Modellers from Kent, Sussex, Surrey and South of the Thames

SECAG Modular Meet - 27th June 2015

WHERE AND WHEN

Subject to numbers making it a viable event, we are planning to hold our first event on Saturday 27th June from 9am - 5pm at a secret venue in Merstham, Surrey.  Obviously the closer to 9am you get there, the quicker we can get things up and running!  Just a few minutes from the M23/A23/M25 junctions, there is plenty of accommodation nearby due to its proximity to Gatwick if you are travelling some distance.

COST

I am setting the attendance cost at £20.00 per person.  This is to cover hall hire and sundries - nobody will make any profit out of this and full accounts will be sent to every member who attends to ensure transparency.  If sufficient numbers leave an excess then those who attend will decide whether to have a refund of the leftovers on the day, or to keep it in the pot towards the next meeting.

WHO CAN COME

The only conditions of entry is that you must be an active RMWeb member of 'good standing', who is able or willing to travel to Merstham on the day, and bring along one or more modules built to the RMWeb standards as laid out in the modular forum.  Modules need not be perfect or complete but they must be electrically functional in order to be able to join up with other modules and form a complete layout of some description.  You do not need to live within the SECAG catchment area to attend.

The venue and the day does not really lend itself to families/partners attending however there is plenty to do within an hour's drive including the Bluebell Railway, Bluewater and Lakeside shopping centres, Crawley etc.

At the moment I am restricting it to those bringing modules only but nearer the time I may be able to open up to a limited number of "spectator" spaces.

WHAT NEXT?

Drop an email, containing your RMWeb user name, to secag@mail.com and I will send you the "application pack" which you should then return to me by post with a cheque. 

No spaces will be confirmed until a cheque has cleared, in order to guarantee your acceptance and not leave me with a £200+ bill for a venue we no longer need.

In the event of insufficient numbers, your £20 will be returned minus a share of any "out of pocket" expenses such as loss of deposit etc.

Now that Andy Y has "given the green light" as it were, with a modular aspect being one of this year's RMWeb challenges, this would be a great opportunity for you all to start building something, long, short, straight or curved, and to have it at least electrically complete in 3 months.

I await your email :)

To a degree, yes - although I would hope that people would be imaginative and build corners as well!

I'll be plotting planned modules onto a floor plan as they come in, and it will soon become clear whether we have a problem and hopefully someone will take it upon themselves to help out.

To a degree, yes - although I would hope that people would be imaginative and build corners as well!

I'll be plotting planned modules onto a floor plan as they come in, and it will soon become clear whether we have a problem and hopefully someone will take it upon themselves to help out.

Regarding curved board I have Tim Horn making me one, I've started a new thread here regarding them

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97392-laser-cut-modular-baseboards-rmweb-spec/

and hes also designed a curved junction which may come in handy. 

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nut,

What is the deadline on returning application packs as I cant get into my email to get it atm as my laptop was wrecked in a car accident last night. Driver pulled out in front of me at a junction. I'm ok but my girlfriend has whiplash.

Gary

Sorry to hear of the accident but glad you are both mostly ok.

The decision as to whether it's viable or not will be made on 15th May, unless it becomes clear before then that it definitely is viable, or isn't.

I'm sure you will be "up and running" before then - but I fully expect there to be a few 'stragglers' anyway as people aren't sure about making a decision quite yet.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks 'Nut we will both be fine. Shame about the car though I've only had it since January and it's a total write-off!

Yes I will be "up and running" by then and will defiantly be coming.

Order for track for my module has already been placed at the local model shop just need to get the wood for the baseboards, should be electrically sorted in a couple of weeks.

Gary

Ok pencil me in with my 1x module but I'm not 100% until it's wired and tested (which will hopefully be before May). If I can knock up another quickie opposite handed I will. As I currently have a little spare time on my hands, is there a certain angled corner that would be useful as another quick knock up?

You need to drop me an email to secag@mail.com with your RMweb username so I can send you the information pack.

Something that goes round 90 degrees, whether in two 45 degree or three 30 degree boards would be quite handy. 

If it's of help, in your planning a 4ft x 16.5" board, marked with lines bottom left corner to 7" in from top left, and bottom right to 7" from top right, cut diagonally to make a trapezoid then 18" end pieces, 48" side along the bottom and 34" along the top, is as near as dammit a 45 degree corner, suitable for single or double track.  Mostly useful for plain scenery (fields etc) but a bit of creativity can do wonders.

I still have my template for the Warren Lane curved boards, they were 3x 60 degrees to do the 180. Won't take much tweaking to create a single board 90 degree from that.

If/when we find out whether my 'Daves' are compatible with everyone else's 'Daves', I've got an 18ft fiddle yard which can easily be converted in the future.

I have a 12ft fiddle yard complete and working on a return loop for the other end so if someone brings a junction we can have a branch line as well :)  Smaller is probably better though for getting in a car (or were you the guy with the yellow van?)  The dimensions I listed about give a 5ft x 5ft approx. 90 degree curve.

Of course, if done properly, people forget that a standalone module, with a clip-on "backscene" if a suitable outdoors position isn't available, becomes a very convenient photography plank...

Nope, we have my fiddle yard for one end, the single to double track converter board I have for the other end, and then my "return to sender" which will hopefully at least be electrically functional so that's about a 40 foot out and back run (not including my fiddle yard length)

Might just not be a very exciting session...

My hope is that people are waiting to see what develops, and get something started before commiting themselves (even though its 3 months from this weekend so plenty of time for a basic module).

Archived