazine is aimed at the finescale modeller in whatever gauge they may model in.If you're into realistic modelling the magazine is aimed at you.....

This reminds me that the short-lived "RailModel Digest" aimed to do something similar many years ago. Remember those who fell in battle before:

515siNvl2sL._SY300_.jpg

Let's hope FRMR lasts a good bit longer.....

There will be plenty of Finescale Reviews at Swanley (along with our bumper 100-page Narrow Gauge & Industrial issue 100, which we have just put to bed). The printer has tweezered all those little rubber letters into his John Bull set and wound up the elastic band, so I am hoping there won't be any noticeable hiccup in supply of Finescale Review, but thought it wise to sound a cautionary note. We like to fire stuff out of the door as soon as it is ordered, as many of you have noticed (even I was surprised by the 24hr order/delivery record noted above!) but I have to remind myself that Finescale Review, like NG&I, is a quarterly and a week or so at this early stage makes little difference. I realise, though, that many people - having seen the cover and read the comments - are mustard keen to get their hands on a copy. Anyway, we're on the case.

Thanks for the support and encouragement - it really is much appreciated here.

Regards

Bob Barlow

Thank you to all who have given their impressions and for the tremendous feedback. I have to say I have been taken by surprise at the response to Finescale Review, not just from here but from around the world. People seem disillusioned with the mainstream press (as indeed I am) and want something that addresses them like adults and gives them useful, well-illustrated information that is helpful even when not directly relevant to what they are doing in their personal modelling world.

I've read all I need to know & can't wait for it to appear at a stockist. I've ordered the first issue, my only concern now to see if postie can get it through my letterbox intact!

Took out a subscription (hang the expense!) yesterday lunch time and arrived home from work to find my copy waiting for me.

From an initial look through, I have to echo the comments already made. Looks great and well done to all involved, just got to decide which article to read first....

Wishing the FRMW every success!

Cheers,

Andrew

• RMweb Gold

mine arrived very promptly and looks impressive although not read it yet. One quick comment about the plain white paper envelope. This was badly torn (luckily there was no damage to the mag) and experience with paper envelopes is that rain damage occurs to contents too, so please consider plastic protective envelopes instead for the future.

• RMweb Premium

For once there was a pile of good thngs on the doormat when I came home from work and this new magazine topped the lot.

I've only flicked through as yet and I will be saving a read for when I have some time to myself but I was immediately drawn to the photgraphy articles as this is why I have come back to the hobby. 

The whole product exudes quality and is the antitheses  of the 'tablod tat' that the mainstream is in danger of becoming. My current modelling subcription is looking to be on very dodgy ground.

Well done to all involved!

Trevor.

• RMweb Premium

My copy arrived within 24 hours of subscribing; not had a chance to read it in depth but I am impressed; quality articles and not in the least bit elitist, just quality journalism. I am very glad I chose a years subs rather than a solo issue, and will continue to subscribe.

Well done.

I will be going to Tennents next week so, unless anyone beats me to it, I will report on availability of the mag there. ;)

Impatience got the better of me & I ordered #1. I'll assess condition upon arrival (small letterbox) before considering a subscription, therefore I might still be relying on John for supplies!

mine arrived very promptly and looks impressive although not read it yet. One quick comment about the plain white paper envelope. This was badly torn (luckily there was no damage to the mag) and experience with paper envelopes is that rain damage occurs to contents too, so please consider plastic protective envelopes instead for the future.

Bob has already answered this one in the other thread (link here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/83115-new-magazine/page-13&do=findComment&comment=1602475 ). Future issues will be mailed out in plastic wrappers

Andy (another very satisfied subscriber)

Well, I have lashed out on the 40GBP for the overseas subscription and eagerly await the arrival of my copy. I am already a subscriber to Narrow Gauge and Industrial so I have no doubts as to the quality. For the first time in many, many years I now subscribe to 4 magazines. These two and MRJ and GWRJ. All have common traits. They talk like adults  and they do not look like the latest edition of Cosmopolitan or Who Weekly.

Craig W

Corrected as per Davids remark below, maybe I was thinking of giving Bob a donation!

Well, I have lashed out on the 60GBP for the overseas subscription and eagerly await the arrival of my copy. I am already a subscriber to Narrow Gauge and Industrial so I have no doubts as to the quality. For the first time in many, many years I now subscribe to 4 magazines. These two and MRJ and GWRJ. All have common traits. They talk like adults  and they do not look like the latest edition of Cosmopolitan or Who Weekly.

Craig W

Erm, you may have overdone it Craig, I only (?) paid 40 quid for my overseas sub. That said it looks like a good mag and worth getting in on the ground floor. Messrs Barlow and Shackelton have good form based on their previous work.

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Gold

Ordered a subscription 17:00 on Thursday, was delivered by the postman this morning - exemplary service, especially as the publishers must have been getting ready to go to Scaleforum yesterday! Thank you very much.

Time for a nice cup  of tea, a biscuit and a good read...

Best Regards,

ZG.

Archived