Waverley47708

Looks great Calum.

Where did you get the spear fencing from?   and what was the colour exactly?....humbrol?,

I wish I had your width of layout, my scaled down Waverley is great find to operate, but your full scale one will give you hours of operating/shunting fun!

Dave

Thanks Dave as per my PM, really like your layout. The fencing is Ratio GWR Spear fencing, closest I could find to the real thing. Sprayed Halfords grey primer then an old tin of Holts Dupli-colour DK British Racing Green LBM56.

Just as the height and amount of hedging varied so does the colour of the fencing from photos of the 80s. Sometimes it can appear lighter, perhaps it would have stood out more against the hedge if I had used a lighter shade.

Have been away on holiday to Skye last week, although there have been no trains on Skye for a while, next to Pt 14 of Waverley, Skye is one of my favourite places to visit.

Next job on the railway is to paint the retaining walls and finish building the tunnel entrances. Around 1984 they seem to clean up the walls and tunnels, in photos they go from dark grimy colour to light sandy colour of a stone that seemed to be used all over the Scotland. The other job they did was modify the side of Waverley bridge, previously it had gaps in the design, these were filled in about the same time as they seemed to have cleaned up the stone. The modifications to the side of the bridge help the modeller anyway, not sure how I would have made the gaps!

Photo of 107 departing from Pt 15 shows work ongoing to Waverley Bridge in the background, walls already cleaned up! Lovely a DBSO sits in 14 raring to go to Glasgow Queen Street, a 47 in the middle road between 16 and 17 presumably waiting for the next train to arrive from Dundee and a 101 in 13 Stirling, Dunblane or the slow way to Glasgow (Central).

post-4700-0-43776700-1428593589_thumb.jpg

Anyway while I am on platforms from my memory and based on a limited number of visits, mainly on Saturdays through the day - here goes.

The not so interesting East End.....

Pt 1 HST to and from Kingscross.

Pt 2 Postal in the bays

Pt 3 as Pt 2

Pt 4, 5, and 6, I think the operations building things was built on the site of them by 85.

Pt 7, HST to and from Kingscross. (British Rail at Work ScotRail has a 47, 2 x Mk 3 sleeper and 4 x Mk 2a or z in it from Bristol), presumably it would have come up the WCML, normally this would mean arriving via the West end, so am not sure how it ended up in a bay platform on the East end, (am sure Flood can help us here!!)

Pt 8 and 9, can't remember, Motorail maybe.

The much more interesting West end!

Mound Tunnels were W X Y and Z from South to North

Pt 10 and 11, 47s mostly 47/4s on Cross County services to and from destinations via the WCML and Birmingham New Street, combining with a Glasgow portion at Carstairs. I am sure they had names in 85, but it is not until 86 the names appear in the timetable. Most originating at Waverley but with two starting further North, one from Dundee, one from Aberdeen, The Devon Scot and the Cornishman. Mk1 Buffet RMB or RBR, Mk 2 air cons, and Mk 1 Full Brake, or RBR Mk 2 air cons including a BFK in the middle of the formation. The buffet tended to be on the rear as it headed South, so as to be positioned in the middle when combined with the presumably hungry and thirsty Glaswegian after Carstairs.

Have seen photos of 26s, or pairs of 20s on these instead of or as extras with Mk 2 air cons or Mk 1s.

Most in and out of Tunnel W, the services from Dundee and Aberdeen came in on X and out on W. These two stopping at Haymarket (Pt 1) as they arrived from the North and then Haymarket (Pt 4) as they headed South after arriving and departing Waverley.

I did like these 47 hauled services. The coaches could be Blue Grey, Intercity or a mixture.

HST to and from Kingscross also used Pt 10.

Pt 12 and 13, DMUs 101s, 107s or 120s for Stirling, Dunblane, Glasgow Central, or Motherwell. In X and out via W for Pt 12, Pt 13 was one of the few platforms that had to use the same tunnel in and out as a result of the track plan, in and out of X.

Pt 14, ScotRail Express Edinburgh to Glasgow QS services, initially every half hour then every 20mins.

