Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

On the back of a low loader seen by me from an overtaking coach northbound near Keele Services yesterday at 09:35 with front of loco pointing southward.No tender in sight .The interesting thing is its name "Wells" and not "City Of Wells" i.e its original name.Anyone know anything about this loco and its movements ?

On the back of a low loader seen by me from an overtaking coach northbound near Keele Services yesterday at 09:35 with front of loco pointing southward.No tender in sight .The interesting thing is its name "Wells" and not "City Of Wells" i.e its original name.Anyone know anything about this loco and its movements ?

Ian,

I believe it's been working on the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway recently, and is due to move to the East Lancs Railway about now (so that's probably where it was heading when you saw it). Home railway is the KVWR - it was steamed last year after a 25 year restoration. There is a bit more information here;

http://news.kwvr.co.uk/category/34092-city-of-wells-sr-west-country-4-6-2/

Andy

RE: It's original name

I don't know all the in's and out's of the subject, but the engine was originally called "Wells" before Wells achieved city status. Upon this event, the name was amended.

Regards,
Matt

• RMweb Gold

I don't know all the in's and out's of the subject, but the engine was originally called "Wells" before Wells achieved city status. Upon this event, the name was amended.

Regards,

Matt

Built in March 1949, No. 34092 was a member of the final batch of 20 West Country Class locomotives ordered.[7] It was based at Stewarts Lane (73A) until it was moved to Salisbury (72B). While at Stewarts Lane, it was named 'Wells' by the mayor of Wells on 25 November 1949[7] (changed to 'City of Wells', unique amongst the rest of its class which were named only after the town, city or region, in March 1950).

source, Wikipedia

• RMweb Gold

Regards,

Matt

Wells as a whole has been a city since 1933; before that, AIUI only the parish of Wells St Andrew was technically a city. The name of the engine was changed after the then Bishop of Bath and Wells wrote to BR to complain.

• RMweb Gold

No its not, its sitting on my dining room table awaiting crew :sungum:

My one is actually 'City of Wells' as it was in last days of BR service.

• RMweb Gold

Built in March 1949, No. 34092 was a member of the final batch of 20 West Country Class locomotives ordered.[7] It was based at Stewarts Lane (73A) until it was moved to Salisbury (72B). While at Stewarts Lane, it was named 'Wells' by the mayor of Wells on 25 November 1949[7] (changed to 'City of Wells', unique amongst the rest of its class which were named only after the town, city or region, in March 1950).

source, Wikipedia

Derry - West Country & Battle of Britain Pacifics, Irwell Press - quotes 9/49 for the in-traffic date, which fits with his quoted dates of those numbered around it. The transfer to Salisbury is quoted as 26/5/61, entirely believable as Kent Coast Phase 2 was completed about then, making Stew Lane's allocation redundant.

Archived