Pragmatic Pre-Grouping - Mikkel's Workbench

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Very interesting Mikkel. I must try my Green Stuff roller at some point.

I wonder if the foam could be sealed with Shellac or even PVA once you've formed the pattern to give a harder skin which would be more robust for painting etc. I've seen this done for card and Palight.

like you I'm not sure about the circular sett pattern though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I think the picture that shows the most realistic setts,

is picture 3 (what you call 'poor results).

The slightly uneven finish/surface is more natural,

and more like what you would see in 'real' life.

Just my opinion of course.

• Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, jcm@gwr said:

I think the picture that shows the most realistic setts,

is picture 3 (what you call 'poor results).

The slightly uneven finish/surface is more natural,

and more like what you would see in 'real' life.

Just my opinion of course.

I agree with Jeff. That looks just like setts that have seen a hard life. A few have lifted, and the mortar, or whatever filled the gaps, has come out of the joints in places. Excellent effect.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

My thoughts as well. However I dont think a GWR yard in Edwardian days would be poorly maintained.  Ideal for todays cash strapped council maintained areas though.

Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Donw said:

My thoughts as well. However I dont think a GWR yard in Edwardian days would be poorly maintained.  Ideal for todays cash strapped council maintained areas though.

Don

Yes a lot depends on the time period being modelled.

I can remember cobbles back in the sixties & sometimes they were all over the place. However I'm sure that they weren't always like that.

I do like that photo which shows them having moved about.

The rollers are very good but they look too perfect for me.

Tony.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I agree that picture 3 with the 'lifted' setts are more like the ones I have seen but I am not sure they would have been like that in 1905.  My memory of those days is a bit poor I am afraid.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

We had at least one road that had been resurfaced with tarmac back whenever it was done.  Every time a major hole was dug for one of the services the old wooden block road surface was revealed and broken through.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the insights, sounds like I was too quick to dismiss the "poor" results then! At least for a latter-day setting. I agree that in a 1900s goods yard the GWR would probably have got their act together and kept the setts in good order so the 'osses could fare safely.  Photos also seem to suggest that.

On the subject of blue foam, here's an introductory video if anyone is interested. There are some nice technique tips in the latter half of the video (he also mentions his preferred brand of blue foam, but I can only find that variety in bulk form at high cost).

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 5

On 9 June 2019 at 22:33, ullypug said:

Very interesting Mikkel. I must try my Green Stuff roller at some point.

I wonder if the foam could be sealed with Shellac or even PVA once you've formed the pattern to give a harder skin which would be more robust for painting etc. I've seen this done for card and Palight.

like you I'm not sure about the circular sett pattern though.

I made a domed roof for an inspection car using pizza base foam, which is just as soft, and then sealed it with an aliphatic glue, after which it was rock hard and could be sanded down for a good finish. Looking around for a similar product I came across this website, with which I have no connection http://www.phoenixmp.com/acatalog/DeLuxe_Adhesives.html which does offer a number of interesting liquids that I was not aware of, that might be of use.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Nick Holliday said:

I made a domed roof for an inspection car using pizza base foam, which is just as soft, and then sealed it with an aliphatic glue, after which it was rock hard and could be sanded down for a good finish. Looking around for a similar product I came across this website, with which I have no connection http://www.phoenixmp.com/acatalog/DeLuxe_Adhesives.html which does offer a number of interesting liquids that I was not aware of, that might be of use.

The 'Liquid Gravity' looks useful as well.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

Liquid Gravity is tiny lead shot - very tiny, about 0.3mm dia. Very useful for squeezing extra weight into the underframes of wagons, etc. You pour it in loose then drop some superglue on.

The Liquid Gravity on the website is specifically non-toxic, and doesn't contain lead. Perhaps uranium instead?

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

I've been using the Liquid Gravity from Deluxe Models (which  as mentioned above isn't actually lead) for some time under wagons with no problems - but there is a debate as to whether it will eventually expand or crack, depending on the glue used. I have been monitoring a particular wagon for some years and will post a photo of the current condition when I'm back home. Meanwhile some earlier photos and comments here:  

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97672-pragmatic-pre-grouping-mikkels-workbench/&do=findComment&comment=2565516

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Nick Holliday said:

The Liquid Gravity on the website is specifically non-toxic, and doesn't contain lead. Perhaps uranium instead?

You jest, I know of certain racers who used depleted uranium to bring their vehicle up to minimum class spec weight.

Could actually be tungsten.

• Agree 2