Almost always 477 at the front arriving at Edinburgh and the DBSO on the rear. Mostly Mk3s with a DBSO (Mk2), some were all Mk 2s and some were Mk3s but with a Mk2 air con FO in addition to the DBSO. In X and out W.

Pt 15 and 16. A bit vague here maybe DMUs Kirkcaldy and or Bathgate maybe loco hauled to Aberdeen or Inverness. 15 could only use X and 16 could only use Y.

Middle Road between 16 and 17, there was always a 27 or less often a 47 sitting ticking over waiting to take the next train to Dundee out of 17. When a Dundee service arrived, the loco in the middle road would head out into Y and then return into 17 and couple up. On leaving for Dundee the loco left behind would take up residence in the middle road. Services in via Z and out via Y.

Pt 18 101s to Cowdenbeath. Never saw it myself but seems 26s (including Railfreight versions) and Mk1s sometimes used 18 for services to Fife when there was a shortage of DMUs. In via Z and out via Y.

Pt 19, in and out via Y. HSTs from Aberdeen would come in this way but pass through into 1, before stopping at 1 and then continuing South. Northbound HSTs to Aberdeen used 19 (those terminating from the South at Waverley tended to use 1,7 or 10).

20 and 21 seemed to be used for the Commonwealth Games services from what I can remember at the time.

Got a great video once Yesterdays ScotRail filmed in 1985. almost an hour of comings and goings filmed from Pl 16, generally followed the pattern above, then at dusk 37s using 12 and 13 with Mk2 air cons - no idea what the were.

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of detailing recently.

Lima Mk2 air cons.

Before

post-4700-0-06594900-1429649480_thumb.jpg

After

post-4700-0-47621500-1429649522_thumb.jpg

Windows replaced with extreme etchings tinted and flush glazing.

No smoking and 1st class transfers added.

Red and white Intercity stripes extended round the ends.

Moulded hand rails on coach ends removed and replaced by hand made replacements.

Passengers added.

Underframes weathered Frame Dirt.

End of coach transfer added.

Couplings modified to bring the coaches a bit closer.

Window destinations signs added - The Cornishman

post-4700-0-26019100-1429651597.jpg

Nothing I could do about the couple of mm I am reliably told are missing from the model!

From what I can see Hornby and Bachmann have gone or are going for the later version of Intercity livery, it is the original which I need for 85-86 for the cross country portion trains departing and arriving at Waverley 85-86.

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 9

Very nice, great scenery too. Are the Highland cattle from Langley?

Thanks.

Pretty sure they are Langleys, as are the sheep. Around 300 years ago my family (McGregor) were in the business of loosing other people's cattle and somtimes finding them again (for a fee anyway)!

Bought a pack about 17 years ago then lost them when we moved house so bought another set. Years later I found the original set again. One set painted Orange, the other Orange then a wash of something I forget what though. Think the latter is more realistic.

They are a bit on the thin side, perhaps more 1685-86 then the rounder versions seen these days. Harburn Hamlets do a more rounded Highland Coo.

Am thinking about a backscene, the photo one's, but need think think of a way to overcome the 15inch depth they come in, think I need more behind the viaduct.

Edited by Waverley47708

Looking forward to more pictures...

Sorry no photos of trains from the weekend due to engineering works.......

post-4700-0-57826700-1430115160_thumb.jpg

post-4700-0-54543700-1430115301_thumb.jpg

and the inevitable bus replacement service, surely there was nothing worse than a bus replacement service when you were looking forward to some 47, 37, 27 or HST haulage!

post-4700-0-18331800-1430115205_thumb.jpg

Saturday's engineering works involved installing handheld controllers with switches so the the Gaugemaster DS or the handheld controllers can be used. The handhelds are great the seeing the layout from a different view whilst still having your hand on the controller. Also great for a bit of shunting and decoupling away from the reach of the main controller.

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

As a result of Springwatch not much modelling done recently.

