Boxchester Complete

SouthernBlue80s

Hi all

It has been a while since I have posted

After two years work on and off Boxchester is now complete

I will sometimes use it as general rail blue 1980s layout

And sometimes as a southern specific layout with 33s and 73s, as it has southern region bits on.

To recap it is a small yard, fuel point and stabling point from the rail blue 1980s era.

Time of year autumn, hence the colour of the trees (my favourite time of year)

I have not got a good camera

But will post up the best pictures

P1000790_zps80b27627.jpg

P1000784_zpsbcd14278.jpg

P1000792_zpsabcf2f60.jpg

P1000793_zpsd14598e2.jpg

P1000789_zpsdd0a6f64.jpg

P1000785_zps532be802.jpg

P1000798_zpsb61786a6.jpg

P1000813_zps411cc6d9.jpg

P1000816_zpsdfe81fe2.jpg

P1000807_zpseb248dd1.jpg

P1000832_zps948ad2c3.jpg

P1000822_zps23dd36c3.jpg

I will post up some more pictures with trains in with better light soon :)

Love it!! Very authentic autumnal colours and has a very sleepy, backwater depot feeling... reminds me of somewhere like Westhouses in the '80s: stumbled upon in the least expected of places. What did you do to make your backscene, it looks great?

Thanks for sharing!

Love it!! Very authentic autumnal colours and has a very sleepy, backwater depot feeling... reminds me of somewhere like Westhouses in the '80s: stumbled upon in the least expected of places. What did you do to make your backscene, it looks great?

Thanks for sharing!

Hi thanks :)

The backscene was my second attempt, it was bought from Guagemaster.

With sea foam trees between it and the main layout

The black wriggly thing in the grass caught my eye. Here in Australia, you would be running in the opposite direction!

Nice atmosphere. The only one very small niggle is the embankment not matching the backscene but that is a small compromise when using purchased scenes. Pushing it up against the grass will help but at least it isn't any worse than posting photos of railway stock with their wheels off the tracks!

Keep up the good work.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I am going to extend this by another 400cm

I am still in the playing around with ideas - so it a slow burn project

The boards, track and scale scenes print outs are as far as I have got with it.

Looking forward to it! This is definitely a project worth extending.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

It looks to me very much like a scruffy run down shed which is hanging on by it's fingernails just before BR declares it closed and gets flattened before getting turned into a new housing estate by developers.

Great modelling!

Sam 

Funny you sould say that Sam.

This is the small overview I wrote a couple of years back to set the scene in my head before I started on it

A southern region yard, depicted in 1982. Despite being a shadow of its former self when the line that went all the way down to the harbour closed in 1976, it still sees a bit of activity. Classes 09,33 and 73 are the usual visitors. Occasionally a class 47 makes an appearance.

Various mixed goods a little parcel traffic and some permanent way trains use the yard

The stabling/fuel point closed in 1996 post nationalisation but the yard, often with a track tamper or few permanent way wagons continued up to 2000.

The whole area became totally derelict and was turned into a housing estate in 2004. Various brown paper envelopes changed hands and quite pleasant overpriced housing of middling construction quality now occupies the site.

A few of the permanent way team work for Network rail and remember the yard well. Many of the drivers have passed away but the odd one or two are still to be found in a cab of a 66.

Archived