R 3221

Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

E mail from Hornby announcing its arrival and the other two Duchesses expected. Slight problem which I hope is not repeated on the actual model itself is that at least two of the images displayed show the number as 46223 and not as it should be as 46233.Fingers crossed!

• RMweb Gold

I hope the error was in the development stage and it's not repeated either on the artwork on the packaging or the actual model itself.Most unfortunate to promote a new to the market product with such alarming mistakes on show.I hope for the sake of all at Butterley that Hornby have picked up on this.Not the first time that mistakes are printed on the box...

One of my favourite engines.

Was v impressed to see 46233 at Birmingham international on the Saturday if he warley show last year. My 2 year old thinks it's normal that Duchesses run alongside Pendolinos on the wcml as a consequence!

Went to Euston behind her last summer and over Shap earlier this year. Something special for those of us post 1968ers to see mainline steam on their proper routes

• RMweb Gold

E mail from Hornby announcing its arrival and the other two Duchesses expected. Slight problem which I hope is not repeated on the actual model itself is that at least two of the images displayed show the number as 46223 and not as it should be as 46233.Fingers crossed!

I think Hornby have read your post Ian, this has appeared on the page for R3221 on Hornby's website:

"Please note: running number is 46233 as stated on the livery sheet, not 46223 as shown on the product image."

• RMweb Gold

I think Hornby have read your post Ian, this has appeared on the page for R3221 on Hornby's website:

"Please note: running number is 46233 as stated on the livery sheet, not 46223 as shown on the product image."

Well then.....that's my good deed of the day.....but it obviously came too late for the box !

• RMweb Gold

And Hattons have obliged. Loco shows correct 46233 but the b##### box is goofed exactly as I thought.Why oh why was that necessary? I'm sure that very soon PMRTOURS will be using this set as a raffle prize on 46233's main line excursions.Oops...sorry,wrong number....and some explaining to be done.Fortunately not what it says on the tin.

Still as one of her drivers said to me last October after an exhilarating run over Shap Fell ...."She's a cracking engine"....,77 years young.

Maybe it's a new thing for 'collectibility". Perhaps there's a deliberate error on select boxes. After all we know just how 'valuable' the boxes are. ;)

We've seen spellings like "Churchwood" - I think this was on a 2884. 

The Drummond 700 apparently is dimensioned as having an overally length of 87,026 mm (which is pretty big) with a much more plausible 5,029mm wheelbase.

There was a lot of confusion over whether the Hall (Railroad or regular range) would have a five-pole or a three pole motor too though this was in pre-production descriptions. I don't think there was an issue with the box.

This reminds me of this old thread.

I will admit that it really is difficult getting all the details right, but it feels like in the collateral (catalogue, on-line descriptions and box sleeves, more than the product itself) there are still a lot of errors getting through.

I also really like Hornby's new habit of including the livery sheet in their on-line collateral. This is a really terrific change on their part.

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't mind so much but this one is special.A lot of loving care is lavished on 46233 and it's a disappointment that such a fundamental error should have gone unchecked.

It is a shame that the box art is still incorrect but at least the loco bears the correct number.

The current HST packs have incorrect box descriptions too. The blue grey ones are described as 'Inter-City Executive'. I know these little things don't have any effect on the products, but it does smack of incompetence and lack of attention to detail.

Back to topic, sort of, does anyone know how easy it would be for Hornby to tweak their toolings to make either46256 or 46257? I'm sure the former would sell by the bucket

Alternatively is there a mod kit to convert and is it a difficult to do?

Archived