Have rewired the 10 sets of points though. My wiring is ok but not artistic enough to be worth a photo or two. The rewiring and the installation of a 24 volt supply for the CPU has made a big difference.

• 1 month later...

Not a lot of progress recently on the layout (again).

Nevertheless recently enjoyed 2 excellent events with full size locos, one last Saturday at Carlisle where it was great to see an old friend 47712, looking spectacular in ScotRail livery. Much cleaner than 47712 on my layout.

Bo'ness diesel gala on Saturday. A really great line up of locos including Royal Oak in NSE. Two Saturdays before I was on Orkney where Royal Oak was sunk by a U Boat which managed to get through the block ships in Scapa Flow. Had been told there were no railways on Orkney, however I am pleased to say I found one.

Of course the weekend before was Perth show which seemed to go well and I got to see Diesels of the Duchy in the flesh.

Did plant/install some trees tonight after running 47712, 27004 and 26028 most of the day. The latter with her discs and water tanks is due to be renumbered to one of the few left with discs and water tanks in 1985, 26025 if my memory serves me correctly.

Photo of two types two's passing on passenger services, the 27 with Mk2 coaches and the still to be refurbished 26 with Mk1s

post-4700-0-72799900-1438037375_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 8

A bit of detailing recently.

Lima Mk2 air cons.

Before

attachicon.gifP2210110.JPG

After

attachicon.gifP3030115.JPG

Windows replaced with extreme etchings tinted and flush glazing.

No smoking and 1st class transfers added.

Red and white Intercity stripes extended round the ends.

Moulded hand rails on coach ends removed and replaced by hand made replacements.

Passengers added.

Underframes weathered Frame Dirt.

End of coach transfer added.

Couplings modified to bring the coaches a bit closer.

Window destinations signs added - The Cornishman

attachicon.gif$T2eC16R,!wsE9suwydiQBSMjSM(CzQ~~60_35.jpg

Nothing I could do about the couple of mm I am reliably told are missing from the model!

From what I can see Hornby and Bachmann have gone or are going for the later version of Intercity livery, it is the original which I need for 85-86 for the cross country portion trains departing and arriving at Waverley 85-86.

really good work but it could be improved with replacement bogies. Or failing that, chop off the tension locks and replace them with proprietary coupling units (could just be simple). That is assuming that they stay in the same formation. Other than that good.

really good work but it could be improved with replacement bogies. Or failing that, chop off the tension locks and replace them with proprietary coupling units (could just be simple). That is assuming that they stay in the same formation. Other than that good.

Thanks Matthew,

The coupling have been modified, the original couplers removed and replaced with Bachmann types screwed into the bogies.  I set them back enough to ensure the extend just beyond the buffers.  This is why the coaches on the second photo appear closer together.  I meant to rotate them 180 degrees as i think the Lima bogies are the wrong way round (bar at an angle near the middle should be the other way round).

Am toying with using the NEM housing supplied by Parkside Dundas to be able to use NEM sockets and then possibly Kadees or NEMs with the Bachmann pipe type connection.

• 3 months later...

It seems like only yesterday I was blaming Springwatch for my lack of progress, and now it is Autumnwatch.

Still too easily distracted with running trains rather than completing the layout.

Just back from Disney where I bumped into Snow White, after she spoke to the girls I managed to have a quick word!

post-4700-0-27191700-1446573423_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 5

Platforms. One thing about modelling a real location is you end up noting wee details that you were blissfully unaware of.

Between postcards, photos on the web, cab view videos I think I managed to pick up a number of details.

The strange shape of Pt 14 is perhaps the most obvious detail, with its of centre canopy. It seems to make sense of it you have to look back to a time when the West end of Waverley was a bit more symmetrical. There used to be three tracks between 14 and 15 as there was between 16 and 17. The buffer end of 14 seems to be in line with what would have been the middle road of the three. The end where the DBSO tended to sit (Mound end) was in line with the original Pt 14. No idea why it was remodelled the way it was. Am sure someone will know. What does this mean, Platform 14 is the trickiest to make and the canopy is not full width. The same remodelling partially explains the track work found in themed 80s.

