Location and lorry help

acg5324

• 9 months later...

Just joined forum so way behind. Location prob west coast main line early 70s pre electrification. Looks like Crawford / Beattock area  but you've prob got a better answer since posting.

As for the lorry, tried zooming in but definition too poor due to pixilation but might be Bedford TK. However, I have doubts as detail looks wrong. It could be a Mercedes 1960s vintage, maybe a LS333, possibly run by Entress Haulage of Lamsamlet near Morrison, Sth Wales as the colour looks right .

If you have found out would love to know.

Just joined forum so way behind. Location prob west coast main line early 70s pre electrification. Looks like Crawford / Beattock area  but you've prob got a better answer since posting.

As for the lorry, tried zooming in but definition too poor due to pixilation but might be Bedford TK. However, I have doubts as detail looks wrong. It could be a Mercedes 1960s vintage, maybe a LS333, possibly run by Entress Haulage of Lamsamlet near Morrison, Sth Wales as the colour looks right .

Hard to make out the truck but could be a Hillmaster or perhaps Ford Thames Ttrader but both the TK and Ford do not have a split screen.

Hard to make out the truck but could be a Hillmaster or perhaps Ford Thames Ttrader but both the TK and Ford do not have a split screen.

Definitely not a trader, the location of the front axle looks set quite far back. Not sure about a Merc either. It could be a custom built cab on a mainstream chassis, I have never seen anything like it before

Definitely not a trader, the location of the front axle looks set quite far back. Not sure about a Merc either. It could be a custom built cab on a mainstream chassis, I have never seen anything like it before

I did wonder about a Magirus-Deutz, who certainly did split-screen, bonneted types until quite late. Not sure about it being an Entress lorry, though. The ones I remember from around Swansea in the 1960s were pretty conventional; Ergomatic-cabbed wagons of various makes, DAF 2800s and such like. Certainly nothing as exotic as a Magirus-Deutz.

Agree, not a Trader or Merc nor a Bedford TK nor a Rowe Hillmaster. I did wonder about Saviem but couldn't find anything to match. As 37114 muses, maybe a custom cab job? It's quite a curvy, stylish, shape and the upper part with those large windscreens make me think of some of the oddball fibreglass jobs that were around in the 1970's.

The location seems to be beyond doubt, it was a familiar spot on my frequent trips up and down the A74 in the 1980s.

The truck is a real teaser though. It looks as though it could be a Boalloy cab, the type used by ERF, Thorneycroft, Guy, BMC and numerous others in the early 1960s but the horizontal grille flanked by the headlights doesn't match the style of any of the common users of this cab.

• RMweb Premium

It may have taken 9 months but thank you all very much for nailing the tractor unit. Brilliant work..........and an unusual type too.

I'll get the caption updated shortly.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived