Cheap & Cheerful Cambrian Railways Composite Coach

Introduction

A few months ago, I completed a model of an ex-Cambrian Railways 73-class 0-6-0 http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88895-gwr-ex-cambrian-railways-73-class-0-6-0/.

When I reviewed my stock of potential passenger coaches that might be suitable to run with it on my terminus-to-fiddleyard layout  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/83929-gennigael-a-fictional-mid-wales-branch-terminus/, I realised that I had no bogie ex-Cambrian coaches to mix with 4-wheelers (Ratio) and GWR C10s (kitbashed Tri-ang). Photos in C.C.Green “Cambrian Railways -2” (Ian Allan, 1981) seem to show that such stock was very mixed in the 1930s. Such images give only glimpses of the details needed for accurate models, but were sufficient to suggest how I could assemble a bogie composite.

Page 29 has two compos, nos. 6324 and 6282. I chose make a model resembling 6282, but with the American-style bogies seen under 6324.

Components used (all taken from existing stock)

• Tri-ang clerestory second (R332) (very battered, second-hand)
  • Central Valley H0 passenger bogies (fully working, sprung)
  • Hornby 12mm dia disc wheels
  • Torpedo ventilators
  • Card for roof
  • ERG coach buffers

Construction

I removed the old roof to the scrapbox and then repaired old damage to the coach ends. I also removed the old bogies and buffers.

I dismantled the H0 bogies by drilling out one of the rivets, so I could remove the 10mm dia wheels. I then reassembled them with the larger Hornby wheels, reattaching components with a 10BA screw and nut. I made up new mounting pieces from bits in my scrapbox and then test fitted the bogies to the coach body, adjusting things until the buffer height matched other GWR rolling stock. I fitted a timber spreader across one end of each bogie and then mounted a slimline tension-lock coupling.

I tested the model and had to adjust the gauge of the Hornby wheels, as 3 of the 4 axles were narrow to gauge, causing repeated derailments.

I made up a new card roof and fitted torpedo vents to it. I found that the original Tri-ang glazing helped the card to adopt the correct curvature along the coach, so I retained this in place.

I fitted the ERG buffers, then repainted the coach and applied HMRS transfers. Once all has settled, I will apply Humbrol satin clear to protect the transfers.

post-17793-0-38809100-1412661849_thumb.jpg

Reflections

The model is only an approximation of an actual Cambrian Railways coach, but it does seem to convey the right effect, when seen in a mixed set of branch-line stock.

post-17793-0-31098100-1412661844_thumb.jpg

It will be in operation on “Gennigael” with other absorbed stock at my club’s annual exhibition next month. The details are:

Saturday 9th Nov 2014:          Exhibition                    9am to 5pm

Sunday   10th Nov 2014:        Church Service           9.30am – 11am

Morning Tea:              11am

Exhibition                  12noon – 4pm

St Lukes Anglican Church

155-157 Galston Road

Hornsby Heights, NSW, Australia

Regards,

Rob

Archived