The area between 16 and 17 has kept its three tracks, although there seems to have been some modifications to the Mound end of 16. Although 18/19 and 17/18 are relatively straight with a slight curve at the end of 17, 15/16 the longest and thinnest has a curve over most it length

Most of the platforms are concrete sides, however the stretch between the loco holding siding points and the ramp on 17 retains brickwork, the rest being concrete and one of them, Pt 13 has a hole in it! Only picked that one up thanks to a postcard sent by a friend.

Anyway the construction, I thought about it for a long time and in the end have gone for Palstruct I bar (approx 15mm) topped with Plasticard. Thought this was more likely to result in level platforms than me cutting strips out of plasticard to form the sides! Was glad to see that Waverley platforms sides were similar to Platruct I bar!

Platform are surprisingly lower than most people (myself included) imagine. They are level with the bottom of a buffer on 47 at Waverley, and low enough to see the white piping on the side of the 47/7s. The I bar I planned to use with the plasticard on top was spot on, however I ended up using a very thin piece of palsticard as the base so I could stick the I bar to it and then put the tops (to be removable) on top. This makes them about 1/4 mm too high but when viewed from above it looks fine. The angle it is viewed a emphasises the height of the loco to the platform. I wanted to be able to remove the tops to keep the canopies safe and install signals etc at a alter date. And depending on how they look I may redo them at a later stage if required. It being a lot easier to change tops than the whole things.

The good news is that one platform had vertical struts every 4/5 foot, thankfully this is on a North facing platform and can't be seen from the South facing view. 17 has got cables hanging on the underside of the platform, this along with the brick section is a must for 17.

I have made the most of the straightest 19,18,17 and 12 and so far so good, having real problems with 14. I have tried the old pencil strapped to a coach trick but it does not seem to give you a close enough line. It is important that the gap is not too big. As always it has to be a Mk3 for testing clearances. It is easier to cut the thinner (base) plasticard especially for curved sections than the top, but am finding by doing the base fist and use that as a template it is coming on OK.

Plan at the moment is to scribe the tops to create the slabs along the edge, another good reason for doing removable tops, if it does not work I can redo them.

First photo is of 19/18. I was not sure how long to make the ramp, after scanning loads of photos of Waverley on the web, I found one of a 101 adjacent to the ramp on 11/12 and noted when the second wheel on the leading bogie was in line with the end of the ramp, the top of the ramp was in line with a vent just to the front of the Guards section, 8cm looks right to me anyway!

post-4700-0-67390600-1447103260_thumb.jpg

Next photos show the construction of 11/12 and the progress so far including the not so good 14.

post-4700-0-55118200-1447103292_thumb.jpg

post-4700-0-32880300-1447103311_thumb.jpg

post-4700-0-03959800-1447103331_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 5

Platforms part 2.

I have completed the platforms today, with 13/14 being redone. I am much happier with the shape.

When it stops raining, ever faithful Halfords grey primer to be used on them.

The eagle eyed will note the green Hornby platform canopies in piles. These are to form part of the scratch built platform shelters on 4 of the 5 platforms.

Line up is typical mid 80s at Waverley, from the top in Pl 19 the Talisman awaiting to depart to Aberdeen with a mixed liveries HST. A 101 in Pl 18 for Cowdenbeath. A 27 awaits the next arrival from Dundee in the middle road between Pl 16 and 17 and a DBSO awaiting to depart for Glasgow Queen Street in Pl 14. Could be St Andrew, St Mungo, St Cuthbert, Waverley, Sir Walter Scott, Greyfriars Bobby, Lady Diana Spencer or Grampian Region at the other end.

post-4700-0-55905500-1447684918_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Some more progress, the platforms sides are now painted, a light grey weathered concrete mixed with a touch of light brown.  Some weathering using washes of dirty black still to be applied.  The partially bricked Pl 17 complete with frame dirt/sleeper grime bricks has been fitted.

Platform tops sprayed (most of them until I ran out) and now starting to scribe the edges using a compass set at 2ft run along the outside edge. The slabs will then be painted individually, each slightly different shades of grey.

A canopy I made a few years ago has been put in place to check heights.

Other than the 107 heading to Glasgow Central not a lot of change in the trains occupying Waverley one sunny day in 1985/6 since my last post.  

The number of buses on the bridge has increased though with me buying another Edinburgh Heritage Tours and a fourth Lothian Regional Transport double decker at the Falkirk show at the weekend.  A very nice mans sells them for as his sign says not £29, not £19 but £9.95.  His is one of two stalls which are always a must for me at Falkirk first thing on the Saturday, the other being a stall at the front door.  This year I got a Bachmann Mk1 RMB for £15 at it.  I need to get different adverts for at least one of the double deckers as it looks a bit odd with three of them all advertising Ringtone Tea!

post-4700-0-30334000-1448975346_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 4

Having primed the platform canopy supports last week outside when it was dry I painted them today.

Although not exactly the same as the originals on balance I opted to use the Hornby supports and will scratch build the canopies round them.

Before

post-4700-0-68607400-1449523252_thumb.jpg

After

post-4700-0-89734000-1449523458_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 1

Things were going well until I came across the below black and white photo.  Thanks to Ernie (irishswissernie) for agreeing to my using it and the colour photo in this post and despite the minor headaches it gives me, thanks for uploading it, photos like this are invaluable.

A couple of modifications are now needed!!

post-4700-0-57966100-1449579727.png

Most photos of Waverley seem to have been taken from the station itself, usually from Pl 15/16 the longest one or from Pl 13/14.  From that view the partially brick sided platform of 17 is seen, but the sides of 15 and 13 are obscured.  I have always been unsure about the sides of 15, 14, 13 and 12.  I assumed they probably were partially bricked but had not found any photos to prove this.  I had tried to check it using a cab view video arriving into Pl 13 from Glasgow Central but it was not clear.

I had completed the platforms sides (or at least thought I had) using brick for part of 17 but not for the others.  Although the main thing I saw on the photo was the detail of the ramp on 11/12 I noted a dark stretch on the platform sides of 15 and 13.  I was not sure but thought it may mean they were also partially bricked.  Fortunately I then found the second colour photo and am now pretty certain that as with 17, 15 and 13 need to be partially bricked.

post-4700-0-12535600-1449579742.png

It seems most of the modifications between the 60 and 80s were done to the outer parts of the platforms which is probably why they are bricked at the buffer ends and concrete at the outer ends. 

Can anyone help with Pl 18?  It does not look like it was modified between the 60s and 80s, suggesting it would therefore be bricked, but am sure the few photos I had show concrete.  This may have only been at the very outer end.  Was mainly 101s in it which I guess were not everyone’s priority for photographing back then.

The second thing this invaluable photo showed was the extent of the wooden sides to the platform canopy on 13/14.  Again, due to the angle most photos are taken I had never seen the South facing side of this canopy.  I had noted that most of the wood was intact in the 80s on the front end and was going to replicate that, but I had no idea and had never even considered whether or not it was also still intact on the South facing edge.  As far as I can see from other photos which cover all the sides of the other canopies the wood was absent on them.

The third issue this one has thrown up is that there is what I assume was a staff ramp on the South edge of Pl 11 back form the main ramp, I assume this was to access the bothy at end of the loco siding against the South wall or even the old signal box.  Have to admit I have totally missed that one even when looking at photos taken form the tunnel.  A wee rebuild of Pl 11 is now required to try to incorporate the ramp.

Finally I can highly recommend a trawl through Ernie's photos - you never know what you may learn.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/albums/72157627198783806

Edited by Waverley47708

If it helps I have my spotters book from pretty much this time, my friend and I spent a lot of time at the end of platform 17 as there was some sort of electrical boxes there towards the end of the platform. You are right though most guys were at the end of 15/16.

In those days I took carriage numbers as well as locos so there might be some good stuff in there. I wouldn't have noted the working though so we'd be second guessing but it might be of some use.