Model Rail December

dibber25

• RMweb Gold

It's illegal under competition law. I asked once at a meeting with Hornby and was advised that any such talking to competitors would bring accusations of a cartel. One of the ways duplication CAN be controlled, to a degree, is by locomotive owners 'licensing' reproductions of their locomotives. I understand that this happened recently when a manufacturer requested permission to scan a particular locomotive. However, if more than one example of a class exists (as for instance with the 'Castle' or 'Manor' classes) then a manufacturer refused a license by one owner, (because he's already licensed someone else) can simply move on to a different owner. It would thus work with the Adams Radial, but not for instance, with the 'King'.

CHRIS LEIGH

Thus it's open season,then.Healthy competition or a free-for-all and mayhem ? A timely article,then.Part of me asks,this surely can't be healthy,never mind about the other part that says I can pick and choose ?

Hi Grahame,

I have to agree with you sadly despite being a long term subscriber.  When Model Rail was first published it was a breath of fresh air and there is no doubt in my mind that it breathed new life in to the model railway press at the time.  Chris and Nigel's stewardship saw a high quality (content and production) magazine being released month after month and as a result I have every copy from issue 1 stored away in binders.

The trouble with leading the way is that others will often follow, imitate and ultimately improve on what you are doing unless you keep innovating yourself.  Other titles have raised their game significantly and relatively new comers like Hornby MAGAZINE have fantastic production qualities.  Even Railway Modeller has improved beyond all recognition and BRM seems to be going the way of Model Railroader and embracing a multi-media experience.

Since Model Rail left eMAP it seems to have stuck in a rut apart from the move to perfect binding.  The paper used is thin and gives the publication a cheap feel which does not do the contents justice.  Also, where are the innovations that Model Rail was famous for?  One day it would have been Chris etc. who would have led the way with online forum's like RMweb, multi-media, etc. etc.  Even the recent 150th anniversary edition went by without a mention.

Don't get me wrong, I still like Model Rail and I do not see me cancelling my subscription but it needs a make over IMHO.  I am sure the MR team are working very hard and in no way are these comments meant to be anything other than my personal and constructive opinion.

Kind regards

Paddy

Model Rail didn't leave EMAP. EMAP was taken over by Bauer Media - the organisation behind the magazine is broadly the same as it has always been. There has inevitably been imitation. It is, after all, the finest form of flattery! Young staff inevitably move on in order to further their careers. It should be remembered, too, that the Editor's of BRM and Hornby magazine learned their craft in and around Model Rail right here as part of our team. It is an easy thing to take the ideas that you couldn't progress at one magazine and do them at another. That's exactly how Model Rail came about. I simply did all things I wanted to do with Model Railway Constructor but couldn't do within the constraints of that organisation. As a commercial organisation we have to be able to earn money from the work we do, and we did look at forums (we even considered buying RMweb) but until there is a way to earn real money from such enterprises it is not possible to justify such investments. Innovation comes in many forms. We believe that we have the best and most innovative modellers and photographer and that such things are a core part of producing the best printed magazine. It's what we put on the paper that matters, not the paper itself, which, as I've said many times before is not something we can control.

CHRIS LEIGH

I enjoyed the banana train article, having read it I assume that my lovely cream coloured Peco SR n gauge banana vans aren't prototypical at all, they will at least require some heavy weathering.

Banana trains !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!--- Banana trains !!! -

Little tale here. Back in the late 60's (when I were a lad) British Railways had a "tip" at Ince Moss Junction, south of Wigan just across from Springs Branch, on the St Helens line. They dumped everything here, mainly spent ballast, bits of redundant signalling etc, and BANANAS, by the trainload. Bananas where imported into nearby Liverpool, and occasionally a shipment / trainload would go off - be over ripe, and was taken to be dumped at Ince Moss tip. The tip was called by many "The Banana Dump", and alongside were several "Flashes" ,colliery ponds that were full of gigantic Perch, Tench and of course Pike. We would go Pike fishing there often, though I was often rooting around looking for railway "artefacts" (along with the many rats - 4 legged ones not Class 25's !!!!!!!!!!. Other "folk" would go ratting with dogs, ferrets and a 12 bore shotgun or two !!!. Grand place it was (not).

My fishing mate had a brand new "Visionhire" (TV rentals engineer) works van, and very early one sunny summer Sunday  around 1970 off we went fishing / foraging. We parked the van & walked a way to the pond, about 5.00am. Well along comes a class 40 and train, we thought it was dumping stuff, but unbeknown to us it was on a track relaying job, and when we packed up, a new line had been placed alongside the van blocking the exit. My mate was panicking, railwaymen bent double laughing. Anyway after a hour they actually removed 2 rails and a few sleepers to let us out.

A day I will never forget - just never say "Banana Dump" to my mate - he will have a fit !!!!!!!!!!!!.

Ah well, makes a change from Hornby bashing.

Brit15

Another banana story, according to a family friend who knew someone who worked for BR, bananas often came with 'extras' . The heat from the vans not only ripened the fruit but woke up big black spiders hiding in the bunches of bananas. The workers made sure the spiders were rapidly squashed underfoot.

Day-o dee dee day-o daylight come an he wanna go home  ;)

Taking my sister in law to Stansted airport this morning we passed fairly close to the Geest banana depot at Easton Lodge near Takeley - truck served for many years.  Bananas were the last goods traffic carried on the one time Bishops Stortford to Braintree branch (Braintree to Witham still running as a passenger line of course)    The last banana train ran at the end of 1971.

Bill

Model Rail didn't leave EMAP. EMAP was taken over by Bauer Media - the organisation behind the magazine is broadly the same as it has always been. There has inevitably been imitation. It is, after all, the finest form of flattery! Young staff inevitably move on in order to further their careers. It should be remembered, too, that the Editor's of BRM and Hornby magazine learned their craft in and around Model Rail right here as part of our team. It is an easy thing to take the ideas that you couldn't progress at one magazine and do them at another. That's exactly how Model Rail came about. I simply did all things I wanted to do with Model Railway Constructor but couldn't do within the constraints of that organisation. As a commercial organisation we have to be able to earn money from the work we do, and we did look at forums (we even considered buying RMweb) but until there is a way to earn real money from such enterprises it is not possible to justify such investments. Innovation comes in many forms. We believe that we have the best and most innovative modellers and photographer and that such things are a core part of producing the best printed magazine. It's what we put on the paper that matters, not the paper itself, which, as I've said many times before is not something we can control.

CHRIS LEIGH

Hi Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to respond and for clarifying the situation regarding EMAP and Bauer Media.  There is no doubt that many people have learned much from Model Rail both inside and outside (as modellers) the publication.  People like Ben and Mike were very lucky to have you and others within the Model Rail team as mentors.

Totally understand your point about making money (well profit!) from the actions and investments that you make.  As you point out, delivering an income from social media is challenging as the core service is expected to be “free” at the point of use.  Obviously advertising space can be sold to fund such undertakings especially as “foot fall” increases.

Another challenge also is to make your social media site the “go to” place and it would seem that RMweb is heading in this direction.  Once you have a level of monopoly (which can never be relied upon as competition is always around the corner) you can seek to make better commercial use of this resource.  Don’t get me wrong, it is much easier to write this than it is to achieve so I can totally understand your caution about making such investments.

The team that creates Model Rail is very good and I still very much enjoy my copy that arrives each month.  Obviously content is critical but I would not discount presentation quite as easily as you seem to.  I have seen far too many excellent messages get lost through poor presentation.  All I am saying is that compared to your competitors the “feel” of Model Rail is not as good IMHO.  However, I take your point about being part of a larger publishing house and having to operate within these limits.  Also, if the paper is not impacting sales then it is irrelevant and only the Model Rail team know that (and I am not asking for you to divulge anything).

