Burton On Trent in N2

RBE

I don't think multiple-worked Class 47s appeared until fairly recently; a single one would probably work 11 100t tanks.

If memory serves correctly RFD did the first large scale multiple working on 47s in the late 90s just prior to privatisation. Think a regular pair was on the Swindon to Longbridge car parts train. The wagons off this service are all now sadly dumped in Washwood Heath Yard.

If memory serves correctly RFD did the first large scale multiple working on 47s in the late 90s just prior to privatisation. Think a regular pair was on the Swindon to Longbridge car parts train. The wagons off this service are all now sadly dumped in Washwood Heath Yard.

I think you're correct; some of the Channel Tunnel services rated a pair of 47s as well. Not all the Longbridge wagons are at Washwood Heath; some see use with Colas on timber traffic, I believe.

I seem to recall that due to teething problems with the class 60s, Immingham kept on a pool of 47s to cover the workings. They did double head some heavier workings but understand that two drivers were required due to the lack of multiple working equipment. I am sure that someone on here can provide more info.

6695841133_b14a9f7ab1_z.jpgDouble Headed Oil Train At Melton Ross. by neilh156, on Flickr

I also think that pairs of 31s also remained on some workings for longer than was originally planned.

• Like 1

Nice picture Alex, as I said I remember single 47's on tanks through chesterfield so obviously a geographical thing. The ones in Burton being 31 hauled.

I think that I'll put a pair of 31's on mine. I'm sure I can muster a dummy 31 out of some bits to do the double heading. I hate to waste motive power if not necessary. I do like the TEAs with the full solebar too, you don't see those modelled to often as Bachmann/farishes TEAs are the centre spine type with the short end solebars. I may have to scratchbuild some of the other type and do a mix of those and the farish ones.

When I first started on the railway in 1990, I visited Kingsbury many times and it was pairs of 31's on the tanks up until the 60's took over. The 47's run single on the tanks to be worth and the green circle multiple working was fitted around 93/94 when I was working at Washwood Heath sidings. Phillips Imperial was one of the 31's in petroleum colours I remember seeing on the Kingsbury tanks.

Good info there cheers. I plan on getting two more 31s, a railfreight one and a petroleum one to run the Kingsburys. Philips Imperial may be a good candidate!

I've been looking at TEAs online today (real ones not models) I'm 100% thinking that I will scratchbuild a rake. I'm fancying something a little different from the farish model as its really the only one available in model form. There appears to have also been a few full solebar versions as well, one with the gloucester bogies as per the farish model with a single ladder each end, one on schlieren M25t bogies with a single ladder and one on M25ts with a double ladder each end and similar versions with gloucester GPS bogies. Does any of you know which types worked out of Kingsbury or am I free to model what I like?

Edited by RBE

Me too to be honest. You don't get to scratchbuild stock so much these days with the high quality stuff thats out there. I do of course like to tinker with everything I run mind as most know I'm sure.

Anyway having found this video it appears that the tanks were quite varied in diagram and the first train being class 60 hauled appeared to be full solebar with GPS bogies. The second was more like the farish versions although the video quality isnt upto todays standards.

Some nice examples of trains running in the area though which gives a flavour of things to come. Anyway as for the tanks I think I'll do a mix of GPS, M25t and the standard gloucester I think. should make for an interesting rake. I may simply scratchbuild 8 out of the 10 and use 2 farish ones also although I will need to add finer ladders and better walkways of course.

Speaking of motive power, I have been a bit naughty today and picked myself up a class 60. It will need a respray (of course) but I wouldn't have it any other way! The 5 year 1988 to 1993 anything goes between those goalposts is now certainly in action. Looks like for the time being the Kingsbury's will be in the hands of some brush power.

I have also been working on the passenger timetable by researching the full national timetable for 1989 that I picked up. Very interesting and brought back memories from the days when I had one as a kid to train spot to!

Much like Millers Dale I plan to run the passenger trains to a timetable with pre-recorded station announcements being played through speakers under the station. There are far fewer trains in reality than would entertain under exhibition conditions so may have to boost the numbers of services but keep the order and destinations the same. The freight stuff will be fit in between to fill the gaps in traffic. When I put it to the missus she said why don't you just do actual real life times for the passenger trains and fill the rest of the time with freights. It may be a good call but I'm not too sure myself. The passenger train fans might get upset if they have to wait 40 mins for an HST to come!

Edited by RBE
  • Like 2

If you want to run more passenger services at exhibitions you could just use the current timetable. There are 4 passenger trains an hour through Burton now. Three of which stop at the station and one that passes straight through.

Must admit I'm with you're missus though but I may be a bit biased.

Looking forward to seeing you're Class 60 and the scratch built tanks.

Marcus.

Its a pretty good call by the missus tbh. Between 10am and 5pm there were approx 20 trains each way, not bad really. Exhibitions are cruel though and although to me the waiting is part of the 'trainspotting' experience most punters dont agree.

I'm looking forward to my 60 arriving. Cant wait to crack the paintstripper out!

• Like 1

3TG with Petroleum decals I presume will be the finished article.

You mentioned earlier about 31327 Phillips Imperial. That would be a good call as I've definitely seen that on Buxton shed. Got a picture somewhere if I can dig it out so would go nicely on Millers Dale eventually as well.

Indeed Marcus. Just have to decide on a number now!

I do quite fancy Phillips Imperial I have to say. I may just do it as a dummy though for use when on the tanks and then just rotor the powered loco. Not sure yet.

post-6894-0-79095900-1435218787.jpg

• Like 5

Morning Cav, some very interesting stuff on the Video and I can see (only just, because its N GAUGE) some nice traffic flows, just as I remember them back in 2005 when even then the line was awash with freight, it really was something about one every 15 minutes back then.

Ah Barnetby. I used to go there a fair bit as a kid. Was always a good day out.

Andy I will get you some glasses so that you can enjoy the delights of Burton On Trent!

Indeed Marcus. Just have to decide on a number now!

I do quite fancy Phillips Imperial I have to say. I may just do it as a dummy though for use when on the tanks and then just rotor the powered loco. Not sure yet.

attachicon.gifIMG_20150625_085107.jpg

31233, this used to be a regular at Springs Branch on the Ashton in Makerfield bitumen diagram, think it was sometimes double headed. 31201 Fina Energy seems to ring a bell also before it got transfered to the Coal sector.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity