Oxfordrail Wagons

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium

It looks as if Oxford Diecast have now also started producing wagons....

They say they have a new level of detail has anyone seen them?

http://www.oxfordrail.com/index.html

...."The new Oxford Rail Standard RCH 12 Ton Mineral wagon boasts finely engraved body and underframe detail plus NEM couplings.

The initial 6 private owner wagons herald a new level of detail for the most discerning of model railway enthusiasts....."

Regards, Neal.

Thanks, although I don't model 4mm the Fears of Staines will be a must have purchase, we used to get our coal from them. I remember one of those super large model wagons in their window beside Staines Central station.

The models look nice, but possibly going to make the same mistake as Lionheart has in 7mm, no monkey tail to release the bottom doors.

Paul Bartlett

Guest spet0114

Bit of shock in the first paragraph - 7 plank wagon in 4mm - £99.95

The £99.95 figure refers to their model of the Adams radial. The wagons are £8.95 each.

Looks like there is an extra corner plate at the bottom of the actual corner plate - definitely not standard and shouldn't be there.  It would be a bit of a b....r to remove from a painted model as well.  The buffers look nice though and it will be interesting to see the standard of the paint and lettering.

Gerry

• RMweb Premium

The £99.95 figure refers to their model of the Adams radial. The wagons are £8.95 each.

There are some pics of 7 plank and Oxfords packaging over on MREmag.  I think Hattons are listing the Radial at £88.95.  Will be interesting to see Hornby price, any bets that after full activity based costing, price increases in China the Hornby cost will work out at £87.95?

Looks like there is an extra corner plate at the bottom of the actual corner plate - definitely not standard and shouldn't be there.  It would be a bit of a b....r to remove from a painted model as well.  The buffers look nice though and it will be interesting to see the standard of the paint and lettering.

Gerry

I wonder if that represents a repair found on a 'preserved' (in the case of RCH minerals, 'preserved' generally means patched up and rotting away...) vehicle? As a patch up for a rusted out corner plate such a repair would make sense, but likely only as a one-off... The open lever guide is something I haven't seen on an RTR model before and that is interesting.

Adam

The Oxfordrail wagons at £8.95 are cheaper than the latest Hornby private owner wagons which are £10.95 each. I wonder if the Arley Colliery wagon will be suitable for a model of the Severn Valley Railway.

In my opinion the market for private owner wagons is already flooded with offerings from Hornby, Bachmann and Wessex Wagons. What I would like to see are some company owned wagons. If Oxfordrail produced some LSWR, SR and BR wagons there would be something for the Adams Radial to pull. At present Bachmann is not producing any pre-nationalisation company owned open wagons and Hornby has one LMS wagon in the Railroad range. The Bachmann BR open wagons are more expensive than the Oxfordrail private owner wagons.

I hope that the Oxfordrail wagons will not be secured to the packaging with cross head screws like their cars. Yesterday I bought an Oxford Diecast Austin 7 Lipton van. I could not unscrew it and neither could the shop assistant at the hardware store. I managed to unscrew it after about half an hour.

Well, for those concerned about accuracy, I think Hornby PO wagons (and Dapol too) need to be considered carefully.  I have had, and seen, examples of these that are mounted on 10' underframes with lengthened bodies to suit.  I can't say that ALL Hornby (or Dapol) POs are like this, but they are still being produced.  Hatton's show pictures of stock next to a ruler, so this can be checked.   Perhaps Hornby will up their game a bit now.

John

It looks as if Oxford Diecast have now also started producing wagons....

They say they have a new level of detail has anyone seen them?

http://www.oxfordrail.com/index.html

...."The new Oxford Rail Standard RCH 12 Ton Mineral wagon boasts finely engraved body and underframe detail plus NEM couplings.

The initial 6 private owner wagons herald a new level of detail for the most discerning of model railway enthusiasts....."

Regards, Neal.

Surely they are moulded?

Kernow have announced their price for the wagons..£8.50

Good on Oxford,I was staggered to go into model shop and find Bachmann pipe wagon@20 quid.looks like Oxford can do wagons for 8.95.look similar in detail to me,infact the 7 planks have more decoration,.interesting.to see the real level of Chinese pricing, rather than the level Bachmann would prefer us to believe

It is shame that there is not a BR liveried version.

Would there be a market for an unpainted wagon?

Gordon A

Bristol

I should think so, as isn't it being generally reported that early BR and steam - diesel transition periods are the most popular modelling period. In 7mm I assisted Lionheart with photos for a heavily weathered PO in earlish BR non repainted appearance. I never saw one, they sold out before I saw one at a show. But, it is very difficult to get right as the metalwork should have been repainted when they had a General repair, on body and frame.

Paul Bartlett

PS - Corner plate, I have several NCB internal user wagons with similar modification, I agree a very late adaption

The springs are horrible!

I would buy an unpainted one. It would be a lot easier to repaint as a railway owned wagon like an LSWR or SR wagon.

I remember when Wrenn only produced private owner wagons how I had to strip down the transfers before I could repaint them in BR livery. I should think it would be more difficult to strip the markings off a new printed private owner wagon before repainting.

• RMweb Gold

I remember when Wrenn only produced private owner wagons how I had to strip down the transfers before I could repaint them in BR livery. I should think it would be more difficult to strip the markings off a new printed private owner wagon before repainting.

A more authentic solution would be to "distress" the original finish with a fibreglass brush, kill the brightness with a mucky wash, simulate the odd unpainted replacement plank and add BR markings. 

However, if they could manage a good representation of the early BR painted metal + unpainted wood "livery", I'd snap up a boxful ! 

John

Archived