Model Rail is still a great magazine and I have no intention of cancelling my subscription anytime soon.  In fact, Model Rail and Hornby Magazine are the two publications I subscribe to although I do buy Railway Modeller from time to time.  Funny thing is that I do not buy BRM very often as it just does not work for me despite all the freebies.  That probably sounds very two faced of me given my comments above!  :scratchhead:

Kind regards

Paddy

Hi Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to respond and for clarifying the situation regarding EMAP and Bauer Media.  There is no doubt that many people have learned much from Model Rail both inside and outside (as modellers) the publication.  People like Ben and Mike were very lucky to have you and others within the Model Rail team as mentors.

Totally understand your point about making money (well profit!) from the actions and investments that you make.  As you point out, delivering an income from social media is challenging as the core service is expected to be “free” at the point of use.  Obviously advertising space can be sold to fund such undertakings especially as “foot fall” increases.

Another challenge also is to make your social media site the “go to” place and it would seem that RMweb is heading in this direction.  Once you have a level of monopoly (which can never be relied upon as competition is always around the corner) you can seek to make better commercial use of this resource.  Don’t get me wrong, it is much easier to write this than it is to achieve so I can totally understand your caution about making such investments.

The team that creates Model Rail is very good and I still very much enjoy my copy that arrives each month.  Obviously content is critical but I would not discount presentation quite as easily as you seem to.  I have seen far too many excellent messages get lost through poor presentation.  All I am saying is that compared to your competitors the “feel” of Model Rail is not as good IMHO.  However, I take your point about being part of a larger publishing house and having to operate within these limits.  Also, if the paper is not impacting sales then it is irrelevant and only the Model Rail team know that (and I am not asking for you to divulge anything).

Model Rail is still a great magazine and I have no intention of cancelling my subscription anytime soon.  In fact, Model Rail and Hornby Magazine are the two publications I subscribe to although I do buy Railway Modeller from time to time.  Funny thing is that I do not buy BRM very often as it just does not work for me despite all the freebies.  That probably sounds very two faced of me given my comments above!  :scratchhead:

Kind regards

Paddy

I hope I didn't 'dismiss presentation'. That certainly wasn't my intention. We spend a great deal of time on presentation - but I'm wondering if we both have the same understanding of 'presentation'. To us it means the layout of pages, the material that's included on the pages, the size and style of the illustrations and all the aspects of design and page layout that we can control and that are part of magazine craft. It is our presentation which has tended to be copied by other titles and for that reason we change it every once in a while. However, changing one's presentation is always risky as a 'new look' can put off readers who are comfortable with the old look. Also, in a conservative market, it becomes increasingly difficult to come up with new ideas that we believe readers will like.

As to the business of social media, well, I think we would have to agree to disagree about it. The feedback that we get gives us a rather different view of the relative 'value' (in cash terms) of forums such as this, particularly in light of the need for someone on the paid staff to participate. Most of my participation in RMweb is in my own time. If I was charging for it, I doubt I'd be on here nearly as often. 

CHRIS LEIGH

As to the business of social media, well, I think we would have to agree to disagree about it. The feedback that we get gives us a rather different view of the relative 'value' (in cash terms) of forums such as this, particularly in light of the need for someone on the paid staff to participate. Most of my participation in RMweb is in my own time. If I was charging for it, I doubt I'd be on here nearly as often. 

Your participation in RMweb is much appreciated especially given some of the harsh criticism of MR that pops up from time to time. I don't se how a small team such as MR could maintain a fully active engagement in forums without the day job suffering. 

Personally I pick up the magazine and read it without wasting any time thinking that the paper is a bit thinner than it once was or a bit thinner than magazine x (to me that's no more beneficial than wondering why our chocolate bars are smaller, our beer is more expensive etc.) The key is content. Inevitably there will be issues where not everything is of interest to me but I read it anyway; maybe it will teach me something or initiate an interest.

Archived