Modbury

Ian Smith

• RMweb Gold

Ian, your progress with this project is wonderful, but as far as the motion on that Railmotor goes I am sorry, there is only one word to describe it ... STUNNING!

Absolutely amazing given the size and scale, the 'round of applause' button really isn't enough!

Rich

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

The jury is still out as to whether I bother putting in any of the brake pull rods - I'll have a look to see how naked it looks under there once the bogies are in place.

Also, the TRG (through regulator gear). I always liked the general extra “busyness” of autocoaches and SRMs, but it’s fiddly stuff in any scale, and as you are building “layout models”, possibly of questionable visibility.

• RMweb Gold

Superb work on this Ian.  Yes even in 2mm those brass cylinders (presumably solid) are a fair chunk for an 18w iron.

now that next project could it be a duke?

Don

6 hours ago, Donw said:

now that next project could it be a duke?

Don

Don,

next project is indeed a Duke. I built the 4 coupled chassis some time ago (can’t remember whether I posted a photo of it here).  My aim is to have it running for the Aldershot exhibition in October (I doubt whether I’ll progress it too far by RailWells as I want to get the Rail Motor completed first).

Ian

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Superb work as always, Ian.

I was recommended to use a black undercoat for CR coaches as that gave a richer tone to the purple brown and it seems to work.  Still needs several thin coats, but then I do that anyway, preferring to brush paint rather than spray, other than the undercoat.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

23 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Any idea of how long 93 had been in service, when that photo was taken?

I understand that 93's restoration was completed in 2011.

The first photo was at Old Oak Common in 2017. The second at Southall in 2014.

• RMweb Gold

It's beautiful already Ian, and you're not even done yet. The interior is so neatly done I didn't think it was handmade at first.

I struggle with that version of the monogram, it has always seemed a bit clumsy to me though I suppose it was modern for its time. still, no getting around it for this prototype and period.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

I understand that 93's restoration was completed in 2011.

The first photo was at Old Oak Common in 2017. The second at Southall in 2014.

There's not huge difference in the roof blackening over the 3 years between the photo's, I do realize that 93 doesn't get the same amount of usage, that it would have, if it was in almost daily service. It would be useful to have a more recent photo, as a weathering reference.

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

There's not huge difference in the roof blackening over the 3 years between the photo's, I do realize that 93 doesn't get the same amount of usage, that it would have, if it was in almost daily service. It would be useful to have a more recent photo, as a weathering reference.

A weathering reference if one is modelling the preserved vehicles but irrelevant to @Ian Smith's period as the paint technology was different. 

The white-lead based roof paint would gradually have darkened (fairly universally) as the result of a chemical reaction to the hydrogen sulphide traces in the air and this wouldn't happen with modern paints. The blackening effect of smoke smuts emitted from the funnel would be overlaid on this and there would probably be little difference in this effect between now and a century ago.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I don’t know whether No 93 was actually completed in 2011 or if that was the year the financial grant was awarded to allow work to be progressed.

Either way, in mileage terms it probably hadn’t done all that many when either of those photos were taken (at least not compared to when originally in service). As others have said modern paints don’t react to the (far less/different) air pollution as the old lead based paint did.

My understanding of the current state of No 93 is that it is now out of service as it needs a boiler refurb or recertification.

Edit

I’ve just looked on the Didcot/Steam Railmotor website and it would appear that No93 entered service in June 2012.

Edited by Ian Smith
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

I don’t know whether No 93 was actually completed in 2011 or if that was the year the financial grant was awarded to allow work to be progressed.

Either way, in mileage terms it probably hadn’t done all that many when either of those photos were taken (at least not compared to when originally in service). As others have said modern paints don’t react to the (far less/different) air pollution as the old lead based paint did.

My understanding of the current state of No 93 is that it is now out of service as it needs a boiler refurb or recertification.

Edit

I’ve just looked on the Didcot/Steam Railmotor website and it would appear that No93 entered service in June 2012.

It was used on photo charters at Llangollen soon after completion in March 2011, but it had a few niggles, hence not being officially launched into service for another year.

2022-06-14_12-19-29.jpg.378ebe8770fd43dadf1ff3227c5b2877.jpg

Not the clearest image (lo-res upload to Flickr) but even after a few days of use the roof was starting to get weathered. Berwyn tunnel wouldn't have helped though.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, 5944 said:

Yes, good point! 

Thanks - I thought I was merely being a pedant. But we should take leaf out of the geologists' book and consider physical, chemical, and biological weathering, even though we are not looking at erosion. Dirt deposited on the surface is, I suppose, our physical weathering; rusting and the darkening of white lead-based paint by reaction with atmospheric pollutants are certainly examples of chemical weathering; I suppose for biological weathering we have to look at rot.

Edited by Compound2632